The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 580
Original post by Wired_1800
I hate responding to questions of show me an article or anything along those lines because whatever is produced would simply be dismissed.

I cannot go through the depths of the internet to provide articles that I have read in the past that have portrayed Muslims in a negative light when it had nothing to do with their religion.

debates involve providing evidence. If want to make a claim, it is YOUR duty to provide the evidence and explain how it supports the claim. When your point gets refuted, it is also your duty to refute the refutations that were made - not repeat the same thing again and again, hoping to achieve a different outcome
Reply 581
I actually don't easily get offended. I focus on the arguments rather than emotion.

so why do you get upset when people provide evidence from Quran and tafsirs that highlight Islam's abhorrent attitudes towards homosexuals, women and people of different faiths? You don't like facts and outright evidence , dont you?
Original post by Fuego1
debates involve providing evidence. If want to make a claim, it is YOUR duty to provide the evidence and explain how it supports the claim. When your point gets refuted, it is also your duty to refute the refutations that were made - not repeat the same thing again and again, hoping to achieve a different outcome

Yes, I know how debates work. You dont need to worry about that.

I find certain types of discussions to be tedious to me because some of my partners are not interested in improving their understanding of the subject. They are interested in only trying to discredit one’s position, in order to save face.

One makes a statement, the other person responds “show me evidence”. One shows an evidence, but the other person rejects it and makes up a stupid explanation about it. It gets tedious.

For example, another poster on a thread once asked me to show evidence of articles where there was Islamophobia in the media. This is when we know that Islamophobia has been rife in some parts of the media.
Original post by Fuego1
so why do you get upset when people provide evidence from Quran and tafsirs that highlight Islam's abhorrent attitudes towards homosexuals, women and people of different faiths? You don't like facts and outright evidence , dont you?

I don't get upset about such. Just don't want Islamophobia to exist.
Yes, I know how debates work. You dont need to worry about that.

I find certain types of discussions to be tedious to me because some of my partners are not interested in improving their understanding of the subject. They are interested in only trying to discredit one’s position, in order to save face.

One makes a statement, the other person responds “show me evidence”. One shows an evidence, but the other person rejects it and makes up a stupid explanation about it. It gets tedious.

For example, another poster on a thread once asked me to show evidence of articles where there was Islamophobia in the media. This is when we know that Islamophobia has been rife in some parts of the media.

Hey,
No worries, you don't need to explain yourself, they are getting triggered because you are not giving any strong reaction, it's quite clear :rofl:
Original post by SaraS786
Hey,
No worries, you don't need to explain yourself, they are getting triggered because you are not giving any strong reaction, it's quite clear :rofl:

Thank you.
(edited 4 years ago)
They are unaware that I am quite good at debates.

Based on your replies of "OK", to questions for which that isn't a valid answer, you're rubbish at debates.
Original post by James2312
Why's it ridiculous? They are stories about a man who lived 1400 years ago and his messages.Its not theoretical Astrophysics.Its perfectly possible for someone to have a good understanding of the Qur'an without decades of study.All you'd need is a good English translation.

Yes of course, it's possible to have a good understanding but it's quite obvious that a person who has spent most of their time studying that matter will be much more knowledgeable on it than a person who just has a 'good understanding'. Just like an A-Level Biology student will have a fair understanding of the human body and some of its malfunctions but you will definitely prefer to see the doctor for a more reliable and detailed answer over the A-Level student or equivalent on the matter.
Original post by RogerOxon
Based on your replies of "OK", to questions for which that isn't a valid answer, you're rubbish at debates.

That’s fair
Yes of course, it's possible to have a good understanding but it's quite obvious that a person who has spent most of their time studying that matter will be much more knowledgeable on it than a person who just has a 'good understanding'. Just like an A-Level Biology student will have a fair understanding of the human body and some of its malfunctions but you will definitely prefer to see the doctor for a more reliable and detailed answer over the A-Level student or equivalent on the matter.

The problem is that Islamic "scholars" are not impartial - they want to promote certain interpretations, not decide what, on balance, it means.

Even by Islam's own claims, not a single Islamic "scholar" has yet got their "Islam test" corrections back.
Reply 590
Original post by Underscore__
Seems someone beat me to it. It's also the case that there are no laws prohibiting same-sex sexual activity in any of the countries in the top 10 by Catholic population

I’m not entirely sure what point you’re trying to make, sorry? As that in no way detracts from the fa t real Catholics are doctrinally obliged to hate homosexuals.
Just don't want Islamophobia to exist.

So you don 't want any criticism of Islam (as that is what Islamophobia is).
Original post by Good bloke

Rational criticisms are fine to me, but not irrational criticisms.

But you are not criticising. You ask provocative questions in a way to deliberately cause a reaction, and when you get logical explanations to your claims/questions, you don't want to acknowledge it. So your aim is not to criticise or explore the religion but only to attack. Which is, by definition, Islamophobia.

The difference is that doctors and scientists are actual scholars.They study real science which is actually true.Islamic "scholars" *******ise the word.They have no right to call themselves that.Studying a fairy tale for decades of your life doesn't make you a scholar.It makes you a fool.
Original post by James2312
The difference is that doctors and scientists are actual scholars.They study real science which is actually true.Islamic "scholars" *******ise the word.They have no right to call themselves that.Studying a fairy tale for decades of your life doesn't make you a scholar.It makes you a fool.

After years of study they don't have a right to call themselves scholars, but James on TSR who doesn't even have the basic ability to comprehend, has the right to call them fools lol okay.

Anyway, to get to the point, a few of you were pressing Wired for an answer after they said it's better to ask a scholar and gave no strong reaction, but this caused an emotional, triggered response from you, and it was beyond you to understand that a person who has studied Quranic Arabic, researched interpretations, analysed the Quran and has studied it for years will have a more reliable answer than someone who has read-off an 'English translation' and hence I gave you the example of student-doctor. Clearly it didn't help open your narrow mind. Oh well.
After years of study they don't have a right to call themselves scholars, but James on TSR who doesn't even have the basic ability to comprehend, has the right to call them fools lol okay.

Anyway, to get to the point, a few of you were pressing Wired for an answer after they said it's better to ask a scholar and gave no strong reaction, but this caused an emotional, triggered response from you, and it was beyond you to understand that a person who has studied Quranic Arabic, researched interpretations, analysed the Quran and has studied it for years will have a more reliable answer than someone who has read-off an 'English translation' and hence I gave you the example of student-doctor. Clearly it didn't help open your narrow mind. Oh well.

Yeah because I have a degree in an actual real subject.It doesn't take much hard work to study make belief.As for narrow minds.............People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.
But you are not criticising. You ask provocative questions in a way to deliberately cause a reaction, and when you get logical explanations to your claims/questions, you don't want to acknowledge it. So your aim is not to criticise or explore the religion but only to attack. Which is, by definition, Islamophobia.

I do not need to explore the religion. I've done that and I do, regularly, criticise it (which is Islamophobia). I believe the same applies to most Islamophobes on TSR. My questioning of you is merely to get answers to establish your knowledge of what you have opined on (which appears to be lacking). The only reaction I want to provoke is an answer. That is not Islamophobia.
(edited 4 years ago)
Rational criticisms are fine to me, but not irrational criticisms.

All my criticisms are highly rational.
All my criticisms are highly rational.

Of course you would say so.

Have you ever heard someone say they were racist, homophobic or anti-semitic?

Some people say, “I am not racist, my best friend is black” or “I don't hate Jews, I just despise Israel” or “I am not homophobic, I have gay friends”. It is part of the old trick.

Latest

Trending

Trending