The Student Room Group

Is clinical psychology good?

Hi, I have always been interested in psychology especially the clinical side of it. But a lot of people I know have been advising me to not pursue this career as they say you most likely not going to get a job or it’s low pay.

I am worried since I am starting university hopefully this September and I love psychology but I am beginning to feel doubtful.

Any advise?
A few ppl I knew studied it. From what I heard they didn’t stand a chance in the world
I'm a psych major and I gave up chasing clinical psychology long ago. It's ironically not worth your mental health.
that’s a shame cos all the folk going to uni this year chasing a dream that they will never achieve with money that don’t have
Original post by steamed-hams
that’s a shame cos all the folk going to uni this year chasing a dream that they will never achieve with money that don’t have

Not really since most people studying Psychology at uni don't want to work as Psychologists, they just enjoy the subject and go into a range of careers afterwards like Human Resources or Marketing
Original post by harrysbar
Not really since most people studying Psychology at uni don't want to work as Psychologists, they just enjoy the subject and go into a range of careers afterwards like Human Resources or Marketing

is that really true though that most don't want to become a psychologist or similar? or it more of an excuse when they realise they won't make it - 'oh i studied it because i enjoyed it'
Original post by steamed-hams
is that really true though that most don't want to become a psychologist or similar? or it more of an excuse when they realise they won't make it - 'oh i studied it because i enjoyed it'

My daughter studied Psychology at Uni and she never wanted to be a Psychologist. Of all the people she knew on her course, only one girl was aiming to become a Clinical Psychologist and that girl was well aware how competitive it was - she was one of the few to be really focussed on getting a First for that reason. Also, lots of people on TSR who are considering Psychology as a degree ask what sort of jobs you can do with it, so they do not seem to be assuming that they will become Psychologists.
Reply 7
I want to be a psychologist and I'm starting my degree this year. I wouldn't go for a clinical psychology degree because I know that I may struggle to get a job in clinical psychology, so I'm keeping my options open by doing psychology and not clinical psychology. If you are doing an accredited psychology degree you will have a lot more options when you move onto a masters.
(edited 4 years ago)
I know of a therapist who earns £90 a hour, the career aspects are not all that bad, depends what you do with it.
Original post by harrysbar
My daughter studied Psychology at Uni and she never wanted to be a Psychologist. Of all the people she knew on her course, only one girl was aiming to become a Clinical Psychologist and that girl was well aware how competitive it was - she was one of the few to be really focussed on getting a First for that reason. Also, lots of people on TSR who are considering Psychology as a degree ask what sort of jobs you can do with it, so they do not seem to be assuming that they will become Psychologists.

I think vastly more people want to do clinical than you think. The sheer bias towards clinical on this and other forums speaks volumes (quite a lot of people also want to do forensic, but that's still for a lot of people being a forensic psychologist).

At a local uni there are fights to get onto 'clinical' modules. 80% of students want to do 'clinical' modules. Only 20% get on them. That doesn't mean that everyone wants to be a clinical psychologist of course. You get into weird semantic arguments. However the % of people who want to do clinical psychology or have an inclination is extremely substantial. Some wanted it and change their minds during their degree (I've met them). At the less clinically focused other uni, you still meet a large number of people who want to get onto, you've guessed it...

Also people asking what jobs are available is to me often saying they realise they may not become Psychologists. If you ask a lot of them would they want to be a clinical psychologist if they felt they had a sporting chance I bet they'd say yes ideally.
Original post by Student200112
I am worried since I am starting university hopefully this September and I love psychology but I am beginning to feel doubtful.

Any advise?

Forget about clinical psychology in the sense you mean it.

Focus on looking after yourself, on studying, on part time jobs, on volunteering and experiences. Broaden all of this and it will help, it will give you more skills for whatever you go into and if in your 3rd year you are clinically inclined then focus on the sort of role you'd like after university e.g. PWP or support worker and focus on that. Do not focus on the clinical doctorate.

You can obsess over it for 3/4 years like so many undergraduates do and be an unhappier person. Do not listen to the crackpots who go on about getting onto doctorates aged 21 and show off their extensive CV (you will have a few people on your course who fit this mould).

Chances are you will come out with a 'high' 2.1, that this will mean you are just as likely to get on a doctorate as anyone else in the sense that experience is much more important.
Reply 11
I have just gained a First for my BSc Psychology degree and am starting an MSc in September. My plan is to apply for a ClinPsyD programme. Yes, it is competitive, but I worked my butt off to get a first, I've taken 2 NHS jobs as a mental health support worker and crisis worker to gain experience, I volunteered as a research assistant in a psychology department of a university and I'm training as a counsellor.

I love what I do. I love psychology and I want to be a clinical psychologist. I'll keep working hard until I do it. I'm 30 now and have just finished my BSc. Finally decided what I wanted to do and I'm going for it!

Quick Reply

Latest