The Student Room Group

PGCE funding international fees

aa
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by morganevans22
hello,

I have been accepted onto a PGCE course in England but the university has put me down for international fees, even thought I am a UK citizen, as I mentioned that I have spent some time abroad over the last several years and therefore they can question whether or not I have been ordinarily resident, whatever that means. I plan to appeal, but if I lose my appeal, would I still be entitled to receive a bursary or loan from Student Finance England?

I was elated to gain an offer, but I doubt that I could afford to study without a bursary or loan.

Where have you been living over the last 6 years and why?

When did you get back to the UK and do you normally live here?

It is important to understand why you left/ on what basis.

What you were doing abroad and why you came back.

Just in basic terms.

It sounds like they are not satisfied you met the residence requirement based on the info you provided.

If you dont understand the rule, then I dont see how you can appeal. A passport is not enough.

Why are you back in the UK and are you intending to stay? Irrespective of studies.

If your appeal fails thn you will not be entitled either to home fee rates or assistance from student finance.
Original post by 999tigger
Where have you been living over the last 6 years and why?

When did you get back to the UK and do you normally live here?

It is important to understand why you left/ on what basis.

What you were doing abroad and why you came back.

Just in basic terms.

It sounds like they are not satisfied you met the residence requirement based on the info you provided.

If you dont understand the rule, then I dont see how you can appeal. A passport is not enough.

Why are you back in the UK and are you intending to stay? Irrespective of studies.

If your appeal fails thn you will not be entitled either to home fee rates or assistance from student finance.

It's not necessary to provide evidence for the last 3 years. You only need to prove that you were ordinarily resident for 3 years prior to the course start date.

I only had one question, thank you for answering. I have also confirmed with the uni admissions team that I would not be able to receive a bursary or loan failing my appeal for home fee status.

Information about appealing the decision can be found here: https://www.ukcisa.org.uk/Information--Advice/Fees-and-Money/Ordinary-
residence-case-law.

If anyone has successfully appealed their fee paying status, I would appreciate any information on the kind of evidence you submitted to support your case
It's not necessary to provide evidence for the last 3 years. You only need to prove that you were ordinarily resident for 3 years prior to the course start date.

I only had one question, thank you for answering. I have also confirmed with the uni admissions team that I would not be able to receive a bursary or loan failing my appeal for home fee status.

Information about appealing the decision can be found here: https://www.ukcisa.org.uk/Information--Advice/Fees-and-Money/Ordinary-
residence-case-law.

If anyone has successfully appealed their fee paying status, I would appreciate any information on the kind of evidence you submitted to support your case

Thank you that was really helpful. I ask because I was trying to assist as I am well placed to do so, but you seem to have it all figured out so GL.
Original post by 999tigger
Thank you that was really helpful. I ask because I was trying to assist as I am well placed to do so, but you seem to have it all figured out so GL.

I did figure it out, no thanks to your sarcastic comments...
I did figure it out, no thanks to your sarcastic comments...

Hilarious when people who you are trying to help start arguing with you and do their best to be unhelpful.
Took you 8 months to reply, says it all.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending