The Student Room Group

Literature review EPQ format

Hello!

i am struggling on what I am supposed to put on my literature review!

I have a word document with all sources I read and I analyized, summarized and evaluated credibility of each source. Am I just suppose to condense that into the literature review?

Also, regarding source analysis and evaluation of its reliability and credibility, thats only for the literature review right? I dont have to include analysis of each source I use everytime in my main body right? (my essay is an economics essay btw)

Scroll to see replies

For my EPQ I created two tables, one for sources I read and did use and for ones I read and didn't use. I recommend doing a literature review for the each page you did w.g. if you wrote 16 pages (not including titles and bibliography) do a literature review for 16 of your sources (this can be split between ones you used and ones you did not use).

Here are the headings I used:

Theme ¦
General theme of the source

Year ¦
Year it was published

Authour(s) ¦
Explains itself

Title ¦
Title of the source

Impact factor ¦
Only applicable for journal, refers to the number of citations it gets in a year which you can google

Effectiveness of source
Why did you use this source etc. how did it shape your project

If you choose not to include a source state your reason for rejection

Note this is just one way of doing it:h:
Original post by ComicalUsername
For my EPQ I created two tables, one for sources I read and did use and for ones I read and didn't use. I recommend doing a literature review for the each page you did w.g. if you wrote 16 pages (not including titles and bibliography) do a literature review for 16 of your sources (this can be split between ones you used and ones you did not use).

Here are the headings I used:

Theme ¦
General theme of the source

Year ¦
Year it was published

Authour(s) ¦
Explains itself

Title ¦
Title of the source

Impact factor ¦
Only applicable for journal, refers to the number of citations it gets in a year which you can google

Effectiveness of source
Why did you use this source etc. how did it shape your project

If you choose not to include a source state your reason for rejection

Note this is just one way of doing it:h:

i dont quite understand. You created a table for your literagure review on your essay?

And what do you mean by the pages example? You mean I have to create a lirerature review seperately for each page?
Original post by seongyun
i dont quite understand. You created a table for your literagure review on your essay?

And what do you mean by the pages example? You mean I have to create a lirerature review seperately for each page?

Yes I'll screenshot the example

Untitled.png
by number of sources i mean, for example, if I write 16 pages in total, then i will review 16 sources, 17 pages and i will do 17 sources etc.
I hope that helps

Edit - by discussing the effectiveness of the sources you are essentially analysing each one, which counts towards the 20% a04 - review marks
(edited 4 years ago)

Untitled.png
by number of sources i mean, for example, if I write 16 pages in total, then i will review 16 sources, 17 pages and i will do 17 sources etc.
I hope that helps

so instead of the classic paragraph literature review which you are supposed to add after the intro, you did a table version instead combined with the bibliography in the appendix?

Untitled.png
I hope that helps

also, why do you have to relate the page number to the source number in your table? You mean that if you have 16 pages, you will have a total of 16 sources in the table?? Wouldnt you use more than 1 source per page in an essay?
I placed my literature review after my summary and conclusion, after that was my bibliography, then my appendix.

My teachers were fine when I submitted and I've already got my grades.

Though as I said this is one system, do a method which is most comfortable for you that allows you to properly express your ideas in the best way

Another way you can do it is an essay based style where you write a paragraph for each source, discuss the nature of the source and analyse the usefulness of each one and how it impacted your project e.g. what information it brought
(edited 4 years ago)

Untitled.png
I hope that helps

Edit - by discussing the effectiveness of the sources you are essentially analysing each one, which counts towards the 20% a04 - review marks

To what im aware, isnt a Literature review supposed to be a paragraph withing your esaay (after the intro and before the main body)?
To what im aware, isnt a Literature review supposed to be a paragraph withing your esaay (after the intro and before the main body)?

It just has to be a review of sources, it does not necessarily have to be in that style, though if that is the style you have been advised to use by your teachers I would strongly suggest using it.

In my EPQ it wasn't appropriate as it disrupted the flow of writing due to how I structured it, which is why I used a table instead.

However, the same categories in the tables can be discussed within the essay
(edited 4 years ago)
I placed my literature review after my summary and conclusion, after that was my bibliography, then my appendix.

My teachers were fine when I submitted and I've already got my grades.

Though as I said this is one system, do a method which is most comfortable for you that allows you to properly express your ideas in the best way

Another way you can do it is an essay based style where you write a paragraph for each source, discuss the nature of the source and analyse the usefulness of each one and how it impacted your project e.g. what information it brought

so your literature review was a table for all sources you used and didnt use. Your bibliography was just the names of the sources on your literature review?

also, what was on the appendix?

Previously, didnt you mention that u combined something? What did u combine because it seems u did your literature review and bibliography seperstely
It just has to be a review of sources, it does not necessarily have to be in that style, though if that is the style you have been advised to use by your teachers I would strongly suggest using it.

In my EPQ it wasn't appropriate as it disrupted the flow of writing due to how I structured it, which is why I used a table instead.

However, the same categories in the tables can be discussed within the essay

To what Im aware, In the traditional literature review, you dont talk about all your sources coz in my case I have like 40. if I talk about it all in my essay, my word count be messed up. Isnt it correct?
No, I apologise for the confusion.

My biblography was all the sources I had used throughout my essay.

My literature review was a select few of my sources (16 of them in total i chose from the biblography) which I analysed and discussed their effictiveness or why I rejected them to use in my main essay. The idea of analysing your sources is relevant to the source analysis bit you have to do, so its like killing to birds with one stone. I'm essentially saying you can combine your analysis of sources with your literature review.

I did also did my biblography and literraure review separately.

My appendix contained any tables, diagrams etc. which I used to support my essay/project as well as a defining scientific terms or in your case you could define economic terms.

Again sorry for the confusion
(edited 4 years ago)
To what Im aware, In the traditional literature review, you dont talk about all your sources coz in my case I have like 40. if I talk about it all in my essay, my word count be messed up. Isnt it correct?

your right you don't talk about all of them, I just chose 16 sources because it balanced out with the number of pages I wrote and I read it on I think the Lancaster or Leicester website? i dont remember.
No, I apologise for the confusion.

My biblography was all the sources I had used throughout my essay.

My literature review was a select few of my sources (16 of them in total) which I analysed and discussed their effictiveness or why I rejected them. The idea of analysing your sources is relevant to source analysis. I'm essentially saying you van combine your analysis of sources with your literature review.

I did also do my biblography and literraure review separately.

My appendix contained any tables, diagrams etc. which I used to support my essay/project as well as a defining scientific terms or in your case you could define economic terms.

Again sorry for the confusion

so to summarize your answer.

The literature review was in a form of a table with a few selected important sources of which you analysised the context, effectiveness.

the bibliography was all the sources you read.

But i have 2 questions. did your literature review table count in the word count? and you told me that I can combine source analysis and literature review. Arent theu the same thing? if not whats the difference and if I decide the seperate it, where do I put the source analysis?
Some schools say different things that's why i distinguished them, essentially literature review and source analysis are the same thing. The act of you discussing the sources is the analysis.

Literature review did count as it was not in the appendix, my word count was about 8600 with bibliography included
Some schools say different things that's why i distinguished them, essentially literature review and source analysis are the same thing. The act of you discussing the sources is the analysis.

Literature review did count as it was not in the appendix, my word count was about 8600 with bibliography included

thanks so much for the help!

One last time simple question and Ill leave you. Does the bibliograph usually count in word count? And did the your word count exceesing recommened 5000 words cut you grade?
No the bibliography does not count in the word count, neither does anything in the appendix.

If I count all of that out my word count was 5600 roughly, I used my appendix to kind of circumvent the word count:tongue: , in the end I got A* even though it went over a bit , just try to keep it around 5000 but you don't get to strigently marked when you go over, it becomes a problem once you start hitting 10,000 etc.

happy i could help:h:
thanks so much for the help!

One last time simple question and Ill leave you. Does the bibliograph usually count in word count? And did the your word count exceesing recommened 5000 words cut you grade?
No the bibliography does not count in the word count, neither does anything in the appendix.

If I count all of that out my word count was 5600 roughly, I used my appendix to kind of circumvent the word count:tongue: , in the end I got A* even though it went over a bit , just try to keep it around 5000 but you don't get to strigently marked when you go over, it becomes a problem once you start hitting 10,000 etc.

happy i could help:h:

so your bibliography was 3000 words???? how many sources did u have?
and you used your appendix to describe some things instead of doing it in essay to reduce word count?
(edited 4 years ago)
My biblography and appendix was 3000, I had about 82 sources, several diagrams, annotations and explanations of diagrams and a dictionary.

I could have fully explained from scratch these diagrams but instead i explained them in my appendix with the diagram and then explained the meaning of the diagram in relation to project within my essay e.g.

"As seen in figure 2, bees are more likely to pollinate purple flowers" then i would go to the corresponding diagram in figure 2 and kind of explain the diagram etc.

so your bibliography was 3000 words???? how many sources did u have?
and you used your appendix to describe some things instead of doing it in essay to reduce word count?
My biblography and appendix was 3000, I had about 82 sources, several diagrams, annotations and explanations of diagrams and a dictionary.

I could have fully explained from scratch these diagrams but instead i explained them in my appendix with the diagram and then explained the meaning of the diagram in relation to project within my essay e.g.

"As seen in figure 2, bees are more likely to pollinate purple flowers" then i would go to the corresponding diagram in figure 2 and kind of explain the diagram etc.

do u know that instead of explaing concepts and diagrams on the appenix, I could do it on footnotes??

also how many of each type of source did u have to get 80 sources?!?! Like how many journals, how many books, statiscal data... etc.?

and how many out of 80 did u actually use and cite in your essay?
(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending