The Student Room Group

Discord/gaming HELP. Safety risk.

Hi Guys.

It's a long story so I'm going to keep it as short as possible.

Basically I online game and because of this HAD a discord account too.

It's been going across this game that this certain player and individual is basically dangerous, exposes people, gets people IP addresses etc. And it even came out this individual lost another players IRL job?

So i had a friend on there, and we got on really well, so i exchanged him my number to whatsapp him. From then, the guy i gave my mobile number too has become quite great friends with this predator dude, and im scared he'll leak my number to him.

I'm just wondering, if this predator did have my mobile number and IP address what could he find out from this? I'm so anxious and i struggle with anxiety anyway!
If anyone could help i'd be eternally grateful. Thanks!

Edit: The guy who was trustworthy, and leaked my number to this predator, we used to live in the same city, have mutual friends etc. So i didn't think twice when giving it him in the first place
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by daizymae
Hi Guys.

It's a long story so I'm going to keep it as short as possible.

Basically I online game and because of this HAD a discord account too.

It's been going across this game that this certain player and individual is basically dangerous, exposes people, gets people IP addresses etc. And it even came out this individual lost another players IRL job?

So i had a friend on there, and we got on really well, so i exchanged him my number to whatsapp him. From then, the guy i gave my mobile number too has become quite great friends with this predator dude, and im scared he'll leak my number to him.

I'm just wondering, if this predator did have my mobile number and IP address what could he find out from this? I'm so anxious and i struggle with anxiety anyway!
If anyone could help i'd be eternally grateful. Thanks!

If you gave someone your number and didn't trust them to keep it to themselves why did you give it to them in the first place?
Giving out personal info is the one thing you don't do on the internet.
Reply 2
Original post by Hey1234567888656
If you gave someone your number and didn't trust them to keep it to themselves why did you give it to them in the first place?
Giving out personal info is the one thing you don't do on the internet.

Basically we used to live in the same city, and have mutual friends, so this person used to be trustworthy. But now im panicking.
Basically we used to live in the same city, and have mutual friends, so this person used to be trustworthy. But now im panicking.

If your this worried nothing is going to stop your worrying unless you address the problem and confront the person you gave the info to and be very clear that this does not get shared and stays between you two.
Reply 4
If your this worried nothing is going to stop your worrying unless you address the problem and confront the person you gave the info to and be very clear that this does not get shared and stays between you two.

I already have, but I found out (after may i add) that he dosen't always keep to his word. And also this predator, has ways of getting information out of people hes really manipulative. I have since deleted discord blocked this person etc, but I made this thread as what could he get out of getting my number? address? name? Dob? etc..
I already have, but I found out (after may i add) that he dosen't always keep to his word. And also this predator, has ways of getting information out of people hes really manipulative. I have since deleted discord blocked this person etc, but I made this thread as what could he get out of getting my number? address? name? Dob? etc..

To get all of that from a phone number would be pretty hard, the only way I could think of getting that type of info would be to dox you.
Reply 6
To get all of that from a phone number would be pretty hard, the only way I could think of getting that type of info would be to dox you.

sorry i'm real stupid, what is dox?
I've already googled myself, my name, my number and nothing ever comes up
sorry i'm real stupid, what is dox?
I've already googled myself, my name, my number and nothing ever comes up

Ye np, doxing is when you could access someone's private data and make it public through looking at databases but would require more skills than he probably has. And if nothing comes up when you google your name and he doesn't even know that you should be fine.
(Also if your underage you should probably tell someone just throwing it out there)
(edited 4 years ago)
"I have your IP address" is what kids say when they want to sound like a hacker without knowing anything about computing.

Every website has your IP, there are even sites that show you yours for convenience. It only shows the city and area you're in. But now more than ever, people have 'dynamic IPs' which means it changes (hence why IP banning is ineffective and also why you might be randomly bannned from somewhere you've never visited).

As for having your number, that might be useful if they had something else personal or your email address too.
Reply 9
Original post by ozzyoscy
"I have your IP address" is what kids say when they want to sound like a hacker without knowing anything about computing.

Every website has your IP, there are even sites that show you yours for convenience. It only shows the city and area you're in. But now more than ever, people have 'dynamic IPs' which means it changes (hence why IP banning is ineffective and also why you might be randomly bannned from somewhere you've never visited).

As for having your number, that might be useful if they had something else personal or your email address too.

Hi Ozzy!
Thank you for your reply!
I'm certain they don't have my email address, and if they did, that would be very easy to change. However, my name, possibly :/
...if this predator did have my mobile number and IP address what could he find out from this? I'm so anxious and i struggle with

With your IP address it wont be much that they could do. Like it was said above by more and more people having Dynamic IP addresses instead of Static ones. By having a Dynamic IP address with your Internet Provider, it will refresh and change in intervals anyway. Even if you were worried you could simply just power off your router, and then power it back on to refresh a new IP address to your machine.

With a IP address, the worst they can do is find your City and Area you live in. So that i would not worry about.

You may want to consider changing your phone number if it is concerning you ? I only give my number to solid people i can trust. If i know they have links else where, no way do i give it to them.

Quick Reply

Latest