The Student Room Group

£ slumps 10% as Boris directly leads to inflation

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by Burton Bridge
Unfortunately it's a sign the market believes we will have no deal. This could all of been avoided in remainer parliamentarians had not been frustrating the process.

Only remoaners complain about Westminister parliamentary scrutiny.
This is why I voted leave, so our SOVEREIGN PARLIAMENT makes law.
Also, only remoaners believe the market fears no deal.
Original post by Quady
Only remoaners complain about Westminister parliamentary scrutiny.
This is why I voted leave, so our SOVEREIGN PARLIAMENT makes law.
Also, only remoaners believe the market fears no deal.

Crikey, we Remoaners just imagined the 35% plunge in the £ since Britain voted Leave. Thank goodness it's not a real thing.
Reply 62
Original post by Fullofsurprises
Crikey, we Remoaners just imagined the 35% plunge in the £ since Britain voted Leave. Thank goodness it's not a real thing.

I think they (you?) might have, how'd you calculate that?
23/06/16 - $1.4883:£1
31/07/17 - $1.2160:£1

100*(1-(1.2160/1.4883)) = 18.3%

How do you manage to get 35%?????
Crikey, we Remoaners just imagined the 35% plunge in the £ since Britain voted Leave.

That is certainly true: you imagined it.
The process was frustrated by real world facts, such as the existence of the Irish border.

Incidentally, today we hear that the US Congress are determined to block any US trade deal with the UK if the border issue threatens the Good Friday Agreement, of which Congress is the guarantor.
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/jul/31/brexit-mess-with-good-friday-and-well-block-uk-trade-deal-us-politicians-warn

Thus a cornerstone of the current Tory policy is going to be impossible to implement unless Boris is willing to accept the Backstop.

No it hasn't, this mess solely created by remainer parliamentarians! It just is, the back stop is not a realistic problem for remainers staying in a permanent customs Union is what they want - the back stop mk1 was a permanent customs Union why did remain MP who are shouting they want this vote against it? - to frustrate the process!

The whole mess realistically is solely tiny minority of in a minority of UK hard core remainers!

Why? We certainly cannot blame the EU, they have offered us what we asked for, several times. Therefore proving that Brexit is possible and was not as difficult as the remainers want to make it out to be! We cannot blame brexiteers they have been frozen out of the negotiation process. The Canadian style deal, offered by the EU president, asked for by the then UK Brexit secretary favoured by the brexiteers was rejected by the remainers, the cheques deal was, offered by the EU, at our request and rejected by the very remainer who negotiated it!! Good old Mrs May (it's not like a Tory to screw the country, oh wait.. ) not satisfied they then run the clock down and we have - May's deal, which was rejected by levers and remainers alike but why did remainers reject what they have been calling for? Then May's deal MK2 which was no surprise was rejected by all, I can understand why remainer MP’s rejected this, but last but not least the exit agreement, previously accepted by remainers but when it was put to a meaningful vote it was accepted reluctantly by most Brexiteers rejected again by the majority of remainers!

114 remainers voted against A50 in the first place and have done nothing but try to halt/stop/sabotage Brexit ever since.

Original post by imlikeahermit
:rolleyes:

Most ridiculous thing I’ve seen posted on these forums in a long time. Had parliamentarian remainers not been frustrating the process for so long then the economy would have gone tits up yonks ago. The change in the market could not have been avoided either way, this ridiculous process is what has cocked the market up, not the delay..

Original post by ByEeek
Hilarious. Now it is remainers fault for causing the reality of Brexit to finally kick in! What did you expect? You voted for this sh1t. You are going to have to wear it.

Well that touched a nerve, eye roll and laugh all you like to comfort yourself from the truth, the truth is still there.

Brexit uncertainty is causing great harm, I've been consistent with this. When all the TSR remaniac's were jumping for joy at the extension, I said spoke about the damage that would happen (and it is happening), I said it was the worst possible outcome. Remainers now have an open checkbook to cause as much misery as they can and divert all blame to Brexit!

But its all been created by remainer parliamentarians who are frustrating the process. We would of left with a deal now if hard core remainers was not over represented in Parliament!

Tell me what the difference is between Corbyn's imaginary deal and May's deal mk1?

Tell me why remainer MP's backed the exit agreement publicly in Parliament, then voted it down in MV3?

That might not be you're greatest post mate.

Markets don't like uncertainty, Parliament is createing the most uncertain time in living memory, they are acting machiavellian to get the outcome they want. Rarther than acting in the national interest.
Original post by Quady
I think they (you?) might have, how'd you calculate that?
23/06/16 - $1.4883:£1
31/07/17 - $1.2160:£1

100*(1-(1.2160/1.4883)) = 18.3%

How do you manage to get 35%?????

Yes, I meant to type 25% (working from memory rather than checking - always a mistake) but clearly I was wrong!

Hoping to keep a low profile now till it blows over.
The £ has slumped to new lows.
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/pound-value-brexit-no-deal-us-dollar-euro-boris-johnson-sterling-latest-a9025076.html

This morning, airport currency exchangers in the UK are offering £1 for $1. Never happened before.

Experts say that this has put 1% on inflation and the price of just about everything in the shops is going to rise as a result.

And this is just the first few days of Boris's new Hard Brexit government. :afraid:

As Jammy alluded to, this is simply a repricing Of Deal vs no deal risk and will actually mean Sterling falls less than it would on day 1 of no deal due to being priced in. Also important to note that inflation takes months to feed through on non-perishable goods as things like washing machines are ordered well in advance of delivery.

Just watching the BOE meeting now and they actually expect the coming months to see inflation fall due to excess supply (falling business investment means the economy is growing now below potential) and indeed in other threads we have spoken about Welsh lamb which may well end up flooding the UK market if we see trade disruption before a later increase down the line.

Important to note that if a deal is passed then the BOE and other banks expect rising Sterling, rising growth after an initial shock and rising demand.
No it hasn't, this mess solely created by remainer parliamentarians! It just is, the back stop is not a realistic problem for remainers staying in a permanent customs Union is what they want - the back stop mk1 was a permanent customs Union why did remain MP who are shouting they want this vote against it? - to frustrate the process!

The whole mess realistically is solely tiny minority of in a minority of UK hard core remainers!

Why? We certainly cannot blame the EU, they have offered us what we asked for, several times. Therefore proving that Brexit is possible and was not as difficult as the remainers want to make it out to be! We cannot blame brexiteers they have been frozen out of the negotiation process. The Canadian style deal, offered by the EU president, asked for by the then UK Brexit secretary favoured by the brexiteers was rejected by the remainers, the cheques deal was, offered by the EU, at our request and rejected by the very remainer who negotiated it!! Good old Mrs May (it's not like a Tory to screw the country, oh wait.. ) not satisfied they then run the clock down and we have - May's deal, which was rejected by levers and remainers alike but why did remainers reject what they have been calling for? Then May's deal MK2 which was no surprise was rejected by all, I can understand why remainer MP’s rejected this, but last but not least the exit agreement, previously accepted by remainers but when it was put to a meaningful vote it was accepted reluctantly by most Brexiteers rejected again by the majority of remainers!

114 remainers voted against A50 in the first place and have done nothing but try to halt/stop/sabotage Brexit ever since.

Well that touched a nerve, eye roll and laugh all you like to comfort yourself from the truth, the truth is still there.

Brexit uncertainty is causing great harm, I've been consistent with this. When all the TSR remaniac's were jumping for joy at the extension, I said spoke about the damage that would happen (and it is happening), I said it was the worst possible outcome. Remainers now have an open checkbook to cause as much misery as they can and divert all blame to Brexit!

But its all been created by remainer parliamentarians who are frustrating the process. We would of left with a deal now if hard core remainers was not over represented in Parliament!

Tell me what the difference is between Corbyn's imaginary deal and May's deal mk1?

Tell me why remainer MP's backed the exit agreement publicly in Parliament, then voted it down in MV3?

The Titanic hit the iceberg that was caused by Cameron caving into the 40 or so Euro Skeptic MPs.

You now seem to be blaiming the third class passengers for getting in the way of the passage to the life boats.

As a denocrat, surely you are heartened by the fact our parliament appears to accurately represent the views of the nation? I mean did you really expect remainers to shut up and go home? I seem to recall much Brexit sentiment that a narrow loss would see loud appeals for another referendum.

And anyway. All thecsh1t that is starting to happen. It isn't actually happening at all because it is project fear.
(edited 4 years ago)

I thought about whether to quote you or not because I know how ridiculously deluded you are by this entire process.

Parliamentary remainers have managed to keep the boat afloat by frustrating the process, it is no coincidence that the pound has had a steady climb over the past few months or so by the apparent chance of no deal been taken off the table. As soon as no deal seems more likely the pound crashes... that is no coincidence. And using the pound as an example again, the pound has never once risen to what it was before brexit, not once, how are you unable to see that a falling pound no matter how much you’ve deluded yourself is not a good thing. Yes it costs less to export but it also costs a ridiculous amount more to import, and most of our manufacturing uses imported products. You are completely economically inept by the looks of things.
Yes, I meant to type 25% (working from memory rather than checking - always a mistake) but clearly I was wrong!

Hoping to keep a low profile now till it blows over.

Hahaha your secrets safe with us, we'll let it blow over and never bring it up again, I promise 😉
Reply 71
I thought about whether to quote you or not because I know how ridiculously deluded you are by this entire process.

Parliamentary remainers have managed to keep the boat afloat by frustrating the process, it is no coincidence that the pound has had a steady climb over the past few months or so by the apparent chance of no deal been taken off the table. As soon as no deal seems more likely the pound crashes... that is no coincidence. And using the pound as an example again, the pound has never once risen to what it was before brexit, not once, how are you unable to see that a falling pound no matter how much you’ve deluded yourself is not a good thing. Yes it costs less to export but it also costs a ridiculous amount more to import, and most of our manufacturing uses imported products. You are completely economically inept by the looks of things.

The pound has never since risen above the $2.42 it was under Thatcher, not once. Clearly this isn't a good thing.
Reply 72
That might not be you're greatest post mate.

Markets don't like uncertainty, Parliament is createing the most uncertain time in living memory, they are acting machiavellian to get the outcome they want. Rarther than acting in the national interest.

Really more uncertain than when everyone went bust 10 years ago....?

I mean fo sure it's up there. But folk aren't hoarding cash and equivalents under their beds yet.

In other news my dad remembers WWII (As will the queen) and our IMF loan then three day week wasn't so long ago...
Original post by Quady
In other news my dad remembers WWII (As will the queen) and our IMF loan then three day week wasn't so long ago...

Not to mention the Korean War, the Cuban missile crisis, the year-long miners' strike, the years of high inflation and 5% mortgages, and the 1987 crash.
Original post by ColinDent
Hahaha your secrets safe with us, we'll let it blow over and never bring it up again, I promise 😉

I came out of the shed where I was heading a little while ago to see if the dust had settled.
Original post by ByEeek
The Titanic hit the iceberg that was caused by Cameron caving into the 40 or so Euro Skeptic MPs.

You now seem to be blaiming the third class passengers for getting in the way of the passage to the life boats.

As a denocrat, surely you are heartened by the fact our parliament appears to accurately represent the views of the nation? I mean did you really expect remainers to shut up and go home? I seem to recall much Brexit sentiment that a narrow loss would see loud appeals for another referendum.

And anyway. All thecsh1t that is starting to happen. It isn't actually happening at all because it is project fear.

Yes that's just a load of nonsense really isn't it?

Cameron did not cave in too just 40 or so MPs in his party. Reality check - what was actually happening was UKIP was gaining lots of political momentum on the back of growing public discourse at the main political parties and eurosceptism! Cameron played party poltics with a subject of much greater importance than his silly party try to win power. He actually won a majority he thought he never would, which in turn meant he had to give the referendum he thought he would never have to give and in turn lost a referendum he never contemplated losing!

Parliament is not accurately representing the public, there is huge over reputation of hard core remaniac's who wish to remain at any cost and act with no rhyme or reason.

Noone has hit any iceberg and to use your deluded analogy if anything the remainers are drilling more holes into the boat nevermind reaching for the lifeboats! The bloody SNP doing whats best for the united Kingdom? Yea right, have you listened to yourself lately? The SNP are god awful they don't give a dam about the union or the European Union, they are simply acting in their own nasty interests to highly damage Scotland and the United Kingdom!

Now as for the rest of your post, one quote from Farage about carrying on campaigning for a second referendum is irrelevant. He would not of got one and should of got one either, however thats totally and utterly irrelevant to the point, you are just playing whataboutery.

I'll repeat Brexit uncertainty is causing great harm, I've been consistent with this. When all the TSR remaniac's were jumping for joy at the extension, I spoke about the damage that would happen (and it is happening), I said it was the worst possible outcome. Remainers now have an open checkbook to cause as much misery as they can and divert all blame to Brexit!

I don't know why you typed your last paragraph, maybe you are simply just not reading my text, you are wrong.

'All thecsh1t that is starting to happen. It isn't actually happening at all because it is project'

Read what I'm saying and open your eyes
I came out of the shed where I was heading a little while ago to see if the dust had settled.

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣 It's cool mate we all make mistakes, even I did once.
Except the uncertainty is coming to an end and a hard Brexit (as you want) is very much on the cards. The markets are responding accordingly. And please don't tell me this is all a surprise. A year ago claims that this happened was Project Fear and thrown in the face of Remoaners.

This is what you wanted. You are going to have to wear it. You voted. This is what happens when you vote. You can't blaim the opposition for the sh1t storm you have contributed to. That just smacks of sour grapes.

Why thank you for your brilliant reply, keeps in tune with the intellectual capacity of remainers to communicate without resorting to insult! fortunately you opinion does not represent reality and thus I am quite economically secure :wink:

Now if you actually understood my text you would have noticed I mentioned 'it's a sign the market believes we will have no deal' I'm unsure how to simply that for you, but it clearly shows the markets don't like uncertainty and no deal is the ultimate in uncertainty.

Now if you can't answer the questions I asked you and can't follow the messages in my posts there is little point in talking to you. However you can delude yourself all you like, if it was not for remainer parliamentarians we would of left now with a deal, the UK government could control EU immigration and the unification of our country would of started, the UK would of no be facing the uncertainity of no deal!
Original post by Onde
We need to stop calling Mr Johnson, esquire "Boris".

There's been a big push to rename him. "de Liar Pfeffel" is my personal favourite.

Quick Reply

Latest