The Student Room Group

[Golden Thread] University Students: What are things you wish you knew?

Scroll to see replies

Ah I see! Apologies! Just didn’t want people thinking this was the only possibility at uni!
That I should have applied to Bristol (didn't like Manchester as a city)
That if you’re older and disabled studying postgrad you’re invisible to everyone apart from the new freshers who think it’s funny to laugh at someone with visible disabilities:frown:
Those were some worthless individuals
Mental health should have priority over university success - not working yourself into a mental breakdown because of academic presure
prsom
Original post by Oxford Mum
Those were some worthless individuals
There is a portrayal of university that is common to many types of media. I didn't really expect these things, but I've seen many people who do.

"First year is easy" - well yes in comparison to the later years, but not in comparison to A level. I imagine most of the people who say this didn't get >85%. Even though a lot was repeated in first year (but taught properly), it was still much harder than A level. Don't be silly and aim for 40%, because when everything you did in first year is assumed knowledge for second year, you're going to have to do a years worth of catching up.

The notion that you will make the best friends ever and have lots of social time with them. Well, yes this does happen if you're used to it happening, going to university doesn't change you; if you've struggled with it before, you'll probably still continue to struggle with it, unless you decide to work on it and it's difficult to. Get used to being on your own for extended periods of time.

I've often seen people, say that you will sign up for every society club thingy in freshers week. But I've never signed up to a single one ever and I know people who are in the same boat.

"Student loans are free money" - Okay, so this one isn't common, but I have heard someone say this. No they are not, interest starts as soon as you get your first payment and it has to be paid back. OTOH, try to learn how student loan repayments work, because there is a false notion of it being crippling, when it's really 9% of income above a particular threshold that is paid monthly.

"Everyone is a left wing social justice snowflake" - If you think this you need to STOP watching YouTube and go outside.

And here are some of the things I thought, which were wrong. Many things I thought were very uncommon actually aren't; I thought no one believes in creationism in this day and age, well, nope there are some heavily devout people in religious societies. General knowledge too, I've met people who don't know what an HDMI or vga cable, what google chrome was and I thought that no one my age is that bad with tech at my age in this year. Nope some people are clueless with those things. And I thought the lack of knowledge of cooking and cleaning was just made up, surely everyone elses parents taught them how to cook meals, use a washing machine and how to maintain a house from an early age, right?? Well, people come in without knowledge of how to use basic kitchen appliances, which is sad.
Original post by princessmaire80
That if you’re older and disabled studying postgrad you’re invisible to everyone apart from the new freshers who think it’s funny to laugh at someone with visible disabilities:frown:

You'd think you're in a more mature environment when you get to university, but some people just don't emotionally mature after a really young age, I guarantee that's going to be a rare experience and they are in the minority and I do empathize with you, because if someone said that about my hidden disability, which I have expressed to close friends, I would be distressed.
Original post by NotNotBatman
There is a portrayal of university that is common to many types of media. I didn't really expect these things, but I've seen many people who do.

"First year is easy" - well yes in comparison to the later years, but not in comparison to A level. I imagine most of the people who say this didn't get >85%. Even though a lot was repeated in first year (but taught properly), it was still much harder than A level. Don't be silly and aim for 40%, because when everything you did in first year is assumed knowledge for second year, you're going to have to do a years worth of catching up.

The notion that you will make the best friends ever and have lots of social time with them. Well, yes this does happen if you're used to it happening, going to university doesn't change you; if you've struggled with it before, you'll probably still continue to struggle with it, unless you decide to work on it and it's difficult to. Get used to being on your own for extended periods of time.

I've often seen people, say that you will sign up for every society club thingy in freshers week. But I've never signed up to a single one ever and I know people who are in the same boat.

"Student loans are free money" - Okay, so this one isn't common, but I have heard someone say this. No they are not, interest starts as soon as you get your first payment and it has to be paid back. OTOH, try to learn how student loan repayments work, because there is a false notion of it being crippling, when it's really 9% of income above a particular threshold that is paid monthly.

"Everyone is a left wing social justice snowflake" - If you think this you need to STOP watching YouTube and go outside.

And here are some of the things I thought, which were wrong. Many things I thought were very uncommon actually aren't; I thought no one believes in creationism in this day and age, well, nope there are some heavily devout people in religious societies. General knowledge too, I've met people who don't know what an HDMI or vga cable, what google chrome was and I thought that no one my age is that bad with tech at my age in this year. Nope some people are clueless with those things. And I thought the lack of knowledge of cooking and cleaning was just made up, surely everyone elses parents taught them how to cook meals, use a washing machine and how to maintain a house from an early age, right?? Well, people come in without knowledge of how to use basic kitchen appliances, which is sad.

You've just described my uni experience in a nutshell (apart from the student loan, which we did not have in those days). I am not even speaking to my best friend from uni, as she just despises me and the relationship was toxic. I didn't find my present best friend until I was 50. PRSOM.
Tell you in 2 years time :colonhash:
Reply 50

I think people who talk about signing up to loads of societies are a saying you should do this, rather than you will do this. Its a recommendation, not a psychic prediction.
Original post by desou
I think people who talk about signing up to loads of societies are a saying you should do this, rather than you will do this. Its a recommendation, not a psychic prediction.

I've interpreted "you will" as it's the most common thing to do, rather than a suggestion. But I didn't see a lot of people doing that, even extraverted types.
Reply 52
I've interpreted "you will" as it's the most common thing to do, rather than a suggestion. But I didn't see a lot of people doing that, even extraverted types.

But who say "you will sign up to loads of societies"? I've never heard anyone say that until you said it just now.

Whereas, I've heard plenty of people say "you should sign up to loads of societies and go and try them out", hell, I've said that myself - its good advice.
Original post by desou
But who say "you will sign up to loads of societies"? I've never heard anyone say that until you said it just now.

Whereas, I've heard plenty of people say "you should sign up to loads of societies and go and try them out", hell, I've said that myself - its good advice.

I've heard plenty of people say it and have read articles and watch YouTube videos with the same thing. I think you're taking it too literally, as I said they are referring to what they think is the norm. I don't disagree that what you've said is good advice.
Reply 54
That your friends leave you once you graduate.
Original post by UWS

Some of my best friends (26 now) I met at uni
Original post by Strelzo
Tell you in 2 years time :colonhash:

I look forward to it:rolleyes:
Original post by UWS

friends can't leave you if you don't make any friends :wink:
Original post by Oxford Mum
That I should have applied to Bristol (didn't like Manchester as a city)

you mean.... you didn't go to Oxford? :eek:
No noodlz. Surprised? In fact I am fundamentally unsuited to Oxford

Quick Reply

Latest