The Student Room Group

Am I qualified level 3 early years even though I didn't get UCAS points

So I've just finished my level 3 diploma childcare and education. I completed all units and 2 externally marked assessments, however I only passed one of these. One of these was half way through the course , I failed it, had one reattempt and failed again but passed the 2nd one at the end of the course. I don't want to go on to uni anyway , so my question is have I failed my whole course and am now not level 3 qualified ? Or am I but I can't get into university.
Has anybody done this course and what was your experiences.
I hope that makes sense
Thanks?
Original post by Emma Dee
So I've just finished my level 3 diploma childcare and education. I completed all units and 2 externally marked assessments, however I only passed one of these. One of these was half way through the course , I failed it, had one reattempt and failed again but passed the 2nd one at the end of the course. I don't want to go on to uni anyway , so my question is have I failed my whole course and am now not level 3 qualified ? Or am I but I can't get into university.
Has anybody done this course and what was your experiences.
I hope that makes sense
Thanks?

Ask your tutor or the exam board.

Have they said you passed or failed?
Care to link the qualification?

Normally you have to pass every part, but you need to look at the qualification. What does your results slip say? Have they offered you another chance to resit? If I was guessing you have to pass each part, but it is worth talking to exam board or tutor, especially if you can save the qualification.
Reply 2
Hi .
I assumed I'd failed but my tutor said , oh no you've qualified as a level 3 early years educator, you just don't have enough UCAS points to go to university but we can give you a glowing reference should you want to progress. So at first I was over the moon ecstatic, but I just can't believe you can fail a small part of a course and be qualified?
The course is :-

https://www.qualhub.co.uk/qualification-search/qualification-detail/level-3-diploma-in-childcare-and-education-early-years-educator-69

They assumed I wanted to go to university . So of the 2 externally marked assessments I've failed the first one but passed the 2nd one.
I hope I have passed but I've searched and searched and searched the internet but can't find anything or anyone who has been in a similar position.
You might be able to go to some specific universites aligned with the subjects you did your diploma in. You'll have to call universities and ask. I'd start with the modern universities.

Most of them are very flexible with entry requirements.

I assumed I'd failed but my tutor said , oh no you've qualified as a level 3 early years educator, you just don't have enough UCAS points to go to university but we can give you a glowing reference should you want to progress. So at first I was over the moon ecstatic, but I just can't believe you can fail a small part of a course and be qualified?
The course is, CACHE Level 3 Diploma in childcare and education.

They assumed I wanted to go to university.
So of the 2 externally marked assessments I've failed the first one but passed the 2nd one.
I hope I have passed but I've searched and searched and searched the internet but can't find anything or anyone who has been in a similar position.
Hi .
The course is :-

https://www.qualhub.co.uk/qualification-search/qualification-detail/level-3-diploma-in-childcare-and-education-early-years-educator-69

They assumed I wanted to go to university . So of the 2 externally marked assessments I've failed the first one but passed the 2nd one.

Have had a look for you and suggest you need to contact cache to see exactly what has gone on and whether it can be remedied, both your explanation and that of your tutors isnt clear enough to tell you exactly where you are.

Things you need to talk through with them:

1. What qualification and grade do you have? Is it a D?

2. In terms of resits then can you:

A) Have a further attempt at resit? I have seen 2 but also 3. If it is 3 then that means you have one further attempt and I would 100% take it if it exists. It appears the assessment is worth a massive 30% of your qualification? Was it a written piece?

B) Can you transfer the credits to another qualification and take it all again? Just like resitting A levels but transfer the good credits so you dont have to redo them.
Whether or not I was going to uni I would prefer the full qualification for employment purposes as you need a good grade not the min imo.

If option A is possible take it first.
If B is possible after A then imo do it and just take an advanced learner loan to pay for it assuming you are 19 by the time the course starts,

Let me know how you get on.

Information

i) The contact details are here:

https://www.qualhub.co.uk/contact-us/

ii) The UCAS points are here (second column):
cache.PNG

https://www.qualhub.co.uk/media/7629/ucas-performance-points-tables-nov-2018-v-100.pdf

iii) The bit about resits is here:

P22

https://www.qualhub.co.uk/media/9504/l3-a-tl3-c-d-childcare-and-education-601-3998-5-601-8436-x-601-8437-1-qual-spec-v70.pdf

Section 2: About these qualifications

Version 7.0p22External assessments

The external assessments are theCertificate assessment -CCE1 Diploma assessment –DCE2CCE1 contributes 30% towards the final qualification grade for the Certificate.CCE1and DCE2contribute 30.8% towards the final qualification grade for the Diploma.

Your external assessments will be graded from D to A*.

There is a maximum of three opportunities for learners to attempt each external assessment in order to achieve a pass grade or to improve a grade.

Re-mark requests for external assessments
Centres may request a re-mark if they and the learner do not think that the result is a true reflection of the learner’s performance. This request must be made within 20 working days of the result reaching the Centre. A re-mark result may be decreased as well as increased.

External assessment–Not Yet Achieved: A result that does not achieve a D grade will be graded as a Not Yet Achieved. If the learner intends to submit an extended assessment for another attempt to achieve a D grade or above, they will be required to make a new submission of an alternative assessment provided by us.

Improving your grade for your external assessment (Upgrade your result)
When learners have achieved a D grade or above for their extended assessments, they may want to improve their grade. If learners intend to attempt to improve their grade they will be required to make a new submission of an alternative assessment provided by us. Tutors will be able to advise learners on how you can do this. The higher of the grades achieved for the assessment will be the final result.There is a maximum of three opportunities for learners to submit the external assessment in order to achieve a pass grade or improve a pass grade.
Reply 5
Original post by 999tigger
Have had a look for you and suggest you need to contact cache to see exactly what has gone on and whether it can be remedied, both your explanation and that of your tutors isnt clear enough to tell you exactly where you are.

Things you need to talk through with them:

1. What qualification and grade do you have? Is it a D?

2. In terms of resits then can you:

A) Have a further attempt at resit? I have seen 2 but also 3. If it is 3 then that means you have one further attempt and I would 100% take it if it exists. It appears the assessment is worth a massive 30% of your qualification? Was it a written piece?

B) Can you transfer the credits to another qualification and take it all again? Just like resitting A levels but transfer the good credits so you dont have to redo them.
Whether or not I was going to uni I would prefer the full qualification for employment purposes as you need a good grade not the min imo.

If option A is possible take it first.
If B is possible after A then imo do it and just take an advanced learner loan to pay for it assuming you are 19 by the time the course starts,

Let me know how you get on.

Information

i) The contact details are here:

https://www.qualhub.co.uk/contact-us/

ii) The UCAS points are here (second column):
cache.PNG

https://www.qualhub.co.uk/media/7629/ucas-performance-points-tables-nov-2018-v-100.pdf

iii) The bit about resits is here:

P22

https://www.qualhub.co.uk/media/9504/l3-a-tl3-c-d-childcare-and-education-601-3998-5-601-8436-x-601-8437-1-qual-spec-v70.pdf

Section 2: About these qualifications

Version 7.0p22External assessments

The external assessments are theCertificate assessment -CCE1 Diploma assessment –DCE2CCE1 contributes 30% towards the final qualification grade for the Certificate.CCE1and DCE2contribute 30.8% towards the final qualification grade for the Diploma.

Your external assessments will be graded from D to A*.

There is a maximum of three opportunities for learners to attempt each external assessment in order to achieve a pass grade or to improve a grade.

Re-mark requests for external assessments
Centres may request a re-mark if they and the learner do not think that the result is a true reflection of the learner’s performance. This request must be made within 20 working days of the result reaching the Centre. A re-mark result may be decreased as well as increased.

External assessment–Not Yet Achieved: A result that does not achieve a D grade will be graded as a Not Yet Achieved. If the learner intends to submit an extended assessment for another attempt to achieve a D grade or above, they will be required to make a new submission of an alternative assessment provided by us.

Improving your grade for your external assessment (Upgrade your result)
When learners have achieved a D grade or above for their extended assessments, they may want to improve their grade. If learners intend to attempt to improve their grade they will be required to make a new submission of an alternative assessment provided by us. Tutors will be able to advise learners on how you can do this. The higher of the grades achieved for the assessment will be the final result.There is a maximum of three opportunities for learners to submit the external assessment in order to achieve a pass grade or improve a pass grade.

Wow so much info , thankyou so much .
So of the 2 extended externally marked assignments, one I passed with a grade D and the other I resat twice and got 'not yet achieved' both times. I was told you only had the chance of doing them once and one resit. The rest of the units I've passed no problems at all.
My tutor said IAM now level 3 qualified as an early years educator, which is all I wanted tbh. I never really wanted to go to uni. I'm almost 40 and have a young family so more studying is not really in my plan lol .
Thanks for all the info again , I'm going to have a good read of it , thanks for your time too.
X
Wow so much info , thankyou so much .
So of the 2 extended externally marked assignments, one I passed with a grade D and the other I resat twice and got 'not yet achieved' both times. I was told you only had the chance of doing them once and one resit. The rest of the units I've passed no problems at all.
My tutor said IAM now level 3 qualified as an early years educator, which is all I wanted tbh. I never really wanted to go to uni. I'm almost 40 and have a young family so more studying is not really in my plan lol .
Thanks for all the info again , I'm going to have a good read of it , thanks for your time too.
X

1. You need to check with them whether you get 2 or 3 items to resubmit. I am sure when I was scanning it said 2, but the main document here suggests 3. If it is 3 then take it.
2. The fact it is worth 30% and you have not been awarded it has a massive impact on your grade as it means you are being marked out of 70%,
3. It still isnt clear what grade you got. You can see the grades arent just pass and fail, but D through to A.
4. Whether you want to go to uni now isnt the issue. You could find it makes a big difference as to whether employers look at it as a grade D v someone who has a B or an A. Imo you are being sold short by the tutor. Get the best grade you can. A pass is given a grade. Tutors explanation is inadequate. Like someone telling me I have passed A level. People want to know the grade.
5. People change their minds and go to uni later than 40. Just make sure you get the best grade you have worked for and if you can improve it then do so. You need to verify this with CACHE.
6. Just do the best by yourself and dont let people shortchange you.
Reply 7
Original post by 999tigger
1. You need to check with them whether you get 2 or 3 items to resubmit. I am sure when I was scanning it said 2, but the main document here suggests 3. If it is 3 then take it.
2. The fact it is worth 30% and you have not been awarded it has a massive impact on your grade as it means you are being marked out of 70%,
3. It still isnt clear what grade you got. You can see the grades arent just pass and fail, but D through to A.
4. Whether you want to go to uni now isnt the issue. You could find it makes a big difference as to whether employers look at it as a grade D v someone who has a B or an A. Imo you are being sold short by the tutor. Get the best grade you can. A pass is given a grade. Tutors explanation is inadequate. Like someone telling me I have passed A level. People want to know the grade.
5. People change their minds and go to uni later than 40. Just make sure you get the best grade you have worked for and if you can improve it then do so. You need to verify this with CACHE.
6. Just do the best by yourself and dont let people shortchange you.

I know what you're saying , thankyou ... I'm going to get in touch with them again , initially when she said I've passed and I'm level 3 that's all I wanted to hear , but the more I've sat and had time to think the more it doesn't make sense . I put in a lot of hard work and time , I'm not going to just brush it off .
Thanks for your time 😁😁😁
I know what you're saying , thankyou ... I'm going to get in touch with them again , initially when she said I've passed and I'm level 3 that's all I wanted to hear , but the more I've sat and had time to think the more it doesn't make sense . I put in a lot of hard work and time , I'm not going to just brush it off .
Thanks for your time 😁😁😁

Yep youve worked hard for it, so you should not be fobbed off or have the blow softened , but just understand and be told the truth.

If I was in the position I would wnat to know the actual grade. I suspect it is a D, which is 72 UCAS points, but its not clear how you cna pass whilst failing an assessment. the people at CACHE should be able to tell you straight away.

Being told you have a pass, when the CACHE site says you get a grade is not good enough. IN A level they dont say we want a pass , they want the grade. That is how it works as ive linked you the but which shows what grades to expect.

I would like to tie up loose ends especially about the third submission as the bit I indicated seems to point at 3, which if you passed it would have a big affect on your grade. As it happened at first assessment, then am curious why they didnt address it when you failed and tell you the position to give you the choice to assess whether you wanted to continue. i.e if this was after year 1, then maybe it would have been better to start the qualification fresh so you were marked out of 100% and not 70%.

When you talk to cache hopefully they can answer the queries I have and either open up another option or at least help you understand everything has been done correctly. It isnt about whether you want to go to uni, so it doesnt matter, but more you get the best grade you can either for employment or to reflect the work done.

Do you understand why you failed assessment? Was it a written piece? They may be correct and it is twice, but I would want cache to tell me that and explain why the bit I posted doesnt apply i.e the college did things correctly. If not I would complain and want to resubmit. Nothing to lose.

If you did get to resubmit and pass then that creates options for you.

Let me know if you get suck. Worth looking into.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending