The Student Room Group

Too scared to open my exam results on a level results day?

Scroll to see replies

we are all on the same boat!
I'm in the same boat as you - also waiting for A-Level results (and slightly nervous about it)! In terms of Results Day, how about collecting and opening your results surrounded by people who love you no matter what (ie, really supportive and loving friends and family)? It's not something you have to do alone. On that note, if opening that envelope is something that does cause you a lot of stress, don't feel rushed to open it. Take a few deep breaths and try to calm yourself; accept the fact that you feel nervous and try to make peace with that. Do everything on your terms, when you're ready. It's your day, after all, so you should be in charge of it! Finally, try not to compare your results (whatever they are) with those gained by other people. It really serves no purpose and chances are, it'll just add to the anxiety.

Original post by alicesmith1628
I am ridiculously stressed for a level results day which is in 16 days. I feel as though if I get lower grades than I want I’ll be so worthless. The only thing I’ve ever been good at is studying and exams. I’m awful at everything else- I’m ugly, I’m weird, not very sociable due to anxiety, I’m honestly overall just a mess. Grades are THE only thing I have going for me but I know for a fact the stress and pressure got too much to handle and I won’t of done as well as I hoped, plus I’ve had countless dreams that I’ve failed.

Being good at studying and exams, whilst it can be helpful, is definitely not the most important thing in the world. I don't know you but I bet you're a lovely person! For starters, posting here on TSR about your feelings shows that you're brave, braver than you think. There's that old saying about being your own harshest critic and it really is true. Treating yourself with kindness and compassion - as if you're your own best friend - is a good place to start. I've also dealt with anxiety before and even being mindful that you deserve self-love is a stepping stone. Even writing your post about how you're feeling can be a good release. It's always good to talk about feelings and whilst it can be very hard at first, it's definitely worthwhile.

Also, who said being weird was a bad thing?
Reply 22
Yep can relate. I've been thinking of waiting until I actually get my results instead of checking track in the morning but I don't think my heart or stomach can take it. A lot of my worries are coming from people around me saying "You're gonna get 3A* anyway", so now I feel more pressured...
I am ridiculously stressed for a level results day which is in 16 days. I feel as though if I get lower grades than I want I’ll be so worthless. The only thing I’ve ever been good at is studying and exams. I’m awful at everything else- I’m ugly, I’m weird, not very sociable due to anxiety, I’m honestly overall just a mess. Grades are THE only thing I have going for me but I know for a fact the stress and pressure got too much to handle and I won’t of done as well as I hoped, plus I’ve had countless dreams that I’ve failed. I’m terrified to actually open the results, can’t imagine me being able to do it. How do I calm my nerves and get out of the mindset that they’re the be all and end all because right now I am terrified for my mental health come results day, I don’t know what I’ll do if I’m disappointed?! I need help.

See youve already had plenty of answers so will be brief.

1. Its normal.
2. Get someone else to open them or never open them.
3. You can check on track to see if youve been accepted.
4. A levels imo are incredibly stressful and I would bet money you have done well.
5. You can phone in to get them.
6. Start planning for what you do in case things dont turn out as you hoped. The world doesnt end and you can come back. Resits would be in less than 10 months If you have prepared your mind its less worrying..
7. Start working on a plan B to put into place if results are not good.
8. Go in early and get out.
9. Prepare your parents now so they dont hassle you when they come out.
10. Go dark on social media unless you have very good friends and want to share.
11. Talk to your fog, cat or pet.
12. See the GP and start getting help with anxiety plus your self esteem.
I know right, I need BBC as the bear minimum to keep going forward otherwise I will feel so dumb and worthless because I seriously put in a lot of work in my revision. All I can do is just pray that the examiners have mercy on me
I am ridiculously stressed for a level results day which is in 16 days. I feel as though if I get lower grades than I want I’ll be so worthless. The only thing I’ve ever been good at is studying and exams. I’m awful at everything else- I’m ugly, I’m weird, not very sociable due to anxiety, I’m honestly overall just a mess. Grades are THE only thing I have going for me but I know for a fact the stress and pressure got too much to handle and I won’t of done as well as I hoped, plus I’ve had countless dreams that I’ve failed. I’m terrified to actually open the results, can’t imagine me being able to do it. How do I calm my nerves and get out of the mindset that they’re the be all and end all because right now I am terrified for my mental health come results day, I don’t know what I’ll do if I’m disappointed?! I need help.

My friend hasn't either!

He's thinking of giving them to me so that I can open them - I'm sure he'll do fine - but I know he has loads of anxiety over results and the likes of it.

Oh boy, when we're older and look back it'll seem kinda silly that we had so much anxiety over these things. A levels deffo don't determine your future...
I don't know if anyone can relate to me but I don't really feel any stress on opening my results mainly because of the fact that I revised non stop day and night all of year 13. I took every single class test seriously, I took mocks really seriously (which I got A*, B, C on) and all of this hard work I put in doesn't make me stressed about it at all. Of course, I had breaks but I just don't feel stressed about opening my results because of the effort. If you didn't revise for your exams (as in only revising the night before the exam) then you should be stressed but if you put in a lot of work for them then you shouldn't be.

Also, stop surrounding yourself with trashy people who keep posting idiotic/unfunny memes about how they're going to fail or people that just keep being pessimistic about their exams. This is known as the Availability Heuristic where the common thought of something appears as if it will happen when it won't or is extremely unlikely to occur.

However, to those doing Edexcel maths, I really don't know what to say. Your exam board is an utter disgrace to the whole country as it also put us people who don't do maths at a disadvantage as well. I'm sure you won't fail because grade boundaries should be really low. What they did is an incredibly illogical move
Curious to know how it puts non maths students at a disadvantage
Original post by kkllookkkk
Curious to know how it puts non maths students at a disadvantage

The reason why it puts us at a disadvantage is because those who got the leaked papers knew the questions and answers to paper 3 had they paid the money to see the whole thing. Edexcel claims its going to remove "compromised questions" yet the whole paper was leaked so those who managed to get the copy online knew all the answers which will give them a grade that will end up being far out of the standard deviation's mean test scores for the country since grade boundaries will be really low due to paper 1 and 2 being too difficult (from what my friends doing maths told me). So if you're taking, for example, psychology (like I did) then we sat our test fairly but what isn't fair is that some people taking EDexcel A-level maths got paper 3 as it leaked. If I get a B in psychology on results day and that guy who got the leaked paper gets an A or A*, the effect is apparent.

This will go on to affect university placements and applications. Since some of us have a conditional offer, I may be rejected from my first choice because I got AAB when I needed to get AAA whereas that individual taking maths got AAA by way of cheating, then the effect is still apparent.
Trust me, you'll look back on the day and realise how much you over-hyped it.

I've lost my A-level results and certificates tbh.
omg i felt like i wrote this lol i kinda feel what u feel about only having grades to fall back on

but anyways, a lot of people have family etc who put sooo much pressure on them. my family is so chill and think of Bs as A*s lol lucky me i guess. u poor souls, stressing about results day this much!! i wanna see what i got, i feel like i'd be majorly disappointed though.

busy urself and dont be hard on urself xx
(edited 4 years ago)
Checking track first might be easier - you're not around all of your friends, others at your school, teachers etc. You can just check it on your own, or with your parents or whoever, without the added pressure of being around everyone else.

It also means that your actual grades will have less of a significance, which may help you prepare for when you get to your school / college and open them.

But just remember - if you do not achieve the grades that you are aiming for, you are not worthless, and no one will be disappointed in you. They do not define who you are.

If you're worried about uni, then there are many choices if you don't get into your firm / insurance choices - for example clearing, or taking a gap year and re-applying. Not getting in to your firm doesn't mean that you have failed or that your are worthless.

You are not worthless and your grades do not define who you are, however much you feel like they do right now. If you are disappointed on results day, you must remember that this isn't the be all end all. You have many other options.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by DR.DOOM
I don't know if anyone can relate to me but I don't really feel any stress on opening my results mainly because of the fact that I revised non stop day and night all of year 13. I took every single class test seriously, I took mocks really seriously (which I got A*, B, C on) and all of this hard work I put in doesn't make me stressed about it at all. Of course, I had breaks but I just don't feel stressed about opening my results because of the effort. If you didn't revise for your exams (as in only revising the night before the exam) then you should be stressed but if you put in a lot of work for them then you shouldn't be.

Also, stop surrounding yourself with trashy people who keep posting idiotic/unfunny memes about how they're going to fail or people that just keep being pessimistic about their exams. This is known as the Availability Heuristic where the common thought of something appears as if it will happen when it won't or is extremely unlikely to occur.

However, to those doing Edexcel maths, I really don't know what to say. Your exam board is an utter disgrace to the whole country as it also put us people who don't do maths at a disadvantage as well. I'm sure you won't fail because grade boundaries should be really low. What they did is an incredibly illogical move

Didn't know this had a name and if I understand you correctly I kind of relate. I feel like the more pessimistic I am sometimes the less likely something bad will happen. (sort of "it can't possibly be that bad") Idk.
Reply 33
Sorry to hear you're stressed out. A few thoughts from me (someone who knows how sh*t anxiety is and who is also worried about results day, but just trying to get through :smile: ):

"I feel as though if I get lower grades than I want I’ll be so worthless"
Even if you really screw up (let's say you get 3 D's, although I'm sure you won't) you are not worthless. Please don't base your self-worth on your grades; remember, this is just one set of exams and you are more than that. These grades don't determine the rest of your life, so don't let them. Plenty of people have really messed up at A Level only to enjoy great success later on. I hope you don't face failure come results day, but if you do, use it as an opportunity to learn and grow (e.g. say you have to retake, use the extra year to investigate different uni courses/careers/do work experience/travel/as time to learn about how to manage your mental health etc.)

"I’m awful at everything else- I’m ugly, I’m weird, not very sociable due to anxiety, I’m honestly overall just a mess. Grades are THE only thing I have going for me"
Grades are not the only thing you have going for you - no way. By the sounds of it, you are hardworking, conscientious and probably super empathetic too - these are all awesome characteristics that you will have no matter what happens on results day. I'm sure you that are neither ugly nor weird, and that you have many talents and personality traits going for you.

"I’ve had countless dreams that I’ve failed."
So have I. I also had these dreams before my GCSEs, to the point where I woke up crying over it - spoiler, I didn't do badly after all. These dreams don't mean or signify anything.

"I’m terrified to actually open the results, can’t imagine me being able to do it."
On results day, you'll find the courage. Because however terrible you might think you have done, you can't deal with it unless you know what you've got. Confronting your grades, no matter what they might be, is the first step. You can't sit in the unknown forever and come results day I don't think you'll want to.

"I don’t know what I’ll do if I’m disappointed?"
Make a worst-case scenario plan. Let's say you get those 3 D's; what are your options? Do a spider diagram or a mindmap or something. One option is clearing. One option is to retake. Another is to try to find a route into your chosen career that doesn't involve uni e.g. an apprenticeship or something. I know you don't want to do any of those, but the point is that if you have to, you can.

Lastly, it's normal to be freaked out about results day, lots of people are. But leave results day to the actual day. Nothing you can do now is going to affect your grades. I know it's hard to forget such a big important day when it's looming over you, but try your hardest to distract yourself over the coming days. Some of my techniques: have a movie marathon with friends or family, go walk the dog/walk to the shops, go for a run/to the gym, put your favourite music on, talk to a friend who distracts you, paint/draw/write if you're creative etc.

Feel free to DM me for more advice. I know how you feel but I am finding ways to manage my feelings so hopefully I can help you too :smile:
I received mine over a phone call, despite the fact that I was still sh*tting myself on the day, it kinda helped :redface:

I'm unbelievably worried for results day too!! So, because I know I'm gonna do terribly maths, I have decided to accept it and even created a music playlist filled with happy songs to listen to on my way to collecting results so hopefully my results won't bring me down
I think maybe you can do the same or do something which makes you feel happy before opening your results
Honestly every time I think about Edexcel Maths and not getting into my firm my heart POUNDS in my chest and I legit feel like I cannot breathe.

If I don’t get into my firm which I won’t because of those exams, I’ll honestly be heartbroken. I worked hard for my offer, had to do the freaking LNAT and stuff for no reason now.
Original post by Kristen1283
Honestly every time I think about Edexcel Maths and not getting into my firm my heart POUNDS in my chest and I legit feel like I cannot breathe.

If I don’t get into my firm which I won’t because of those exams, I’ll honestly be heartbroken. I worked hard for my offer, had to do the freaking LNAT and stuff for no reason now.

Awwww.. I understand as well
I'm not worried about getting into uni because I have an unconditional but for those who dont, you shouldn't worry too much because everyone who took that exam is in the exact same boat as you!!
Also, I have to be honest but I don't think the uni you go to is important, I think it is what you do there that will be meaningful in your life
Good luck for your results though!!
Original post by Storm B-R
Awwww.. I understand as well
I'm not worried about getting into uni because I have an unconditional but for those who dont, you shouldn't worry too much because everyone who took that exam is in the exact same boat as you!!
Also, I have to be honest but I don't think the uni you go to is important, I think it is what you do there that will be meaningful in your life
Good luck for your results though!!

True, but easier said that it is. My firm is my ultimate dream university, and I legit cried when I got the email during maths (and my teacher laughed at me:colondollar:)
Dont worry so much!! Try not to think that if you don't go to the university that you want that your life is over or that you're not gonna do well in the future because it won't affect you as much as you think
I have the same experience, I'm not going to my dream university either but I decided if I hold onto that negativity of it not being my dream university then I wouldn't be able to fully embrace it, so I decided to accept it and make myself feel excited about it!!

Quick Reply

Latest