The Student Room Group

Help choosing EPQ question?

So I’m planning on doing an EPQ this year and I wanted to do it on psychedelics and the effect they have on the body physiologically and psychologically or maybe how drug therapy is used to treat things such as alcoholism?

Are illicit/recreational drugs an appropriate topic to do an EPQ on or ? I need to smash it and get at least an A so I won’t even bother if an examiner will overlook it due to the topic

A statement I had in mind is “the psychedelic therapy approach to treating alcoholism and PTSD”

Could anyone perhaps turn this into a question for me or help me think of a question related to psychedelics? Recreational drug use aswell as the use of illicit drugs to treat mental disorders is something I’ve always had an interest in and think it might have potential to write about. Aesthetic medicine is another topic I could do it on but I have no idea what I’d do my question as
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 1
i dont know about this subject area but i can give you advice about EPQ since i messed up, did it last minute and only got a C

do what you are interested in, keep the title short, snappy and clear
PLAN ASAP
make a chart of what you are going to do
gather research early and make a bibliography as you go along, have sources from books, journals not just the internet
write a lot in your dissertation because thats what let me down.
Original post by Nint123
i dont know about this subject area but i can give you advice about EPQ since i messed up, did it last minute and only got a C

PLAN ASAP
gather research early and make a bibliography as you go along, have sources from books, journals not just the internet

Hi, just wondering, what was your EPQ about?
Reply 3
Original post by Nint123

PLAN ASAP

What did you do your EPQ on? And how much approximately did you write for it? Thanks for the advice.
Cant say your statement makes a lot of sense to me.

You cna do any topic, but you should know where the marks are and make sure you hit them.
Reply 5
Original post by festbabe
What did you do your EPQ on? And how much approximately did you write for it? Thanks for the advice.

Title: "is the internet harmful for teenagers?"

I had 3 documents of my own:
dissertation: 3.5k -> Do 4k+
evaluation
presentation which i had to present to my teachers, you might have to do it to a larger audience.

The teacher will give you a project proposal form where you wrtie what your title is and what resources you need etc and the timeframe.There is another document which the teacher will give you where you summarise what you have done at the end of each EPQ session, explain in detail and do this regularly

being on time is the essential part. Unis love this because if you get a good grade they know you will be a good student
Reply 6
Original post by 999tigger
Cant say your statement makes a lot of sense to me.

You cna do any topic, but you should know where the marks are and make sure you hit them.

That’s the thing though, I’ve not been informed on the epq by my college at all, it’s something I’ve been briefly told about so I’m really unsure as to where the marks would be and how I’d gain them
Find out the exam board then get the specification.
Drugs should be a fairly common topic, just take it seriously, keep up the standard of research, science, use of evidence, analysis and evaluation. You should be fine.
Reply 8
Original post by Nint123
Title: "is the internet harmful for teenagers?"

I had 3 documents of my own:
dissertation: 3.5k -> Do 4k+
evaluation
presentation which i had to present to my teachers, you might have to do it to a larger audience.

The teacher will give you a project proposal form where you wrtie what your title is and what resources you need etc and the timeframe.There is another document which the teacher will give you where you summarise what you have done at the end of each EPQ session, explain in detail and do this regularly

being on time is the essential part. Unis love this because if you get a good grade they know you will be a good student

Thanks so much! I’m finding it really hard to decide on a question it’s so frustrating. Do you know exactly why you didn’t do as well? And maybe parts that you knew you did well in? I didn’t know that you had to do a presentation along with a dissertation & evaluation, that’s so annoying
Reply 9
Thanks so much! I’m finding it really hard to decide on a question it’s so frustrating. Do you know exactly why you didn’t do as well? And maybe parts that you knew you did well in? I didn’t know that you had to do a presentation along with a dissertation & evaluation, that’s so annoying

the reason is because i only had 3.5k and i was brief. in my presentation i almost got full marks.

When it comes to the question, think about if it will be easy to find data and information about it and if it is a controversial topic. That is the important thing.
Reply 10
Original post by Nint123
the reason is because i only had 3.5k and i was brief. in my presentation i almost got full marks.

When it comes to the question, think about if it will be easy to find data and information about it and if it is a controversial topic. That is the important thing.

Okay thanks again, just one more question 🤣 how hard is the presentation? Sounds so scary to me I didn’t think you’d be marked on that also
Reply 11
The presentation is not bad at all. Just sumarrising what you did in the project, why you did those things and what you coudve done better etc. search for examples online.

think about it this way, if a nervous autistic boy could do it. you could to!
So I’m planning on doing an EPQ this year and I wanted to do it on psychedelics and the effect they have on the body physiologically and psychologically or maybe how drug therapy is used to treat things such as alcoholism?

Are illicit/recreational drugs an appropriate topic to do an EPQ on or ? I need to smash it and get at least an A so I won’t even bother if an examiner will overlook it due to the topic

A statement I had in mind is “the psychedelic therapy approach to treating alcoholism and PTSD”

Could anyone perhaps turn this into a question for me or help me think of a question related to psychedelics? Recreational drug use aswell as the use of illicit drugs to treat mental disorders is something I’ve always had an interest in and think it might have potential to write about. Aesthetic medicine is another topic I could do it on but I have no idea what I’d do my question as

did you decide on a title in the end? im interested in this topic aswell
did you decide on a title in the end? im interested in this topic as well ; )

Quick Reply

Latest