The Student Room Group

Literature Review EPQ compulsory?

Hello! I really need help as my supervisor doesn't reply to my emails for the past month and I need to finish this in 2 weeks!!!

I am doing an Economics topic for my EPQ and I am wondering whether a literature review is compulsory.

My topic is "The Korean Financial Crisis" and I will have 2 sections. Section 1 will look at the most significant causes of the crisis and I will evaluate how much each cause impacted in causing the crisis and also talk about whether it was or wasn't preventable. Section 2, I will talk about the responses to the crisis in relation to whether each response was successful and whether it was ethical and worth it.

The thing is, in most literature reviews, they talk about reliability of sources but mainly focus on comparing each source by dividing up the sources you have with similar context and then you demonstrate the debated contexts. But in my case, despite the fact I am evaluating causes and responses, all my 40 sources I have do not have drastic contrasting opinions significant enough to mention. I feel like my topic isn't a debate style like most EPQ topics of having "for and against" then taking one side, but mine is rather like a report style evaluation essay.

I already have a source analysis table document whether I summarize, evaluate for reliability/credibility for each of the sources I read. Can I just submit this table document desperately (or add it to the appendix or whatever) instead of the literature review? I need your help guys.

IF ITS COMPULSORY TO DO a literature review:
Q1) What is the format of the literature review? I know there is a table format and the traditional paragraph format but how I do approach these and what's recommended?
Q2) Also, what am I supposed to actually write about in the literature review?
Q3) Does the literature review count in the word count of 5000 words??

A detailed answer would be very much appreciate
(edited 4 years ago)
Pages 27-30 of the specification contains all the guidance;
https://qualifications.pearson.com/content/dam/pdf/Project-Qualification/Level-3/2010/Specification/Project-Specification-Level-3.pdf

However, it is strange that you have two weeks from now as the deadline for submission to Pearson is 15th May.
Original post by bamtutor
Pages 27-30 of the specification contains all the guidance;
https://qualifications.pearson.com/content/dam/pdf/Project-Qualification/Level-3/2010/Specification/Project-Specification-Level-3.pdf

However, it is strange that you have two weeks from now as the deadline for submission to Pearson is 15th May.

Im doing AQA. Deadline for my school to write it is till early September but I will be very busy with other things so I have to finish in 2 weeks. The link you sent don't really say about how compulsory the literature review is.
Reply 3
I’ve already given you an answer to this. I don’t know why you keep asking.

The literature review is optional. You can use the template with columns: Source, (Brief) Content Summary, Critical analysis. That’s it. If you do this correctly, doing any extra won’t get you any extra marks. It’s not included in the word count.

Yes. Once again, you can submit the source analysis table document separately. You can also add it to your literature review. It doesn’t affect your mark. Please in the future listen to the advice and get on with your project :smile: you have a lot to do in regards to research and you’re spending too much time on optional evidence that doesn’t add that many marks anyway. Best of luck
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by timif1

The literature review is optional. You can use the template with columns: Source, (Brief) Content Summary, Critical analysis. That’s it. Doing anymore won’t get you any extra marks. It’s not included in the word count.

Yes. Once again, you can submit the source analysis table document separately. You can also add it to your literature review. It doesn’t affect your mark. Please in the future listen to the advice and get on with your project :smile: you have a lot to do in regards to research and you’re spending too much time on optional evidence that doesn’t add that many marks anyway. Best of luck

Well the thing is that so many people are saying so many different things. People are telling me ots compulsory. Some tell me that the literature review should be like half of my essay. Some people tell me it counts in the word count. My head is basically exploding.

can you please once again tell me the difference between the literature review table and the source analysis table? because you wrote that I can use the template with columns on tje litersture review but you also said I can submit the source analysis table. What is the differnce in term of context in both? It will really be my last question. Sorry. I know it seems really wierd asking several times but in a situation where I have 2 weeks, my supervisor is on vacation, people are answering different things, it really makes you go crazy.
Original post by seongyun
Hello! I really need help as my supervisor doesn't reply to my emails for the past month and I need to finish this in 2 weeks!!!

I am doing an Economics topic for my EPQ and I am wondering whether a literature review is compulsory.

My topic is "The Korean Financial Crisis" and I will have 2 sections. Section 1 will look at the most significant causes of the crisis and I will evaluate how much each cause impacted in causing the crisis and also talk about whether it was or wasn't preventable. Section 2, I will talk about the responses to the crisis in relation to whether each response was successful and whether it was ethical and worth it.

The thing is, in most literature reviews, they talk about reliability of sources but mainly focus on comparing each source by dividing up the sources you have with similar context and then you demonstrate the debated contexts. But in my case, despite the fact I am evaluating causes and responses, all my 40 sources I have do not have drastic contrasting opinions significant enough to mention. I feel like my topic isn't a debate style like most EPQ topics of having "for and against" then taking one side, but mine is rather like a report style evaluation essay.

I already have a source analysis table document whether I summarize, evaluate for reliability/credibility for each of the sources I read. Can I just submit this table document desperately (or add it to the appendix or whatever) instead of the literature review? I need your help guys.

IF ITS COMPULSORY TO DO a literature review:
Q1) What is the format of the literature review? I know there is a table format and the traditional paragraph format but how I do approach these and what's recommended?
Q2) Also, what am I supposed to actually write about in the literature review?
Q3) Does the literature review count in the word count of 5000 words??

A detailed answer would be very much appreciate

Ive no idea on the requirements for EPQ or how grading etc works.

But any serious research requires a good understanding of the current state of the art of the sector and detailed knowledge platform.

Format: this very much depends on the research but just google examples, most lit reviews are only about 2000 words.

Just use webofknowledge, sciencedirect, google scholar to find good literature on your subject.
Original post by timif1

The literature review is optional. You can use the template with columns: Source, (Brief) Content Summary, Critical analysis. That’s it. If you do this correctly, doing any extra won’t get you any extra marks. It’s not included in the word count.

Because as you mentioned in the previous post, the literature review columns are: Source name and type, Brief Content Summary and Critical Analysis (which is assessing the credibility/reliability as well as how it answers/contributes to my title/topic.

But, the source analysis table I have for all my sources has the same columns: Source, Summary, Evaluation of credibility and contribution to my work.

Its basically the same thing right? And I submit it in a separate document or in the appendix.
Reply 7
Because as you mentioned in the previous post, the literature review columns are: Source name and type, Brief Content Summary and Critical Analysis (which is assessing the credibility/reliability as well as how it answers/contributes to my title/topic.

But, the source analysis table I have for all my sources has the same columns: Source, Summary, Evaluation of credibility and contribution to my work.

Its basically the same thing right? And I submit it in a separate document or in the appendix.

If the source analysis table is the same thing as the literature review in terms of columns then you don’t *have* to submit it. Whether you submit it or not *will not* make a difference to your mark, trust me. This is because they’re pretty much the same thing, and evidence submitted is literally just evidence. Any mental thought processes and scaffolding/planning you’ve done can be submitted and you can therefore submit the source analysis table and literature review as they do this. You can submit it in a separate doc or the appendix but I highly suggest separate doc because at the end it’s easier to organise everything when it’s separate.

*its not compulsory, but the literature review is suggested for those who want to obtain higher marks*

I didn’t even do a source analysis table. But like I said in the other post, the more evidence the better. If you submit a source analysis table and it’s the same as the literature review *it doesn’t matter*. I think it’s best that you don’t do a source analysis table at all and just stick with literature review and make everything else of your project good.

Remember that this is only a *small* proportion of your marks and you’re spending a lot of time on it when you should be focusing on research and your log pages. If you do a *very good* literature review you can still get full marks and you don’t even need a source analysis table.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by timif1
If the source analysis table is the same thing as the literature review in terms of columns then you don’t *have* to submit it. Whether you submit it or not *will not* make a difference to your mark, trust me. This is because they’re pretty much the same thing, and evidence submitted is literally just evidence. Any mental thought processes and scaffolding/planning you’ve done can be submitted and you can therefore submit the source analysis table and literature review as they do this. You can submit it in a separate doc or the appendix but I highly suggest separate doc because at the end it’s easier to organise everything when it’s separate.

*its not compulsory, but the literature review is suggested for those who want to obtain higher marks*

I didn’t even do a source analysis table. But like I said in the other post, the more evidence the better. If you submit a source analysis table and it’s the same as the literature review *it doesn’t matter*. I think it’s best that you don’t do a source analysis table at all and just stick with literature review and make everything else of your project good.

Remember that this is only a *small* proportion of your marks and you’re spending a lot of time on it when you should be focusing on research and your log pages. If you do a *very good* literature review you can still get full marks and you don’t even need a source analysis table.

In your replies, you always separate the term literature review and source analysis table. What is the difference between those in your thought? I wanna hear it then add the differences in the source analysis table and integrate it to the literature review table.

As you suggested, I will do just a literature review table in a separate document to submit but I just wanna make sure I have everything necessary for the literature review so please tell me the difference of a source analysis table in terms of context so I can add that to my literature review.
When i did my EPQ my supervisor gave me this rough structure for my dissertation:
Abstract/summary: 200 words
Introduction: 800 words
Research review: 1800 words
Discussion: 2700 words
Conclusion: 500 words

I'd say the research review (literary review) is necessary
Reply 10
In your replies, you always separate the term literature review and source analysis table. What is the difference between those in your thought? I wanna hear it then add the differences in the source analysis table and integrate it to the literature review table.

As you suggested, I will do just a literature review table in a separate document to submit but I just wanna make sure I have everything necessary for the literature review so please tell me the difference of a source analysis table in terms of context so I can add that to my literature review.

As far as I know, a source analysis table (in the context of an EPQ), is just a literature review without the critical analysis, but with more content summary that answers questions like: How far does this source integrate with the title? How old is etc? Which is basically the same as a literature review in that sense (but not really the same?)

If I were to give you my best advice, I would say do a literature review only and do it really well and detailed content, detailed analysis etc
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by timif1
As far as I know, a source analysis table (in the context of an EPQ), is just a literature review without the critical analysis, but with more content summary that answers questions like: How far does this source integrate with the title? How old is etc? Which is basically the same as a literature review in that sense (but not really the same?)

If I were to give you my best advice, I would say do a literature review only and do it really well and detailed content, detailed analysis etc

What do you mean by critical analysis?
You told me "Generally: Assessing the credibility and reliability of the source, it's strengths and weaknesses. With respect to the EPQ: Additionally assessing it's significance with respect to answering your question/title and supporting your essay/artefact"

But the source analysis table is basically critical analysis following your definition as we talk about reliability, usefulness, significance. What do you mean by "more Content Summary" in term of the source analysis?

If I were to integrate the columns for literature review and the source analysis table, what would be all the columns necessary? I think this would be a easier way of approaching it.
Original post by Mermaidqueen
When i did my EPQ my supervisor gave me this rough structure for my dissertation:
Abstract/summary: 200 words
Introduction: 800 words
Research review: 1800 words
Discussion: 2700 words
Conclusion: 500 words

I'd say the research review (literary review) is necessary

and is it counted in the word count??

@timif1 this is what confuses me. People saying different things
Reply 13
What do you mean by critical analysis?
You told me "Generally: Assessing the credibility and reliability of the source, it's strengths and weaknesses. With respect to the EPQ: Additionally assessing it's significance with respect to answering your question/title and supporting your essay/artefact"

But the source analysis table is basically critical analysis following your definition as we talk about reliability, usefulness, significance. What do you mean by "more Content Summary" in term of the source analysis?

If I were to integrate the columns for literature review and the source analysis table, what would be all the columns necessary? I think this would be a easier way of approaching it.

Remember I said a literature review has a *brief* content summary. Source analysis will generally have more and answers some questions to do with the EPQ. Don’t worry about this though, you don’t need anymore additional columns to add or integrate. All you need to do is expand the detail on the content summary. The columns necessary are:
- the source (in harvard referencing style, I recommend - including the date accessed)
- content summary (which can be detailed)
- critical analysis - which is what I defined earlier

If you do that in detail and correctly, given that everything else (essay and log pages etc) are to a sufficient standard, no reason to say you can’t get full marks. The literature review is optional evidence and its not included in the word count (because its *optional*). And if you look at the brief for the EPQ it probably mentions something like *5000 word essay*, which obviously implies the literature review is not included in the word count.

To answer the other mention - it’s not included in the word count, and even if it is, it does not matter because you can still go over the 5k. One of my friends did just under 10k with the essay alone. A lot of people in my class went over 5k with the essay alone. You’re probably going to go over 5k in yours seeing as you’re going for top grades and the content is deep.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by timif1
Remember I said a literature review has a *brief* content summary. Source analysis will generally have more and answers some questions to do with the EPQ. Don’t worry about this though, you don’t need anymore additional columns to add or integrate. All you need to do is expand the detail on the content summary. The columns necessary are:
- the source (in harvard referencing style, I recommend - including the date accessed)
- content summary (which can be detailed)
- critical analysis - which is what I defined earlier

If you do that in detail and correctly, given that everything else (essay and log pages etc) are to a sufficient standard, no reason to say you can’t get full marks. The literature review is optional evidence and its not included in the word count (because its *optional*). And if you look at the brief for the EPQ it probably mentions something like *5000 word essay*, which obviously implies the literature review is not included in the word count.

To answer the other mention - it’s not included in the word count, and even if it is, it does not matter because you can still go over the 5k. One of my friends did just under 10k with the essay alone. A lot of people in my class went over 5k with the essay alone. You’re probably going to go over 5k in yours seeing as you’re going for top grades and the content is deep.

Thanks a lot. I think I will avoid coming to The Student Room forum because it makes me ask more questions over and over again. Thanks so much for your help! I will update you if I get a good mark (because it will be thanks to you :smile:).

OH I actually do questions about the production log (I'm doing AQA btw). For the Mid project review, are we supposed to fill it in after we finish our research or when we are half way with our essay?

Do you have any recommendations on important points to write for the Planning Review, Mid-project and Project planning review for highest marks? The question on each review section is very very vague and I'm not sure how to please the examiner.
Reply 15
Thanks a lot. I think I will avoid coming to The Student Room forum because it makes me ask more questions over and over again. Thanks so much for your help! I will update you if I get a good mark (because it will be thanks to you :smile:).

OH I actually do questions about the production log (I'm doing AQA btw). For the Mid project review, are we supposed to fill it in after we finish our research or when we are half way with our essay?

Do you have any recommendations on important points to write for the Planning Review, Mid-project and Project planning review for highest marks? The question on each review section is very very vague and I'm not sure how to please the examiner.

Tbh your supervisor should be explaining stuff like this...PM me your email and I’ll email you the guidance for all the log pages
(edited 4 years ago)
Hi, I know this is a year old but can I ask what you ended up doing and how successful that was. I am kind of in the same situation where my supervisor just sprung it on me without any prior knowledge of it.
Original post by maddis0nw
Hi, I know this is a year old but can I ask what you ended up doing and how successful that was. I am kind of in the same situation where my supervisor just sprung it on me without any prior knowledge of it.

Hi! Best to make your own thread for this - at the top of the screen there should be a ‘start new discussion’ button :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending