The Student Room Group

debaiting if my next car should be an auto?

How hard is it to get to grips with an auto really? I had a quick go in one and gave in pretty quickly as I did not feel in control and found a manual easier to drive, which appears to be the opposite of the auto experience as some pass their test in autos to avoid learning the gears. So I can only assume I didn't give it a good enough go.

Are there any advantages to driving an auto barr not having to gear change? I have heard they are more expensive to run but not sure how true that is.
Original post by J0n3zviper
How hard is it to get to grips with an auto really? I had a quick go in one and gave in pretty quickly as I did not feel in control and found a manual easier to drive, which appears to be the opposite of the auto experience as some pass their test in autos to avoid learning the gears. So I can only assume I didn't give it a good enough go.

Are there any advantages to driving an auto barr not having to gear change? I have heard they are more expensive to run but not sure how true that is.

It depends on the exact model of car and how good the automatic gearbox is on that model. Some auto boxes are fantastic, others are abysmal...and whilst some cars suit an automatic box, others really don't.

Generally, older models are less efficient (especially for short urban journeys) and slower than the equivalent manual car, wheras the opposite is true of many new models, especially performance cars from "premium" brands.

If you're looking at 10+ year-old superminis, i.e. typical student cars, you're better off with a manual 99%* of the time. Exceptions include if you're always stuck in stop/start traffic, have mobility problems...or if you manage to find an immaculate old automatic car for a bargain price. Sometimes OAPs buy automatic superminis, use them once a week and when they give-up driving / pass away the cars end-up for sale with hardly any miles on the clock for a bargain price.

As for getting used to driving automatics, they're a doddle. They're the default choice in countries like the USA and Canada.
Reply 2
Original post by J0n3zviper

its highly dependent on the specific car you have and the auto box itself. In my current car it took me maybe a few days to adjust from manual to auto but I'm really enjoying it now. My concerns were similar in that I thought I'd have less control when maneuvering but in my specific car it hasn't been an issue luckily. It's just more pleasant to drive in general, particularly for roundabouts on an incline etc; especially because the manual box I was working with before was abysmal
Reply 3
Auto cars are more expensive to insure cause they're so easy to drive (just stop and go) and they're overall more expensive general. It's a good idea to get your manual license as this will reduce our premium and opt for a auto car because it's less headache

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending