The Student Room Group

[Golden Thread] Top tips for dealing with stress and upcoming plans/changes

This is a golden thread. Join in with this discussion before 31st August 2019 to be in with a chance of winning an Amazon Voucher!!

This time of year can be really stressful whether you're awaiting exam results, about to take your next big life leap, or whatever else might be happening in your life.

It can be so much easier to cope with big changes or extra stress by having healthy coping mechanisms and knowing how to look after yourself when it feels like things are just piling up, but it can be hard to know where to start.

So, what are your top tips for dealing with stress and upcoming change/plans? Your tips based on your experience might be exactly what someone needs to know at the same point in their life, and you might pick up some good ones yourself!

The more threads you post in, the higher chance you have of winning! This year's golden threads are listed below :yep:
Golden Threads 2019You can post in all of the other golden threads using the following links
1 - Post a gif/meme about results day
2 - Dear Teacher
3 - Fast Food/Restaurant Chain Hurt/Heal
4 - If you changed your TSR username - what would you change it to and why?
5 - What are your favourite memories of University?
6 - Top tips for dealing with stress/upcoming plans
7 - If you had to read one book which would it be
8 - Guess what is here and win it!
9 - University Students: What did you wish you knew?
10 - Which animal do you most relate to?
(edited 4 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Holding my hamster helps me loads with my stress levels :love: hes so warm and floofy
tbh I don't deal with either very well :colondollar:
I like to have stuff planned :ninja:
so for me usually doing something about it helps
if that's re-planning very quickly or contacting people or just doing something vaguely productive :hide:
idk, meditate or something.
In regards to uni stress: having a time and hobby outside of uni - for me everything I did revolved around science, from what I studied to what I read and watched on TV. Having started picking up reading fiction books and going to the gym, my mind feels able to relax and actually feel sharper when it does come to studying!
Use up your time.

Meet friends; if you have no friends or they're unavailable then go outside and walk anywhere with some music in your ears. Drive with some music playing with no concrete destination.

Eat healthily and cook proper meals everyday, ones that take planning and preparation, something you have never done before.

Clean, with some music in your ears of course.

Create an exercise plan and stick to it. Get the endorphins rushing.

Know that it's probably not worth stressing over. For example if you're worried about not getting into uni when you're 18, take a look at people a few years older, some people resat twice, some people went to uni as a mature student, some never went. This bubble isn't your entire life. If you're stressed about something which you think will never get any better, then do the things above and realise that it's better to focus on doing what's best for now. An analogy is a pension; for many, the best option for the future is to put money into a pension, but it isn't worth worrying about what ifs in thirty years, because there's nothing you can do about that, they just choose the best option for now.

Have back up plans, making sure you have the resources to fulfill them.
Reply 6
Are you studying in university yourself?
What do you major in?
Original post by Noodlzzz
In regards to uni stress: having a time and hobby outside of uni - for me everything I did revolved around science, from what I studied to what I read and watched on TV. Having started picking up reading fiction books and going to the gym, my mind feels able to relax and actually feel sharper when it does come to studying!
same:redface: :tongue:
Original post by CheeseIsVeg
tbh I don't deal with either very well :colondollar:
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by rjckk
Are you studying in university yourself?
What do you major in?

PhD psychology :smile:
If your stressed have an early night then the next morning go on a walk, I think this helps me clear my head and relax a bit more, especially listening to music too. If you have lots to do and stressed about that make a list of everything you need to do and work you way through making sure you give yourself regular breaks. Then at the end of the day a shower or bath is refreshing then I either watch tv, read or listen to music to help me wind down :smile:
A penguin because I'm just waddling through life.

(edited 4 years ago)
Old Mout 10 pack.
Holding Cavy's hamster when she's not looking.
Original post by CoolCavy
Holding my hamster helps me loads with my stress levels :love: hes so warm and floofy
Original post by Oxford Mum
Holding Cavy's hamster when she's not looking.

:rofl:

this made me laugh a lot :colondollar:

stop stealing sebastian :slap:
Woah now I'm in big trouble

:creep::hide:

Original post by CoolCavy
:rofl:

this made me laugh a lot :colondollar:

stop stealing sebastian :slap:
Reply 15
Don't be stressed, problem solved no need to thank me.
Reply 16
For dealing with stress
Release stress/anger, do something to calm down, do something you enjoy and that makes you happy, go back with a clear positive mind and think things true clearly.
I usually just cry it out, go for a walk and listen to music, clean the kitchen and then make my favourite food. After that I’m calm and can think clearly and more positively.
(edited 4 years ago)
Also, don't be hard on yourself if you have to defer an exam, bail on meeting a friend, feel unable to cope with coursework. Love yourself.
For dealing with plans, I always make sure I plan everything - including considering a worst case scenario.

I often coped with stress by surprisingly doing more work for something else - especially if I had exams the next week/day as this was useful and took my mind off of the previous exam(s)
I have no tips - the only way I "cope" is to keep myself to myself, know exactly when I need to be somewhere, drive myself (or my partner drives me) and get there on time. I can't deal with involving other people in my plans (i.e. giving lifts because I don't know if they'd be ready on time, or what might happen), I just cope by doing what I need to do, and getting to where I need to be, on my own. I do get stressed if plans change, but I just quickly edit my leaving and arrival times and breathe!

My dad stresses me out to the max every time we need to be somewhere. He could just say "be at x place for x time" but he never does. He hassles me, telling me the time I've chosen to leave is too late, and I'll be late, and there will be no parking, and I should just go with him (I prefer the control of driving myself), and what happens if I get a parking ticket if I have to park elsewhere. Bear in mind, I always choose a perfect time to set out as I overthink it massively, and I always make sure there will be plenty of parking options. He knows I have anxiety, yet he goes on and on and on at me for days leading up to going anywhere, spoiling whatever it is we're actually doing. At my uncle's funeral the other month I was going separately because I couldn't stay all day as I had to get back to work, and he spent ages saying I couldn't turn up separately as it would "look bad on the family and get people talking", and that I had to leave earlier. In the end I arrived 20 minutes before he did, leaving me with that long to overthink the fact I was about to be face to face with dozens of family members. A horrible situation, which I didn't want to give myself time to sit and think about! Anyone with anxiety knows how painful being talked about can be - but I'm 28 years old for goodness sake, I don't have to turn up to everything with my parents anymore. Drives me round the bend.

Quick Reply

Latest