The Student Room Group

Why are so many young Muslims still so religous?

If you look at white, traditionally Christian British people, raised as Christians, they have adopted a secular lifestyle and don't follow the Bible to every single letter (if at all if they completely reject it). Yet it seems people raised in Muslim families still seem to remain religous, yet everywhere else religion is declining? Any incite.

Scroll to see replies

I suppose Muslims are ethnic minorities in britain so their parents are more likely to emphasise their cultural/religious difference so their children are proud of their heritage, also modern-day Islam has a lot more rituals than modern day Christianity so to ‘be’ a Muslim you have to actually be involved in them whereas a lot of Christians barely even go to church. But I’m no expert so don’t quote me on it
Reply 2
Original post by lucyyfranklinn
I suppose Muslims are ethnic minorities in britain so their parents are more likely to emphasise their cultural/religious difference so their children are proud of their heritage, also modern-day Islam has a lot more rituals than modern day Christianity so to ‘be’ a Muslim you have to actually be involved in them whereas a lot of Christians barely even go to church. But I’m no expert so don’t quote me on it

Well muslims aren't an ethnic minority. Anyone of any skin colour can be a Muslim. Jews are an ethnic group (well actually several) but descend from a a single group, but not all Muslims are "Arabs".
Original post by kali8603
Well muslims aren't an ethnic minority. Anyone of any skin colour can be a Muslim. Jews are an ethnic group (well actually several) but descend from a a single group, but not all Muslims are "Arabs".

I was about to correct myself on that actually, I guess what I meant was in Britain, Muslims are generally Asian/African/Middle Eastern and are therefore ethnic minorities, there aren’t many white Muslims. So their religion and culture probably intertwine quite a bit, hence why Muslims ‘remain’ religious compared to Christians
i wouldn't say so, most Muslims are probably not practicing and a lot if not the majority are committing a form of disbelief and the only thing saving them is their ignorance
Not true. i don’t think every muslim follows the quran fully. some still wear tight clothing, no hijab, listen to music and alla dat
Reply 6
Original post by kali8603
If you look at white, traditionally Christian British people, raised as Christians, they have adopted a secular lifestyle and don't follow the Bible to every single letter (if at all if they completely reject it). Yet it seems people raised in Muslim families still seem to remain religous, yet everywhere else religion is declining? Any incite.

i was literally thinking about this today!
the truth is the truth.
Reply 8
religions are an operating system for human beings and human societies. islam is just running quite well atm in the human brain without much threat from other religions like the dying xtianity and the dead judaism. why wouldn't its followers be devout when it's the only religion with substantial power and influence?
Original post by Burge91
religions are an operating system for human beings and human societies. islam is just running quite well atm in the human brain without much threat from other religions like the dying xtianity and the dead judaism. why wouldn't its followers be devout when it's the only religion with substantial power and influence?

Christianity has substantial power and influence though, just look at the way it influences politics
because Muslim parents actually teach their kids.

that's my opinion.

you may be no expert, but IMHO, you hit the nail on the head. Of course, Muslims are not a distinct ethnic minority : but, in the UK, most of them do in fact belong to one ethnic minority or another

there are, of course, also "western" converts, but their number is comparatively small (no one knows their actual number, as well as the duration and intensity of their conversion)

their motivations are interesting : they range from purely "theological" motives (insatisfaction with Christian dogmas such as the Trinity and various Christological and Marian issues) to existential problems (need for a clear sense of purpose and meaning, as well as a strict moral code, in a predominantly "materialistic" society) to fascination with prayers, rituals and recitations (in particular, the Quran) to admiration for the sense of community and brotherhood enjoyed among Muslims (this particular motive risks to cause strong disillusions, with time) to political motives (opposition to "Western" policies, the US, Israel etc)

just my two cents
Not true am not very religious anymore i am beginning to lose my faith and adapt a western life style the only thing i still do is praying even fasting has become very difficult
Reply 13
Christianity has substantial power and influence though, just look at the way it influences politics

politics is about power. Christianity doesn't effect it. talk to the average joe and they will vomit if you mention Jesus. it has no appeal to people or the powerful. however there are christian interpretations like modernity is all a worship of Moloch or something, that's what i believe. i can joke about eating fetuses and people laugh.
You should try letting them ripen a bit longer: https://cdn.cpnscdn.com/static/blog/2015/09/diy-baby-costumes_10-e1442440243390.jpg
Original post by Burge91
politics is about power. Christianity doesn't effect it. talk to the average joe and they will vomit if you mention Jesus. it has no appeal to people or the powerful. however there are christian interpretations like modernity is all a worship of Moloch or something, that's what i believe. i can joke about eating fetuses and people laugh.
Original post by gr8wizard10
the truth is the truth.

100%

Its a testament to Islam's Truth compared to other so-called religions.
Reply 16
Original post by gr8wizard10
the truth is the truth.

Original post by hussamhussam
100%

Its a testament to Islam's Truth compared to other so-called religions.

It's more of a testament to cultural pressure and the power of indoctrination as evidenced by the fact that virtually all religious people find the "truth" in the religion of their parents (including you two by a measure of great certainty).

Christians might equally say "the truth is the truth" over the fact that they are the largest religious group in the world. Their claim would have as much validity as yours (which is none).
I would say many young people are religious Muslims because they have learnt the meaning of their religion whilst they were at a young age. Not all Muslim teens are religious yet they do have that knowledge of their deen and also families tend to talk more about religion and what it means to us. So young people begin to be able to understand religion and therefore act up on it. I mean, I'm a Muslim and I'm not perfect but I know what my religion does and does not allow.
Also, whilst people of other religions may be lenient with their religion, Muslims when they begin to have that connection with their religion, it's not something that they tend to let go. To religious Muslims their religion becomes a very Important part of who they are.
Like in Christianity you have the new Testament and the old Testament whereas in Islam the Quran has not changed.
It's like, Islam has been built on a solid foundation, it has its rules and everything made explicit since day one. And there has been no changes to it ever since.
Original post by Ascend
It's more of a testament to cultural pressure and the power of indoctrination as evidenced by the fact that virtually all religious people find the "truth" in the religion of their parents (including you two by a measure of great certainty).

Christians might equally say "the truth is the truth" over the fact that they are the largest religious group in the world. Their claim would have as much validity as yours (which is none).

I wouldn’t have stated it so aggressively but most of the world’s religions also have scripture encouraging the reader to “search their heart” or pray to god(s) for affirmation of their validity....

That sort of rhetoric was the same used by Homer and Hesiod to validate the religion of the ancient Greeks.

“The History of God” by Karen Armstrong is a good read on the subject.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 19
Original post by Alisha999
I would say many young people are religious Muslims because they have learnt the meaning of their religion whilst they were at a young age. Not all Muslim teens are religious yet they do have that knowledge of their deen and also families tend to talk more about religion and what it means to us. So young people begin to be able to understand religion and therefore act up on it. I mean, I'm a Muslim and I'm not perfect but I know what my religion does and does not allow.
Also, whilst people of other religions may be lenient with their religion, Muslims when they begin to have that connection with their religion, it's not something that they tend to let go. To religious Muslims their religion becomes a very Important part of who they are.
Like in Christianity you have the new Testament and the old Testament whereas in Islam the Quran has not changed.
It's like, Islam has been built on a solid foundation, it has its rules and everything made explicit since day one. And there has been no changes to it ever since.

what solid foundation was islam built on?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending