How do you revise for AQA chemistry a level?

Watch
Anonymous_000
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Iv kinda neglected my chemistry revision and I want to catch up this summer in the hope of achieving an A or A star. How did you revise for chemistry? I was thinking of scanning through chemrevise notes and then using physics and maths tutor for the topic tests. Is this a good way? Those of you who achieved an A or A star, how did u do it and what did you find useful?
Ðeggs
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I’d recommend watching Unjaded Jade’s videos about a level chemistry if you’re a bit stuck. I like to make condensed flash cards for each bit of key information from the chapter right after we’ve done it in class. Just the essential information. But the main bulk of my revision is exam questions. I sue the AQA textbook, my CGP workbook, CGP revision guide, and A level chemistry . Com. Make sure you mark them, and then I write out flashcards on the questions in get wrong, and the correct answers to them Eg I struggled with a question « why does calcium have a higher melting point than barium » and then I’d write in the flashcards the key information the mark scheme wants, not what I had written which wasn’t relevant.
Anonymous_000
Rep:
?
(Original post by Deggs_14)
I’d recommend watching Unjaded Jade’s videos about a level chemistry if you’re a bit stuck. I like to make condensed flash cards for each bit of key information from the chapter right after we’ve done it in class. Just the essential information. But the main bulk of my revision is exam questions. I sue the AQA textbook, my CGP workbook, CGP revision guide, and A level chemistry . Com. Make sure you mark them, and then I write out flashcards on the questions in get wrong, and the correct answers to them Eg I struggled with a question « why does calcium have a higher melting point than barium » and then I’d write in the flashcards the key information the mark scheme wants, not what I had written which wasn’t relevant.
Thanks, I feel like with chemistry flash cards don’t really help me unless it’s about mechanisms. I mean at times il know the content but the questions will be worded different hence I thought maybe exam practice will help alongside the chemrevise notes for revision. I don’t know if that is a good approach.
yoxox
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I made my own notes using chemrevise and chemguide. YouTube videos helped me grasp the concept. But I'd definitely recommend making notes/flashcards!
Anonymous_000
Rep:
?
(Original post by yoxox)
I made my own notes using chemrevise and chemguide. YouTube videos helped me grasp the concept. But I'd definitely recommend making notes/flashcards!
Thanks, I have class notes and some of my own, I think il use YouTube videos to understand a topic and then practice plenty of questions, that way il learn as I practice.
anonymoussse
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
in order to make year 13 run smoothly, don't waste any more time. u have 4 weeks, ideally you'll need all 6 weeks. but u've got time.

u have a perfect plan. go thru it chapter by chapter, before u attempt the exam packs for the first chapter, skim thru chemrevise on that specific chapter...just skim, don't attempt to memorise everything because it's probs not gonna work just yet. doing exam questions helps u memorise it fully. (physics +maths tutor is perfect. also..try save my exams )

then by the 17th (?) chapter u're done and good to go then finish all the AQA AS past papers. if u do 1 per day you'll be done by the 28th day but i don't see why u can't do 2 per day. it doesn't take long at all. (2.5 hours-3hours usually, but that's only 3 hours of chem a day and it goes by quickly bc exam papers are actually fun!! )

remember the time u spend on notes to exam questions ratio should ideally be 1:9 lol

(for year 13 later on: machemguy is amazing at PH and buffers especially. i'd recommend buying Jim Clark's Calculations book too.)
Last edited by anonymoussse; 2 years ago
Anonymous_000
Rep:
?
(Original post by anonymoussse)
in order to make year 13 run smoothly, don't waste any more time. u have 4 weeks, ideally you'll need all 6 weeks. but u've got time.

u have a perfect plan. go thru it chapter by chapter, before u attempt the exam packs for the first chapter, skim thru chemrevise on that specific chapter...just skim, don't attempt to memorise everything because it's probs not gonna work just yet. doing exam questions helps u memorise it fully. (physics +maths tutor is perfect. also..try save my exams )

then by the 17th (?) chapter u're done and good to go then finish all the AQA AS past papers. if u do 1 per day you'll be done by the 28th day but i don't see why u can't do 2 per day. it doesn't take long at all. (2.5 hours-3hours usually, but that's only 3 hours of chem a day and it goes by quickly bc exam papers are actually fun!! )

remember the time u spend on notes to exam questions ratio should ideally be 1:9 lol

(for year 13 later on: machemguy is amazing at PH and buffers especially. i'd recommend buying Jim Clark's Calculations book too.)
Your plan seems legit but il tell you what I have decided, I’m going to spend a whole day on chemistry and fit in two topics, I’m doing the same with bio so about three/4 days dedicated to chem and 3/4 dedicated to bio. Iv also got my ukcat so I want to dedicate a week to that. So realistically I have the rest of this week and two other weeks, if I do 2 topics a day il manage and hopeful have time to do some past papers. I mean times the problem so I’d have to do as much as I can before school starts. Iv done a few topics already just briefly (2) so il go over them if I have time at the end.
anonymoussse
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
you're going to forget everything if u just do notes. u need to do past papers before anything. ESPECIALLY for biology. that's how i got As in my mocks throughout year 13. doing notes gets you nowhere.
from now till ur exams, honestly, forget everything i said, and just do 2 past papers for chem starting today and 1 past paper for biology, you'll get As in ur first year 13 mocks.

i had the same ukcat problem too. one week isn't enough. u can't buy 1 week subscription on medify btw. do 4 weeks. there's no rush right now for ukcat. u can do it in the 3rd week of school if u like.

(u definitely don't need a whole day to do 2 topics, u're wasting time / going too deep in the details for that topic ...do a full past paper and u will progress the fastest or, if u are actually spending like 95% of ur time doing exam questions for this topic then that's good)
ArcanusPeony
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Once you've grasped the core content, I would suggest going through all of the past papers available at least twice. This includes the past and new specifications. Make a spreadsheet on Microsoft Excel listing all of the papers and add columns in which you can input your marks so that you compare your previous attempts. Then make a document consisting of all the questions you got wrong and go over that document regularly. Hope this helps. Good luck!
Anonymous_000
Rep:
?
you're going to forget everything if u just do notes. u need to do past papers before anything. ESPECIALLY for biology. that's how i got As in my mocks throughout year 13. doing notes gets you nowhere.
from now till ur exams, honestly, forget everything i said, and just do 2 past papers for chem starting today and 1 past paper for biology, you'll get As in ur first year 13 mocks.

i had the same ukcat problem too. one week isn't enough. u can't buy 1 week subscription on medify btw. do 4 weeks. there's no rush right now for ukcat. u can do it in the 3rd week of school if u like.

(u definitely don't need a whole day to do 2 topics, u're wasting time / going too deep in the details for that topic ...do a full past paper and u will progress the fastest or, if u are actually spending like 95% of ur time doing exam questions for this topic then that's good)
Il just whiz past my plan.
The aim is to do two topics a day for chem on exam questions. Basically spend maximum of an hour going over the notes and the rest of the day just on exam practice. So basically practice questions for every individual topic. For biology the aim is to dedicate two days pen 3 to a whole chapter, again quickly go over the notes and the notes and then do exam questions. I have my ukcat around the 20th so the Aim is to do all of bio section 1 and 2 questions and physical and inorganic chem. then il have roughly two weeks after my ukcat so id do the same with organic and sections 3 and 4. My revision is aimed around exam practice and learn content alongside the way. And In the last two weeks il try to fit in practicals ect. What do you think?
Anonymous_000
Rep:
?

As for my ukcat I might buy the two week subscription, on the first week il do 2 hours everyday and on the final week il do 7 full days of ukcat only. Btw what grades did u get in Chem and bio if you don’t mind me asking and Howe didn’t u cope with year 13?
Last edited by Anonymous_000; 2 years ago
Anonymous_000
Rep:
?
(Original post by ArcanusPeony)
Once you've grasped the core content, I would suggest going through all of the past papers available at least twice. This includes the past and new specifications. Make a spreadsheet on Microsoft Excel listing all of the papers and add columns in which you can input your marks so that you compare your previous attempts. Then make a document consisting of all the questions you got wrong and go over that document regularly. Hope this helps. Good luck!
Thank you, at the moment I’m focusing on individual topic questions which I believe aren’t taken from past papers and then after when I have time I’ll do timed papers.
anonymoussse
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous_000)
Il just whiz past my plan.
The aim is to do two topics a day for chem on exam questions. Basically spend maximum of an hour going over the notes and the rest of the day just on exam practice. So basically practice questions for every individual topic. For biology the aim is to dedicate two days pen 3 to a whole chapter, again quickly go over the notes and the notes and then do exam questions. I have my ukcat around the 20th so the Aim is to do all of bio section 1 and 2 questions and physical and inorganic chem. then il have roughly two weeks after my ukcat so id do the same with organic and sections 3 and 4. My revision is aimed around exam practice and learn content alongside the way. And In the last two weeks il try to fit in practicals ect. What do you think?
the exam practice ure doing for each topic is good, but hop on to past papers.

i'd then use my textbook to finish all the summary/practice questions. and meanwhile, i'd look back at my past papers and see where my weak areas are (enthalpy T_T) then i'd do savemyexams Exam packs on enthalpy. then i'd go back and re-complete the past papers i've done.

for bio, i'd literally chuck all the textbooks to the side. then i'd take it past paper by past paper. i'd occasionally look back at my textbooks and make notes on the exam questions i was stuck on.

not even gna lie, i learnt most of organic chemistry just from exam questions.
i learnt amines-chapter 27 (ocr) just from exam practice.
Jinwon
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Iv kinda neglected my chemistry revision and I want to catch up this summer in the hope of achieving an A or A star. How did you revise for chemistry? I was thinking of scanning through chemrevise notes and then using physics and maths tutor for the topic tests. Is this a good way? Those of you who achieved an A or A star, how did u do it and what did you find useful?
Allerytutor is really good for chemistry, he goes through the spec and covers and explain each point. Very useful for quick revision, I’d advise watching on 1.25/1.5 speed though. Do ALL the topic tests on PMT, it’s very long, but in the long run it’ll help you master that topic if you do enough. Save the past papers until like a month before your exams maybe, and every question you get wrong, note it, and do those questions again only. Do the past papers again just before your exams.
Anonymous_000
Rep:
?
(Original post by Jinwon)
Allerytutor is really good for chemistry, he goes through the spec and covers and explain each point. Very useful for quick revision, I’d advise watching on 1.25/1.5 speed though. Do ALL the topic tests on PMT, it’s very long, but in the long run it’ll help you master that topic if you do enough. Save the past papers until like a month before your exams maybe, and every question you get wrong, note it, and do those questions again only. Do the past papers again just before your exams.
Thanks, With physics and maths tutor they have a lot of questions. So for each topic they have questions for each sub topic within the topic, they also have an aqa exam and I think it has everything condensed in one from the whole topic. Shall I just do the aqa topic tests on physics and maths tutor? They consist of 20 pages each.
Anonymous_000
Rep:
?
the exam practice ure doing for each topic is good, but hop on to past papers.

i'd then use my textbook to finish all the summary/practice questions. and meanwhile, i'd look back at my past papers and see where my weak areas are (enthalpy T_T) then i'd do savemyexams Exam packs on enthalpy. then i'd go back and re-complete the past papers i've done.

for bio, i'd literally chuck all the textbooks to the side. then i'd take it past paper by past paper. i'd occasionally look back at my textbooks and make notes on the exam questions i was stuck on.

not even gna lie, i learnt most of organic chemistry just from exam questions.
i learnt amines-chapter 27 (ocr) just from exam practice.
Thanks I think il try to fit in one past paper in every day, how effective were your revision techniques, did they help you achieve an A or B?
Jinwon
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Thanks, With physics and maths tutor they have a lot of questions. So for each topic they have questions for each sub topic within the topic, they also have an aqa exam and I think it has everything condensed in one from the whole topic. Shall I just do the aqa topic tests on physics and maths tutor? They consist of 20 pages each.
Yeah just do those, if you have time just do everything you can, best way to get good results
Anonymous_000
Rep:
?
(Original post by Jinwon)
Yeah just do those, if you have time just do everything you can, best way to get good results
Thank you, really appreciate the advice.
Jinwon
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Thank you, really appreciate the advice.
No worries
anonymoussse
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Thanks I think il try to fit in one past paper in every day, how effective were your revision techniques, did they help you achieve an A or B?
the only revision technique is past papers. u're not actually learning biology at a level. ure just memorising the mark schemes. no lie. it doesn't matter how much u know the textbook/the subject, if u cant prove it by hitting the points form the mark schemes u won't get the grade

i was barely getting Cs in bio year 13. then i began doing past papers for AS bio only, i did like half of them and i got an A in my second mock, and only A*s and As after that.

biology was my strongest subject bc i did exam practice for it

i finished all the AS/A2 past papers like three times this year, i'm expecting an A or A*. (timing was horrible for paper 3 and chem revision took most of my time in the second half of the year). ure wasting ur time with notes and stuff. past papers.

for chem, i was flopping from the start till april. lol. i was wasting so much time on learning the theory, and i was good, but that's useless at the end of the day.

i did past papers from april and once i was done the first time round, i kept getting Bs in my mocks. I'm expecting a B no less no more. (literally, a full 6 marker came up that i've done before). i wish i just did that way, way earlier. if u do them like 3 times or more, u should get an A*. i just didn't have enough confidence bc i starting effective revision late that's why i keep banging on about past papers
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (18)
28.13%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (5)
7.81%
No I am happy with my choice (37)
57.81%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (4)
6.25%

Watched Threads