The Student Room Group

I am sleepy throughout the day

I have noticed that for the last 3 months or so, I am very very tired and sleepy all day, and have no motivation to do anything except being excited to go home and sleep. I don't find it hard to wake up in the mornings, but 3-4 hrs after waking up I am back to being tired.
I have tried to nap and then continue my work, but when i go to nap I can't hear my alarm due to sleeping so deep and wake up after 4 hrs. On daily average I yawn about 10-20 times.
I don't drink coffee or tea or anything like that, I mostly drink water throughout the day. Also, I usually go to sleep at about 11pm and wake up at 7am, but of course when i go home at 5pm sleep about 2 hrs. i am only 17 and I am slightly concerned why this is happening. I am thinking of going to the GP however my busy schedule is not allowing me to, at the moment.
Reply 1
I have a similar problem but mine is down to my poor mental health so going to a GP is a great idea so you can work out a way to deal with it.
Hope you get jt sorted xx
Google narcolepsy and see if your symptoms are similiar to that
Go to your GP, get your bloods checked to monitor iron levels and tell them if you have suspicion of depression.
maybe you should eat more healthily and try and take a pause between your work
also get longer sleep time
For breakfast (8am) I usually eat what I find in the kitchen - Fruit, doughnuts, cereal etc
Lunch (1pm) - sandwich, noodles
Then i usually eat when i go home at (4 -6pm) - whatever mum made and then I don't eat dinner
The last time I heard this kind of symptoms was from my friend Rebbeca, she used to yawn and felt sleepy the entire day. The reason was she had a brain tumor. The good part is it was diagnosed and cured at an early stage and she is doing well now. I would advise take out some time and get it checked.

And keep us posted. Take Care and God bless you.
Original post by bsb2392
I have noticed that for the last 3 months or so, I am very very tired and sleepy all day, and have no motivation to do anything except being excited to go home and sleep. I don't find it hard to wake up in the mornings, but 3-4 hrs after waking up I am back to being tired.
I have tried to nap and then continue my work, but when i go to nap I can't hear my alarm due to sleeping so deep and wake up after 4 hrs. On daily average I yawn about 10-20 times.
I don't drink coffee or tea or anything like that, I mostly drink water throughout the day. Also, I usually go to sleep at about 11pm and wake up at 7am, but of course when i go home at 5pm sleep about 2 hrs. i am only 17 and I am slightly concerned why this is happening. I am thinking of going to the GP however my busy schedule is not allowing me to, at the moment.

Try dialling back your sleep to 10pm/9:30pm and see what happens. See a GP if that doesn't work.
I went to get an appointment but my GP don't have enough staff therefore they are only offering me to go at the open access from 8:30-10. I have to be at my work place at 9:30 and so it doesn't allow me to go. i have taken off the following monday and hopefully ill go to my GP then and see.
My guess is you have the same problem I do in that your diet is crap. I feel the same despite getting plenty of sleep. If you eat better then you should soon see improvements.
Original post by bsb2392

Hey :smile: So tiredness is a sucker of a symptom because there are SO many indirect/ direct causes for it. To me though, this type of tiredness seems a bit too extreme to be caused by something like a poor diet/ stress/ etc... (classed as excessive daytime tiredness). If tiredness seems to be your only obvious symptom you may have chronic fatigue which is common amongst teenagers but usually goes away with puberty. Or there is a chance you could have Narcolepsy, although it is rarer. HOWEVER, that doesn't mean you should rule it out. I have Narcolepsy- it was not easy to diagnose because for such a long time I thought the tiredness was because of puberty. Average time to diagnose is 10 years, unfortunately. You should join the Narcoepsy support facebook group. You can always google the symptoms, but if you do here are some pointers: 1. Narcolepsy is a spectrum- and is hugely misrepresented in the media 2.Type 1 Narcolepsy = with cataplexy, type 2= without. 3. cataplexy is also difficult to diagnose because it is difficult to understand what the feeling is. Just wondering- were you born prematurely, or had the flu recently? did you get a swine flu vaccination?
I finally got to go to the doctor!
He said he doesn't think there is something wrong with me but he told me to do blood test and I did, and a letter came back saying to do and give blood for another blood test in 1 months time.
So still don't know why I am experiencing sleepiness.

Quick Reply

Latest