The Student Room Group

‘The ultimate LNAT guide’

So I have started ‘The ultimate LNAT guide- 400 practise questions’ by William Anthony and Dr Rohan Agarwal

My question is: how easy is the book compared to the real thing?

I’ve been getting in the 30s which is very good, so was wondering if I should take this with a pinch of salt

I know that some practise sources (e.g. Arbitio) are designed to be harder, so does anyone know how difficult this book is generally perceived to be?

Thank u!

Scroll to see replies

Have you tried an official practice paper yet from the actual LNAT website? Or Arbitio’s free sample paper?
I'm having a similar issue - compared to the LNAT tests from the website, I've been finding the questions from the guide far easier, so I'm inclined to focus my practice on Arbitio and other sources of a similar standard.
Pls stop with the snarky comments
I only ever post to get a genuine answer
Original post by Kristen1283
Have you tried an official practice paper yet from the actual LNAT website? Or Arbitio’s free sample paper?

I haven’t tried an official practise paper
But I got 22 on Arbitios sample paper
Original post by starsmile
I'm having a similar issue - compared to the LNAT tests from the website, I've been finding the questions from the guide far easier, so I'm inclined to focus my practice on Arbitio and other sources of a similar standard.

I’m glad I’m not the only one haha
I’ve decided to complete the ultimate guide and then move on to Arbitio, so the standard of my practise gets tougher the closer it gets to the actual test
Reply 6
Honestly, I don’t find the books particularly helpful or reflective of the real test.

They’re good to get technique nailed down but they’re expensive and I didn’t see many similarities. I’d stick to doing the practice simulators online and the Lawyer Portal ones which I felt were useful.

It’s good to practice, but I feel as if you’re definitely overestimating how much you need to do; I’d say a lot of it is intrinsic.
Thank you :smile:
I’d also ask how your essays are/what unis you’re applying to
Original post by Arisapo
Honestly, I don’t find the books particularly helpful or reflective of the real test.

They’re good to get technique nailed down but they’re expensive and I didn’t see many similarities. I’d stick to doing the practice simulators online and the Lawyer Portal ones which I felt were useful.

It’s good to practice, but I feel as if you’re definitely overestimating how much you need to do; I’d say a lot of it is intrinsic.

I’ll definitely make sure to make use of Arbitio:smile:

Also I’m taking a lot less panicked approach to the test...Not doing much atm, but I will intensify it closer to the test date (I’ve booked for start of sept which is why I’ve started prep early)
I’d also ask how your essays are/what unis you’re applying to

The lnat unis I’m applying to are: Bristol, Durham, Nottingham

I’ve looked up what these unis are looking for in the essay, and have used this (along with model essays and other resources) to come up with a structure/technique of my own
As of now I’ve just started to research around current affairs/read the news and i will start practising essays tomorrow

:smile:
Original post by rose.obrien
The lnat unis I’m applying to are: Bristol, Durham, Nottingham

I’ve looked up what these unis are looking for in the essay, and have used this (along with model essays and other resources) to come up with a structure/technique of my own
As of now I’ve just started to research around current affairs/read the news and i will start practising essays tomorrow

:smile:

Fair enough, although don't be too rigid with writing. Often when people come up with techniques and structures they don't have a lot of fun with the essay. Be flexible, ofc focus on structure and make sure it's a coherent argument but ygm.

I also don't think it's completely necessary to research a lot of current affairs. I'm pretty sure I only mentioned one and it was very brief, and it seems a lot of students often focus too much on packing in facts/current affairs that they don't turn out to be completely relevant and are quite waffley.

Don't be afraid to post essays on TSR btw. Quite a few do it:smile:
I’ll definitely make sure to make use of Arbitio:smile:

Also I’m taking a lot less panicked approach to the test...Not doing much atm, but I will intensify it closer to the test date (I’ve booked for start of sept which is why I’ve started prep early)

Definitely a good idea; it’s not a test you’d really cram for.

If you do a few practice tests and use Arbitio you should be fine. Other books can be helpful in terms of technique and extra practice but I wouldn’t put too much time into them.

Essay wise you should be fine as long as you have a solid grasp of current issues and can structure a well-thought out, evenly weighted essay. If you study any essay subject at A-Level it should come pretty naturally.

Mind you if you’re applying to Durham, Bristol and Nottingham, you may get away without having an incredibly high score; imagine Notts would take you whatever so long as you didn’t do way below average, Bristol would look for average and Durham may be more on the harsh side.

If you get above 25 you should be content if I’m honest and have every chance.
Original post by Arisapo

If you do a few practice tests and use Arbitio you should be fine. Other books can be helpful in terms of technique and extra practice but I wouldn’t put too much time into them.

Essay wise you should be fine as long as you have a solid grasp of current issues and can structure a well-thought out, evenly weighted essay. If you study any essay subject at A-Level it should come pretty naturally.

Mind you if you’re applying to Durham, Bristol and Nottingham, you may get away without having an incredibly high score; imagine Notts would take you whatever so long as you didn’t do way below average, Bristol would look for average and Durham may be more on the harsh side.

Perhaps wait for stats on this year's admissions RE the LNAT come out (I'm tired, that didn't make sense but ygm hopefully):smile: Mostly because I've seven several people with 18 get into Durham. I got into Bristol with 23, but someone I saw here got rejected with over 30.
Great, thank you:smile:
It’s quite annoying that LSE doesn’t have the data though, it’s their first year doing it so it seems next year’s applicants won’t have much of an idea of what mark they should be aiming for.
Fair enough, although don't be too rigid with writing. Often when people come up with techniques and structures they don't have a lot of fun with the essay. Be flexible, ofc focus on structure and make sure it's a coherent argument but ygm.

I also don't think it's completely necessary to research a lot of current affairs. I'm pretty sure I only mentioned one and it was very brief, and it seems a lot of students often focus too much on packing in facts/current affairs that they don't turn out to be completely relevant and are quite waffley.

Don't be afraid to post essays on TSR btw. Quite a few do it:smile:

Ahh idk how to not make my essay rigid😅
Technique is something I’ve always felt I’ve had to come up with before tackling any essay
I’ll submit one for marking to Arbitio and see what the feedback is

That’s good about current affairs, I don’t plan to pack them into my essay
Just trying to build up a nice range across topics so hopefully i can slip one or two references in

Maybe i will post an essay or few on here, thank u for the advice !
Original post by Arisapo

That’s reassuring! I really want to get a Nottingham offer in the bag, then I’ll feel safe

From my understanding, Bristol puts 40% weighting on lnat whereas Durham uses it more to differentiate candidates
So although Durham law is generally harder to get into, perhaps they’re less harsh when it comes to lnat?
Idk, it doesn’t really matter, I’ll just do my best:smile:
That’s reassuring! I really want to get a Nottingham offer in the bag, then I’ll feel safe

From my understanding, Bristol puts 40% weighting on lnat whereas Durham uses it more to differentiate candidates
So although Durham law is generally harder to get into, perhaps they’re less harsh when it comes to lnat?
Idk, it doesn’t really matter, I’ll just do my best:smile:

Doing your best is honestly all you can do but try not to stress too much over it as it’s definitely not the be all and end all.

I got a Nottingham offer and I scored 23 (if my memory serves me correctly), which was exactly average this year. I turned it down for Exeter but I had the offer there; people say they were accepted this year with 16 into Notts so we don’t really know.

Similarly to Durham and Bristol, I believe someone on here said they got into Durham with just 14 or something along those lines, so it’s only a part of the application.

Obviously try and do as well as possible but we don’t know how much weighting unis really place on it, what the average will be that year or other mitigating factors.

You’re on the right path just don’t overthink it :smile:
Original post by Arisapo
Doing your best is honestly all you can do but try not to stress too much over it as it’s definitely not the be all and end all.

I got a Nottingham offer and I scored 23 (if my memory serves me correctly), which was exactly average this year. I turned it down for Exeter but I had the offer there; people say they were accepted this year with 16 into Notts so we don’t really know.

Similarly to Durham and Bristol, I believe someone on here said they got into Durham with just 14 or something along those lines, so it’s only a part of the application.

Obviously try and do as well as possible but we don’t know how much weighting unis really place on it, what the average will be that year or other mitigating factors.

You’re on the right path just don’t overthink it :smile:

Rn i don’t seem to be improving on my lnat score which is so frustrating
I’ve been going through corrections and all of that
But I’ll try not to panic anyway:smile:

Also can I ask what make u choose Exeter over notts? I’m thinking of applying to both :smile: xx
Rn i don’t seem to be improving on my lnat score which is so frustrating
I’ve been going through corrections and all of that
But I’ll try not to panic anyway:smile:

Also can I ask what make u choose Exeter over notts? I’m thinking of applying to both :smile: xx

You said you’re getting in the 30s so there’s really no reason to panic that is much better than the average candidate so it should be more about maintaining that than improving. Even high 20s is very good so don’t put too much pressure on yourself.

I applied to Durham, Notts, Exeter, York and Newcastle and got offers from all 5. I narrowed it down to Exeter and Notts actually but chose Exeter because when looking around I really liked the feel of it, the campus, location etc and the law structure seemed to suit me more with the syndicate groups.

My key advice is to go with your favourite and where you feel you’d achieve the most if you studied there. Don’t worry about “reputation” as employers won’t care which one is better when there’s really barely any difference between Bristol, Exeter, York, Notts, Durham, KCL, Manchester (could go on).

Choose the one you’d be happiest at, which for me was Exeter :smile:

If you want anymore advice or questions feel free to PM xx

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending