The Student Room Group

No/bad GCSEs for top Law unis (Cambridge, KCL, Durham, Manch, Exeter) for Magic Circl

I'm an international student from Italy, as I wasn't in the UK before Y12 I didn't have any GCSEs, although my head of the sixth form forced me to do English Lang and Maths Standard) last November with no prep offered by the school (I got 6 in English and 5 in Maths), my grades in Italy weren't bad but not excellent (between As and Bs in UK equivalent). I got predicted 4A* at A-Level, very strong recommendations (and an explanation by the school for the poor performance at GCSEs) and a good LNAT score (I got 26/42 in an official practice test before starting preparation) as well as well what I think is a very good PS. I have already eliminated Oxford, Nottingham, LSE, Bristol and UCL as they put too much emphasis on GCEs (I opted for Cambridge, Durham, KCL, Manch and Exeter). My aspiration would be to enter a Magic Circle firm after uni: would my situation penalise myself in the admission process of this unis and are these choice good enough? Than you very much :smile:
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by enricop
Thank you very much, yeah if it will be really necessary I'll take all the other GCSE qualifications when I'm at uni then just in case.

Ditto bad idea, if you've got great A levels and have got into a top uni - forget about GCSEs
right, thank you, I'll then focus only on trying to get a high LNAT score and make sure to have a good cover letter for the bad GCSEs from the school
Original post by enricop
right, thank you, I'll then focus only on trying to get a high LNAT score and make sure to have a good cover letter for the bad GCSEs from the school

The school normally talk about that sort of thing in your reference :smile:

Also, are you going to any Open Days? That's often a good opportunity to talk your personal situation over with staff involved in Admissions
(edited 4 years ago)
Thank you very much for the suggestion :smile:, just booked KCL, UCL and Durham open days
Perhaps consider the University of Bristol

1) it will give you very good job prospects and connections with big firms:
https://www.chambersstudent.co.uk/where-to-start/newsletter/law-firms-preferred-universities

2) Bristol only puts 20% weighting upon GCSES:
http://www.bristol.ac.uk/study/media/undergraduate/admissions-statements/2020/law.pdf
Thanks for the reply, to be honest although I know that they have very strong credentials among employers I don't think I will apply there given exactly that 20% weighting of my bad GCSEs, as I fell I would be put at disadvantage, nevertheless, considering as you say their job prospects/connections I might put it in my choices instead of Manchester as I think I would fit more into the student life at Bristol :smile:
Original post by enricop
Thanks for the reply, to be honest although I know that they have very strong credentials among employers I don't think I will apply there given exactly that 20% weighting of my bad GCSEs, as I fell I would be put at disadvantage, nevertheless, considering as you say their job prospects/connections I might put it in my choices instead of Manchester as I think I would fit more into the student life at Bristol :smile:

Np
You also may want to look at the law offer rate for each university (on the University Which website) in order to apply strategically.
For example, Bristol is harder to get into than Manchester, so you may want to keep Manch as a safer choice
Do keep in mind that these offer rates are sometimes misleading..for example Durham shows a fairly high offer rate for English, but as it is the no1 uni for English, most applicants have very high credentials (so the applicant standard is generally higher)

Idk if I explained that well but I hope I helped!
Original post by rose.obrien
Np
You also may want to look at the law offer rate for each university (on the University Which website) in order to apply strategically.
For example, Bristol is harder to get into than Manchester, so you may want to keep Manch as a safer choice
Do keep in mind that these offer rates are sometimes misleading..for example Durham shows a fairly high offer rate for English, but as it is the no1 uni for English, most applicants have very high credentials (so the applicant standard is generally higher)

Idk if I explained that well but I hope I helped!

Yeah I phone Durham and they say that they have a 13% acceptance rate but tutors don't look at GCSEs, so I think I will definitely apply there and to Bristol and keep a safe choice at Manchester. :smile:

Thank you very much, very well explained :smile:
Acceptance rate and offer rate are different.
Thank you very much this makes me way more positive :biggrin:, I forgot to check on which uni

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending