The Student Room Group

How much is Foundation Year at KCL?

Apparently SFE doesn't finance Foundation Year at KCL ( at least in my case).

What are my other options in financing my Foundation Year? How much does it cost?

I'm really devastated today :frown:
Original post by a0f83w
Apparently SFE doesn't finance Foundation Year at KCL ( at least in my case).

What are my other options in financing my Foundation Year? How much does it cost?

I'm really devastated today :frown:

https://www.kcl.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/fees-and-funding/tuition-fees

I seem to recall your thread last night. It was a bit complicated.

If I were in your position I would be sorting out my asylum status frst and getting either refugee status or ilr to be classified as a home student.
I wouldnt be spending my savings on a degree course or foundation. You seem determined to, but 100% not what I would do.
Reply 2
Original post by 999tigger
https://www.kcl.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/fees-and-funding/tuition-fees

I seem to recall your thread last night. It was a bit complicated.

If I were in your position I would be sorting out my asylum status frst and getting either refugee status or ilr to be classified as a home student.
I wouldnt be spending my savings on a degree course or foundation. You seem determined to, but 100% not what I would do.

I am not an asylum seeker. I am an eu migrant worker. But i do agree with you on not spending one's savings on degree/foundation when you can wait to be classified as home student. in my case, i still need 2 years to be classified as home student.
Original post by a0f83w
I am not an asylum seeker. I am an eu migrant worker. But i do agree with you on not spending one's savings on degree/foundation when you can wait to be classified as home student. in my case, i still need 2 years to be classified as home student.

Sorry mixed you up with someone else I was responding to.

You havent done well enough in Ielts?
When SFE spoke to you and they said they dont do foundation year, can you link the kings Nursing with foundation year course because I couldnt see it?
Why are you talking about foundation? Have kings offered it as an alternative?
Have Kings said they will take you with lower ielts?
I thought you just wanted migrant worker status?
If you have a chance to get home student status despite Brexit then I would have that.
Reply 4
Sorry mixed you up with someone else I was responding to.

You havent done well enough in Ielts?
When SFE spoke to you and they said they dont do foundation year, can you link the kings Nursing with foundation year course because I couldnt see it?
Why are you talking about foundation? Have kings offered it as an alternative?
Have Kings said they will take you with lower ielts?
I thought you just wanted migrant worker status?
If you have a chance to get home student status despite Brexit then I would have that.

No, I'm still waiting for my Ielts resit results. But I have a gut feeling that i didn't do well.
I don't really know if there's a foundation year for nursing at KCL.
I don't really know what will happen to my conditional offer if i dont meet the ielts. Will they just reject me or let me wait till after the Most-awaited Results day this mid august and see if there will be slots left for those near-misses like myself. otherwise, i will have to wait another 2 years to reapply (this time as home student) i am devastated because i am a mature student, 2 years from now i will be in my 40's :frown:
(edited 4 years ago)
1. The foundation thing makes no sense. Maybe the reason sfe said they dont fund it is because it doesnt exist or I couldnt see it?
2. A whole year of uni costs v resit ielts is no contest.
3. I told you last time you need to speak to kings, but probably when you get results.
4. Maybe kings will let you through or defer.
5. I can see them waiting till after.
6. If they defer till next year, then you could apply as working migrant again.
7. You just have to be patient. The important thing is you are in the UK so you will be treated on the more favourable side for immigration purposes.
Reply 6
1. The foundation thing makes no sense. Maybe the reason sfe said they dont fund it is because it doesnt exist or I couldnt see it?
2. A whole year of uni costs v resit ielts is no contest.
3. I told you last time you need to speak to kings, but probably when you get results.
4. Maybe kings will let you through or defer.
5. I can see them waiting till after.
6. If they defer till next year, then you could apply as working migrant again.
7. You just have to be patient. The important thing is you are in the UK so you will be treated on the more favourable side for immigration purposes.

You're right it's best to just wait for the results (which is in 2 days for me) and see what they have to say. But I am scared. My future depends on this piece of paper :smile: Thank you for the tips tiger👍
You need to check with SFE that you could transition from Migrant worker to 5 year home student mid course. It is important to know as some situations do not let you change status once you start the course. You also need to check your qualifications dont become out of date.
The ideal is to wait for the 5 years status and home student so you dont have to work, it may not even be possible.
Reply 8
You need to check with SFE that you could transition from Migrant worker to 5 year home student mid course. It is important to know as some situations do not let you change status once you start the course. You also need to check your qualifications dont become out of date.
The ideal is to wait for the 5 years status and home student so you dont have to work, it may not even be possible.

Ok, will look into this asap! Thank you so much👍
Brexit makes it tricky, but in your favour you are here and have been so for three years.
If SFE have confirmed they will fund you now that is one hurdle and then you need to check what will happen if you apply 2020 or 2021.
The 5 year one seems by far the most attractive option if you check it works for sfe.
Reply 10
I prefer to be able to study now even if I will be required to work as long as it's not 24 hours per week. 10-16 is doable for me (roughly two days a week). But if my loan will not be approved, then yeah i will need to wait till i qualify as a home student. But I will be in my 40's already. I am really hoping they'll approve my loan now while i'm still two years younger🤞
(edited 4 years ago)
remember that Nursing is a PAID with a grant + expenses 3-yr Bachelor in most of Scotland, with expenses paid even for the non-uni parts of the year.

if you're going to all the bother of getting UK residency, I'd pop-up to Stirling or QMU or Ed'Napier or UWS Paisley and get paid to study, I did meet mature nurses at Stirling & UWS, Napier was a bit too businesslike,

SQA & SFA (prob SAAS) are the qualifications and funding agencies up there, I think. I think 3 years in UK might qualify for the grants, but not certain as I'm EU and didn't even ask.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 12
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 13
Original post by LuigiMario
remember that Nursing is a PAID with a grant + expenses 3-yr Bachelor in most of Scotland, with expenses paid even for the non-uni parts of the year.

if you're going to all the bother of getting UK residency, I'd pop-up to Stirling or QMU or Ed'Napier or UWS Paisley and get paid to study, I did meet mature nurses at Stirling & UWS, Napier was a bit too businesslike,

SQA & SFA are the qualifications and funding agencies up there, I think. I think 3 years in UK might qualify for the grants, but not certain as I'm EU and didn't even ask.

You mean there is no residency requirement for Eu student in Scotland? Can i just move there and study nursing for free and get paid to study?
Original post by a0f83w
You mean there is no residency requirement for Eu student in Scotland? Can i just move there and study nursing for free and get paid to study?

Sorry , it’s a bit more subtle!

i had to fill in a detailed 8 page questionnaire to determine my status, not just wanting to know where you live now (and why) but where did you live for the last few years, and why.

I think, but check, that as EU resident, Scotland is offering for 2019 entry reciprocal fees to home students and EU, that’s officially ~£1800 ( which is then waived, or refunded by SAAS ) rest of UK still pay £9250\ yr fees in Scotland, again reciprocal. 2021 entry might be “free” fees for EU, not yet sure. Bojo might know?

However, if you apply to study nursing as a Scottish home student, then it is no fee and plus grants and expenses - that didn’t apply in my case , so I never read further, so I’m not sure if full UK residence & nursing study in Scotland is enough for qualifying for the benefits, I’d assume at least a moral requirement to practice in Scotland after training, don’t remember there being a legal requirement.
Reply 15
Original post by LuigiMario
Sorry , it’s a bit more subtle!

i had to fill in a detailed 8 page questionnaire to determine my status, not just wanting to know where you live now (and why) but where did you live for the last few years, and why.

I think, but check, that as EU resident, Scotland is offering for 2019 entry reciprocal fees to home students and EU, that’s officially ~£1800 ( which is then waived, or refunded by SAAS ) rest of UK still pay £9250\ yr fees in Scotland, again reciprocal. 2021 entry might be “free” fees for EU, not yet sure. Bojo might know?

However, if you apply to study nursing as a Scottish home student, then it is no fee and plus grants and expenses - that didn’t apply in my case , so I never read further, so I’m not sure if full UK residence & nursing study in Scotland is enough for qualifying for the benefits, I’d assume at least a moral requirement to practice in Scotland after training, don’t remember there being a legal requirement.

Can you also apply for maintenance loan in scotland? Is there residency requirement to qualify for maintenance loan?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending