Hooop
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi there, After searching I couldn't find an answer to my question so I thought I'd post it...I graduated last year (2018) and got a very low 2:1 in psychology from Sheffield University and have spent this past year working as a special needs TA and volunteering with disabled children, but I'm just interested if I'm reaching way above my league by applying for a salaried primary PGCE through UCL as I know it's a very good university? And due to my low uni grade? Thanks for your responses in advance!
airfixfighter
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Generally, it doesn't matter which uni your PGCE is from - you're better off choosing a university in an area you want to work. Obviously, you might want to work in London in which case fine!

It sounds like you have school experience - is your special needs experience in Primary? I think at Primary level the experience is the most important thing
nintysixthousand
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
i think they only require a 2:1 therefore you meet the requirement! obviously they look at more than just your grades when your applying, and something they will probably focus on is your experience in the class room, which you clearly have a lot of, showing your passion and commitment to teaching, and your applying to primary so academic grades wont matter as much as secondary!
Hooop
Rep:
?
(Original post by airfixfighter)
Generally, it doesn't matter which uni your PGCE is from - you're better off choosing a university in an area you want to work. Obviously, you might want to work in London in which case fine!

It sounds like you have school experience - is your special needs experience in Primary? I think at Primary level the experience is the most important thing
Hi! Yes I was working in primary schools this year because I thought it could be applicable! ☺️ And yeah I do really want to be in London as that's where most of my friends are based and would be nice to see them more! Thankyou for your reply I just didn't know if I was being ridiculously optimistic with my choice and therefore change my option.
Hooop
Rep:
?
(Original post by nintysixthousand)
i think they only require a 2:1 therefore you meet the requirement! obviously they look at more than just your grades when your applying, and something they will probably focus on is your experience in the class room, which you clearly have a lot of, showing your passion and commitment to teaching, and your applying to primary so academic grades wont matter as much as secondary!
Hiya! Thankyou for your response! jI 'mjust thought I would ask incase I had been ridiculously optimistic! 😀 I really hope they won't ask for academic transcripts or anything! And fingers crossed they will look at my experience and volunteering more than the actual grades!
tomlam
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I don't think you're being optimistic. A 2.1 is still a 2.1!

Now when you get to the interview, they're after someone that's not just got academic gifts, but is also social and well-rounded. I've spoken to numerous admissions people in education and they tell me they want to see the person more, and to be able to see there is potential to grow into the role. They don't want a robot who can remember information for exams.
Claudette
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Hooop)
Hiya! Thankyou for your response! jI 'mjust thought I would ask incase I had been ridiculously optimistic! 😀 I really hope they won't ask for academic transcripts or anything! And fingers crossed they will look at my experience and volunteering more than the actual grades!
You’ll need to put the course break down credits in ucas but I don’t think anyone will be questioning you.
harrysbar
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I think it is reasonable for you to apply and you will be a good candidate but it's always good to have a back up. I believe that you initially get 3 choice on the PGCE form, so are you also going to apply anywhere else?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What's your favourite genre?

Rock (203)
23.52%
Pop (214)
24.8%
Jazz (33)
3.82%
Classical (48)
5.56%
Hip-Hop (166)
19.24%