The Student Room Group

EPQ topic

Hi. I havnt started college yet but when I attended the taster day I was given summer hlwk that said I need to choose an EPQ topic and build a question around it. I hav no idea how to pick or anything ? Pls help, anyone got any advice ? 😭😭
Reply 1
Original post by Fathema29
Hi. I havnt started college yet but when I attended the taster day I was given summer hlwk that said I need to choose an EPQ topic and build a question around it. I hav no idea how to pick or anything ? Pls help, anyone got any advice ? 😭😭

EPQs are amazing, because you can literally do a project on anything you’re interested in, academic or not!! I’d recommend thinking about answering the following questions first:

Do you have any interests, academically or outside of school?
Do you know what you want to do after college/sixth form?
Are you intrigued by any debate or topics you’ve heard?

Try and start off with a broad topic, for example ‘morals.’ From that, stem off some different ideas such as religious morals, criminal morals, morals within the law, etc. Look into some of these a bit and see if there are any contradicting views/new studies or just if anything intrigues you. Carrying on with this example, you might decide on the morals involved with the death penalty.

Once you’ve found something within one of these that you think you could do a substantial bit of research on, then you need to try and list as many different questions as possible.
Is the death penalty ever justified?
Are there any patterns within the types of people who support the death penalty?
Is the death penalty economically viable?
to name a few

Something that has contradicting opinions or an argument to it is always a good idea to help get top marks, such as the death penalty.

If you know you want to go to university and know what you want to study, it’s a good idea to choose a topic that’s related as it’ll demonstrate your passion and strengthen your application. Just make sure you’re genuinely interested in whatever it is you choose to do, and don’t stress about getting the final question straight away!! Mind mapping ideas is a good way to start and if you follow this process through, you should get to some good questions you can explore. I’m halfway through my own EPQ and don’t yet have my final title!! If you have any more questions about it, I’m happy to help where I can :smile:
Dreams?
Effect of _____ on the human brain?
How does _____ affect a child’s education?
It depends on what ur interests are and what u are planning to do for the future?
Just a few suggestions anyway
Reply 4
Thnaks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending