Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
So I’m starting uni in September and I’m going to be going to Greenwich uni and I plan on going by car but the parking is very expensive (£6 for 2 hours). Anyone know if there’s any free parking or any way around this. Please let me know
super_kawaii
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
So I’m starting uni in September and I’m going to be going to Greenwich uni and I plan on going by car but the parking is very expensive (£6 for 2 hours). Anyone know if there’s any free parking or any way around this. Please let me know
Public transport? You really don’t want to be driving in central London, especially with potential congestion charges as well! Would just be way too expensive to drive!
UniofGreenwich
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by super_kawaii)
Public transport? You really don’t want to be driving in central London, especially with potential congestion charges as well! Would just be way too expensive to drive!
Hi @Anonymous,

Congratulations on your place at UoG!

super_kawaii has a good point! Greenwich is a busy area and as the 3rd greenest University in London (and 13th in the UK overall) we encourage the use of public transport wherever possible. The campus is located a short walk from Cutty Sark DLR station, Greenwich and Maze Hill train stations, and has excellent bus links: https://www.gre.ac.uk/about-us/travel/greenwich

The University does have a limited allocation of parking (110 spaces) which is reserved for disabled drivers, staff permit holders, and guests with pre-arranged parking, but if you do decide to drive, there is a public car park just outside the campus in Park Row, and Greenwich Council provides information about this car park and other council car parks in Greenwich.

Hope that helps

Tara
Last edited by UniofGreenwich; 1 month ago
Rob92GRE
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
you could always ask local residents if you could park on their driveway
Anonymous #1
No congestion charges on my route, Greenwich isn’t central London. Just thinking cos I think driving there will work out cheaper than taking public transport as I would have to spend £5-6 everyday to go to uni & return.
super_kawaii
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
No congestion charges on my route, Greenwich isn’t central London. Just thinking cos I think driving there will work out cheaper than taking public transport as I would have to spend £5-6 everyday to go to uni & return.
Parking permits? Petrol? Insurance? Road tax? All factors you have to consider when driving anywhere.

Most likely still works out cheaper getting the train in, especially if you get a railcard attached to your Oyster card.
Anonymous #1
Parking permits? Petrol? Insurance? Road tax? All factors you have to consider when driving anywhere.

Most likely still works out cheaper getting the train in, especially if you get a railcard attached to your Oyster card.
Well I already have insurance and road tax anyway, petrol would be less than £10 a week and I’m trying to find a cheap parking or free spaces. Just need to know if anyone can help, don’t need comparisons to public transport thanks
super_kawaii
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Well I already have insurance and road tax anyway, petrol would be less than £10 a week and I’m trying to find a cheap parking or free spaces. Just need to know if anyone can help, don’t need comparisons to public transport thanks
You did ask for anyways around your issue and I am trying to give you answers.

Using public transport is the norm for students in London. It is expected that people do not drive that centrally in London due to how good the public transport system is in the city and how expensive parking is, as you obviously already know, having stated it is often £6 and hour.

No need to be so arrogant when people are trying to help you with the issues YOU asked for help with
Anonymous #1
You did ask for anyways around your issue and I am trying to give you answers.

Using public transport is the norm for students in London. It is expected that people do not drive that centrally in London due to how good the public transport system is in the city and how expensive parking is, as you obviously already know, having stated it is often £6 and hour.

No need to be so arrogant when people are trying to help you with the issues YOU asked for help with
Well sorry if I came across arrogant but I asked for help with the parking issue
super_kawaii
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Well sorry if I came across arrogant but I asked for help with the parking issue
And UniofGreenwich and myself have both given you the same advice of driving that centrally in London will most likely be prohibitively expensive and that using public transport will most likely be the answer to your parking issue as it will be far cheaper and less stressful than driving in and parking every single day.

We have given you help. You obviously do not want it
Anonymous #2
Report 4 weeks ago
the only way i know is parking somewhere cheaper far away and getting the bus or dlr to campus. like the others said, there isnt rlly any other way around here, either pay the parking fee or commute. you can get a student oyster with uni anyway so youd get a discount on tubes. dont get annoyed just bc no one is telling u what u want to hear
UniofGreenwich
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
We do also offer a Commuter Bursary to support new students who face challenging travel costs.

You can check the eligibility on our website to see if you meet the criteria.

Hope that helps

Tara
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What's your favourite genre?

Rock (117)
24.43%
Pop (110)
22.96%
Jazz (22)
4.59%
Classical (25)
5.22%
Hip-Hop (87)
18.16%