The Student Room Group

Do you recommend...

Hello,

Would you recommend living in a University campus which is really, really, really far away from your home (like the furthest you can choose) or do you recommend still keeping close enough?

Which Universities do you recommend? Honest answers please...

Many thanks, Sonny
Reply 1
Original post by sonnybeavis
Hello,

Would you recommend living in a University campus which is really, really, really far away from your home (like the furthest you can choose) or do you recommend still keeping close enough?

Many thanks, Sonny

Well before I can help, I need some more information, mainly
Course?
Predicted Grades?
Do you get homesick often?
Do you think you could function independently?
Are you completely set on campus universities or do you like other types of universities?
Hello,

Many thanks, Sonny

Are you considering university in Australia?
Reply 3
I never really get homesick, I am very good at functioning on my own and without the help. My predicted grades are around 5 and 6 and I will hopefully have a Spanish, Business and Psychology degree in A level
Reply 4
Original post by PQ
Are you considering university in Australia?

i’ve never thought about University in Australia as I am completely unaware of how to study abroad. However I do have vast close family living out there right now
I never really get homesick, I am very good at functioning on my own and without the help. My predicted grades are around 5 and 6 and I will hopefully have a Spanish, Business and Psychology degree in A level

Are you waiting for your GCSE results?

Go to some open days for universities close to you over the summer/autumn.

What’s a 5 and 6? As in GCSE?
You don’t need to be thinking about universities now. Focus on a levels first. Come back and ask the same question when you’re near the end of year 12 and can start going to open days.
Reply 7
I am only going into year 11 now but i want to get a rough plan sorted as right now I don’t really know what to do. I am actually on a residential taster where we can live in the flats, attend lectures and projects. It’s four days and it’s the 3rd day today. This is at University of Kent in Canterbury UK and I don’t live far from here, only in Margate
Hello,

Many thanks, Sonny

Moved to University Life :smile:
Hello,

Many thanks, Sonny

Hi Sonny,
Choosing where to go to uni can be quite difficult and also quite a personal decision, but I'll share my experience in case it helps you at all :smile:
I originally went to a university 3 and a half hours away from where I lived, and sadly (for lots of reasons) really did not enjoy my time there at all and often wanted to go home or have friends/family come and see me. Because the university was quite isolated and so far from the people I knew, I found the distance quite challenging.
After my first year I ended up switching universities to one only an hour and a bit away from where my family lived and generally found it much easier. I think for me, knowing that I could get home/my family and friends could get to me more easily was reassuring after struggling in my first year. Also being able to get to and from home in a day made life easier when moving in and out and for any events or unexpected trips. You may have quite a different experience at university but that's what mine was like :smile: I think the best advice I can give from my experience is to go to a university that has good transport connections as it can make life much easier when you do need to get home. I currently go to Kent and there's a high speed train straight to London which makes getting home really easy for me :smile:
I hope that helps a little bit! I can't really speak for other universities as I don't have any experience with them, but if you have any questions about the University of Kent I'm more than happy to answer them!
Good luck :biggrin:
Hello,

Thank you for your response and your personal story. I am thinking of going to the University of Kent and i went to their Summer School and really enjoyed it, i just don’t know whether to go their or somewhere further away
Escape at all costs

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending