The Student Room Group

"Send Her Back! "

Scroll to see replies

It's kind of ironic because America (as we know it) was founded from European immigrants who colonised the land from the Native Americans who moved there
30 000 years ago.
America is descended from immigrants
Reply 241
yes send her back :smile:
The flag molester in chief yet again showing his love for the country he's supposedly leading:

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/07/28/politics/baltimore-response-trump-tweets/index.html

Response from Baltimore's mayor:

Send him back?
Original post by James2312
You really don't see how telling people to go back to where they came from isn't racist?

If that’s all he had said then I’d agree, it would be racist but the rest of the statement matters.

Would he have said that to a white person?

I don’t know but it would have made far less sense; as far as I’m aware no white US congressmen or women trace their heritage to countries that are noticeably more corrupt or crime infested than the US. There’s a semblance of sense in what he said because countries like Somalia, Palestine and most of Latin America are in a far worse state than the US.

He didn't criticise their politics.

Have you not learned yet that he’s petty? He’s often criticised for things that have nothing to do with politics and he does the same.

He criticised their race.

He didn’t criticise their race, he was criticising the countries he claimed they originally claim from.

Most of those women are from America.And he's made racist statements in the past as well.He called a senator " pocahontas"

He called Elizabeth Warren ‘Pocahontas’ to mock her because he didn’t believe that she’s Native American, turns out he was right.

and he claimed barrack Obama wasn't born in America to discredit him.The implicit assumption being that he wasn't born in America but is from one of those African countries and hence unfit to be president.

Well the US constitution is what says people not born in the US are ‘unfit’ as you put it, to be president. Trump claimed Obama wasn’t born in America which is stupid but it’s not really racist.

Tbh it's not what he says explicitly but there is an obvious implied subtext behind it .

Well on that we disagree. I’m a little more cautious about throwing accusations of racism around.

Even if what he said wasn't racist the chants of " send her back" certainly were.And he didn't exactly stop them.He stood there smiling and basking in the attention.If you can't see what's wrong with that you might want to research a bit of European history.Paticularly the period 1930-1945.

But he wasn’t smiling and after the fact he condemned it.

If you think there’s any real comparison to be made to Germany in the 30s then it’s you who needs to read up on history. Comparing Trump to Hitler or fascists just shows how hysterical people have become.
Reply 244
Original post by Ascend
The flag molester in chief yet again showing his love for the country he's supposedly leading:

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/07/28/politics/baltimore-response-trump-tweets/index.html

Response from Baltimore's mayor:

Send him back?

Oh no, what has Trump said now? To those who don't know, Trump has said that Baltimore is a shithole and so have many other people including Bernie, who is on camera declaring the West part of the town as a cesspit. Of course that doesn't register but as soon as Trump says it... they all come out all guns blazing. It's all a vacuous and staged farce of interest to Trumpophobes only, the rest of the population have a life to live and just ignore them.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 245
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TxaBrLbpW7A

Is this the woman at th centre of the controversy? She's asked by a white woman for clear condemnation of FGM but wriggles her way out by just calling her racist and disgusting for doing so. She's a little treasure, ain't she?

Hurry if you fancy watching her in action, it may well not be available later.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by z-hog
Oh no, what has Trump said now?

Unsurprisingly, something yet again very stupid.

To those who don't know, Trump has said that Baltimore is a shithole

Correction: he targeted Elijah Cummings' district as "the Worst in the USA".

It is in fact a relatively affluent and well-educated one despite being in the "shithole" that is Baltimore.

'Using data from the “Biggest US Cities” website, Nate Silver of fivethirtyeight.com took to Twitter to point out that Cummings’s district has “above-average college education rates and home prices, along with a pretty good mix of urban and suburban areas (even some rural), and well-off, working-class and middle-class areas.”

Silver also pointed out the district is the second-wealthiest majority-black district in the country, with a $58,000 median household income, trailing Maryland’s 4th Congressional District, which includes parts of the Prince George’s and Anne Arundel counties. Cummings’ district is also the second-most-well-educated majority-black district because 37% of the residents have a bachelor’s degree or higher, trailing Georgia’s 4th District, Silver added.'

https://www.baltimoresun.com/politics/bs-md-pol-trump-baltimore-analysis-20190727-wsnwhl6so5hlhfo5uhmmiz5zfa-story.html

So yet again a petty personal attack that goes facts.
Original post by z-hog

Is this the woman at th centre of the controversy? She's asked by a white woman for clear condemnation of FGM but wriggles her way out by just calling her racist and disgusting for doing so. She's a little treasure, ain't she?

No need to hurry there, it's been on the mainstream news radar and CNN's video will still be up. No one is out to silence you here. In fact, I made a thread about this topic:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6051822
Reply 248
Original post by Ascend
So yet again a petty personal attack that goes facts.

And racist too, you forgot to put that one in. Unless you don't think this is about race?
Original post by z-hog

What's ironic about this is that Omar's identity politics with regards to Islam is mirrored beautiful in your far-right Trumpism identitarianism. Both sets of apologists wriggle their way out of addressing criticism and go on crying either Islamophobia or Trumpophobia (a term you seem obsessed with using).
Original post by z-hog
And racist too, you forgot to put that one in. Unless you don't think this is about race?

I didn't forget anything. I don't see anything explicitly racist about it (unlike his tweets against the congresswomen). This time it's just pure stupidity. Do you care to actually respond to my post now?
Original post by Ascend
Send him back?

The reason why I brought up Trump's attack on Cummings' district is to show the sheer hypocrisy of him attacking other citizens for their criticism of the U.S.

The country as a whole is fast becoming a shithole itself so it beggars belief that Trump would target a district that is actually relatively better off, instead of commending Cummings for his work in a challenging city like Baltimore.
Reply 252
Original post by Ascend
I didn't forget anything. I don't see anything explicitly racist about it (unlike his tweets against the congresswomen). This time it's just pure stupidity. Do you care to actually respond to my post now?

Well done for that, the media is full of accusations of racism levelled at Trump on this. I'm delighted we can share our repudiation of such intellectually bereft attempts to manipulate the population's consciousness. What post do I need to reply to?
Original post by Ascend
Yes, I have. You're just shying away from acknowledging it. There's no other explanation in him bringing up their countries of origin except for their ethnicity. Otherwise they have absolutely no affiliations to those countries.

Again, you see no explanation, that does not mean there isn't one.

Original post by Ascend
That's not just likely but it's a big part of it. The problem isn't with this. The problem is why he would bring up their ethnicity by talking about their "country of origin".

If I talk about being proud of my roots in X country and, separately, criticise the UK, it's not racist for someone to say well X country, that you're so proud of your roots in, is way worse than the UK. It's a stupid thing to say but not racist. They made their ethnicity and familial origin public subject matter long before Trump did.

Original post by Ascend
No, let's not discount Ilhan Omar because she has no political affiliations to her country of origin. His racist attack on the congresswomen is racist in exactly the same way to all of them. The "us and them" message of his tweet tries to paint them all as un-American when, in fact, they are all exactly as American as he is.

In fact, even if Omar immigrated to the U.S. as an adult, and achieved what she did, she would still be exactly as American as Trump and it would still be equally racist to tell her to go back to her country.

That's how the country works. It's founded and built on immigrant citizens who have embraced American citizenship.

So a tweet encouraging a woman born in Somalia to go to the US is racist? Whether she is or isn't American now isn't really relevant as he didn't claim she isn't. The tweet said "congresswomen who originally came from countries...", Omar 'originally came' from another country so in her case, he's not wrong.

Also, could you clear up how you define who is and isn't American then?
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Underscore__
Again, you see no explanation, that does not mean there isn't one.

If I talk about being proud of my roots in X country and, separately, criticise the UK, it's not racist for someone to say well X country, that you're so proud of your roots in, is way worse than the UK. It's a stupid thing to say but not racist. They made their ethnicity and familial origin public subject matter long before Trump did.

So a tweet encouraging a woman born in Somalia to go to the US is racist? Whether she is or isn't American now isn't really relevant as he didn't claim she isn't. The tweet said "congresswomen who originally came from countries...", Omar 'originally came' from another country so in her case, he's not wrong.

Also, could you clear up how you define who is and isn't American then?

I do see an explanation and I've laid it out.

I don't know where they may have stated being "proud of their roots in X country" (a source would be good) but even still that in no way justifies Trump's attack on their heritage in a rant about their criticism of America. It made no sense and you acknowledge that it made no sense. They are first and foremost American citizens serving the country as congresswomen with no allegiances whatsoever to any other country. Bringing up their ethnicity was not only irrelevant and stupid but also racist. And once again, stupidity is at the heart of racism - it was both stupid and racist.

Omar immigrated as a child refugee - telling her to go back to her country of origin is as nonsensical as telling the other 3 congresswomen to go back to their countries of origin.

Very simple: American = citizen of the United States of America.
Original post by z-hog
Well done for that, the media is full of accusations of racism levelled at Trump on this. I'm delighted we can share our repudiation of such intellectually bereft attempts to manipulate the population's consciousness. What post do I need to reply to?

The very post you quoted and completely dodged: Trump's glaring lie that Cummings' district is the worst in the country.
Original post by Ascend
I do see an explanation and I've laid it out.

I don't know where they may have stated being "proud of their roots in X country" (a source would be good) but even still that in no way justifies Trump's attack on their heritage in a rant about their criticism of America. It made no sense and you acknowledge that it made no sense. They are first and foremost American citizens serving the country as congresswomen with no allegiances whatsoever to any other country. Bringing up their ethnicity was not only irrelevant and stupid but also racist. And once again, stupidity is at the heart of racism - it was both stupid and racist.

Omar immigrated as a child refugee - telling her to go back to her country of origin is as nonsensical as telling the other 3 congresswomen to go back to their countries of origin.

This feels like we’re going in circles. Your best explanation of why this comment is racist seems to be ‘if he’s not racist why did he say it’ which isn’t a very strong argument at all.

Original post by Ascend
Very simple: American = citizen of the United States of America.

So you thought of Boris Johnson as American until 2016? America has birth right citizenship so in your mind a baby born while parents were on holiday in America, who never returns and doesn’t even speak English is an American. That’s obviously silly.
Original post by MathsMania
Why hasn't Trump been impeached? How is it he's in public office and allowed to say these things? Why are people STILL defending him? If Trump isn't racist, what is???

Im not sure this is actually an impeachable offense, even if it is its easier for dem's to use this as a constant attack on Trump then to try and fight a battle they don't think they can win.
Reply 258
He absolutely wouldn’t have said those things if they were white given that the entire point of the ‘send her back’ chant is that they seem to believe that the four congresswomen are not Americans... and I wonder why that is. In fact there are naturalised US citizens sitting in congress right now who happen to be from outside the US (AOC was born just down the road from Trump in fact) who are white as chalk and they haven’t been told to ‘go back where they came from’.
Original post by Underscore__
This feels like we’re going in circles. Your best explanation of why this comment is racist seems to be ‘if he’s not racist why did he say it’ which isn’t a very strong argument at all.

So you thought of Boris Johnson as American until 2016? America has birth right citizenship so in your mind a baby born while parents were on holiday in America, who never returns and doesn’t even speak English is an American. That’s obviously silly.

No, that's not my explanation. We started off by you not even acknowledging that Trump referred to their ethnicity. You now seem to acknowledge this fact and brought up the "well they are proud of their ethnicity" defence. I have responded to this latest line of argument in the previous post but you've ignored it.

Boris Johnson was a dual citizen of both the UK and America. So, yes, he was in fact American. Citizenship is the only objective standard for belonging to a territorial state. All others are not only highly subjective but are equally as "silly" in the identitarian (tribal) politics of who is or isn't a 'proper' member of certain countries/societies/communities/groups.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending