The Student Room Group

French gcse

Does anyone know any useful websites for french GCSE? I'm doing it next year and want to get a head start at it? Thanks!
vocabexpress.com

I'm not sure if your school has to create an account for you, but that's what our school did. It really has a lot of vocab on hand and it relatively user friendly.
I did german but a lot of what we used would work for French too
- quizlet is a lifesaver for vocab, you can make your own sets but there’s usually lots made by other people you can use
- Duolingo is free and helps keep your skills up
- we did eduqas exams which has a website with loads of resources for the exams

Other than that I’d recommend trying to immerse yourself in the language- watching movies/netflix etc in French with subtitles or listening to French podcasts and music is really helpful for your listening skills. There’s a duolingo French podcast now, YouTube will have lots of videos I’m sure, and I found listening to the news in your target language is helpful too. I’ve just done my GCSEs but am doing german A level so feel free to pm me if you’ve got any questions or need any advice or anything. Good luck!
Original post by vix.xvi
Does anyone know any useful websites for french GCSE? I'm doing it next year and want to get a head start at it? Thanks!

Memrise. This website is one of the best that I have ever used and it is a life-saver. Get some CGP guides and use Quizlet sets. Try listening to French music because that's awesome. Any recommendations needed, I'm always here. Try to watch Cyprien on YouTube, he's quite funny.

For verb conjugations try conjuegemos, it's really difficult at first but it improves fluency drastically. You need to learn the verb rules first and then practice on here.

Once you know a fair amount of French (in Year 10 or 11) begin practice papers. Remember, I do GCSE French and I am always here if you need any advice or are stuck with something (verbs, tenses etc) then just PM and I'll be happy to help. If you don't mind me asking, what grade are you currently at?

Hope this helps a little. 😄
Original post by Roses & Dreams
If you don't mind me asking, what grade are you currently at?

Thanks btw! I'm currently working at a grade 6 in French
Original post by maniccrammer
I did german but a lot of what we used would work for French too
- quizlet is a lifesaver for vocab, you can make your own sets but there’s usually lots made by other people you can use
- Duolingo is free and helps keep your skills up
- we did eduqas exams which has a website with loads of resources for the exams

Other than that I’d recommend trying to immerse yourself in the language- watching movies/netflix etc in French with subtitles or listening to French podcasts and music is really helpful for your listening skills. There’s a duolingo French podcast now, YouTube will have lots of videos I’m sure, and I found listening to the news in your target language is helpful too. I’ve just done my GCSEs but am doing german A level so feel free to pm me if you’ve got any questions or need any advice or anything. Good luck!

Tysm :smile::smile:
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 6
-Quizlet (Flashcard app)
-Duolingo (Vocab and phrases app)
-Word reference (More reliable online translator than google translate as it gives context)
Reply 7
I’m doing French GCSE and seem to be stuck at a grade 6. Any advice?
Reply 8
Do you feel that you are struggling with reading, writing, speaking, listening or a mixture
Original post by Harry14
Do you feel that you are struggling with reading, writing, speaking, listening or a mixture

everything tbh
Original post by vix.xvi
Thanks btw! I'm currently working at a grade 6 in French

That's awesome! 😲
Original post by vix.xvi
everything tbh

To practice writing, find some sample tasks online and answer the questions. Then, use the mark scheme and highlight each example of things like adjectives, opinions, and justifications as well as the tenses. Then you can see which elements you need to learn examples of. for example, in a question about your family if you did not include many adjectives then you could revise personal descriptions such as blonde, freckles, glasses, etc.

For reading learn key words using flashcards for each topic or use Quizlet (a great online flashcard tool that lets you make sets based on topics and play games whilst learning your vocab.) and practice translating texts.

for speaking practice describing pictures under timed conditions and look at the mark scheme to see which points you got and any you missed. You can also practice by asking a parent or friend to ask you some questions in English which you can respond to in French to practice your accent.

For listening download some past papers along with the audio files from your exam board's website and then answer the questions in the booklet and mark it.

Best wishes for next year.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending