The Student Room Group

Pgce 2020/21 english coleraine

Hi!Next June I will have completed my degree in English therefore this year I have been considering applying for the PGCE post primary at UU Colerraine. Can anyone give me any tips or pointers on interviews?
Reply 1
what Age group?
Reply 2
Original post by azhal
what Age group?

11 to 16? Secondary school
Reply 3
Hi, I have got into Coleraine this year to do my PGCE in HE after 3 attempts. Places are limited and it is very competitive but it can be done. Sell yourself at interview and get as much experience as you can before your interview.
Reply 4
Original post by E107
Hi, I have got into Coleraine this year to do my PGCE in HE after 3 attempts. Places are limited and it is very competitive but it can be done. Sell yourself at interview and get as much experience as you can before your interview.

Congratulations!! Thank you very much for your help and response.
Has anyone else applied for the English PGCE at Coleraine and have an interview coming up? Extremely nervous but just plan to give it my all! 😬
Hi @CIRH97

Your interview is a chance to explain in person your key selling points as a candidate for Teacher Training. Providers set the tasks for the day these can vary depending on where you apply. Overall, interviewers will want to know that you have thought about their course and what attracts you to that course, look carefully through all their course information and their Ofsted report. Interviewers will ask you why you want to teach and the qualities and skills you have that will help make you a successful teacher, they could ask about elements of your personal statement. They may ask about aspects of recent education policy. But mostly they will want to assure themselves that you are enthusiastic and that you know why you are applying and that you have a realistic view of the teacher’s role; your experience in schools will be an important element of this discussion. Be sure you are familiar with the National Curriculum and the underpinning philosophy. If you have done a presentation, they may ask you to reflect critically on it e.g. why you chose a particular approach, did it go well?

Typical questions
1. Why do you want to be a teacher?
2. Why this age group and subject?
3. Tell us about what you have observed and noted in schools?
4. How would you go about trying to include different methods of teaching and learning in your lessons?

Hope this helps if you need further information you can get help from going to Getintoteaching website or calling 0800 389 2500 and registering for an adviser who can talk you through the application and interview process some more.
Best wishes Olivia :smile:
Has anyone heard anything back from the University??
Reply 8
Original post by Engstudent8
Has anyone heard anything back from the University??

Hey! :smile: I got an email today offering me a place.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending