The Student Room Group

Joint honors, or, Bachelors with honors and two subjects

I am very confused about something here. My interest was sparked due to this idea of Majors or Minors, which I think may usually be used for degrees more commonly in the US. Perhaps not.

Anyway, my confusion here is about the different between a joint honors or getting a BSc (hons) in **** and ****.

Is a BSc qualification as I mentioned there, is it actually basically two full degrees. Is it in other words basically two majors? Whereas a joint is a major in one subject and a minor in the other.

I would assume perhaps if that is the case then the BSc (honors) with two subjects is worth more than a joint honors?

It's so confusing.

An example is that with the Open University, you can do BSc (Honours) Computing & IT and a second subject. Is this actually basically two degrees or not?
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Opuspocus
I am very confused about something here. My interest was sparked due to this idea of Majors or Minors, which I think may usually be used for degrees more commonly in the US. Perhaps not.

Anyway, my confusion here is about the different between a joint honors or getting a BSc (hons) in **** and ****.

Is a BSc qualification as I mentioned there, is it actually basically two full degrees. Is it in other words basically two majors? Whereas a joint is a major in one subject and a minor in the other.

I would assume perhaps if that is the case then the BSc (honors) with two subjects is worth more than a joint honors?

It's so confusing.

An example is that with the Open University, you can do BSc (Honours) Computing & IT and a second subject. Is this actually basically two degrees or not?

its not two degrees, you have one full degree thats x% in one subject and x% in another.
Reply 2
Original post by claireestelle
its not two degrees, you have one full degree thats x% in one subject and x% in another.

This particular OU BSc (Hons) degree says it's a "joint honours". Includes two 10000 word dissertations. So this is actually 50/50, double honours? Not 70/30 like some courses which I assume is a single honors and then some education in a second subject? I believe the points are split evenly 50/50.

So yeah just to reiterate, is it not a double degree, it's one degree, but it is a double honors?
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Opuspocus
This particular OU BSc (Hons) degree says it's a "joint honours". Includes two 10000 word dissertations. So this is actually 50/50, double honours? Not 70/30 like some courses which I assume is a single honors and then some education in a second subject? I believe the points are split evenly 50/50.

So yeah just to reiterate, is it not a double degree, it's one degree, but it is a double honors?

it's one degree yes, seems like 50/50, not sure what you mean by double honours

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending