The Student Room Group

20 people killed in mass shooting in El Paso, Texas

Scroll to see replies

I see
Land of the free they say, too free in my opinion if people can go around with guns and kill
Original post by Bang Outta Order
Lmfao "political atmosphere"

Left wingers certainly do a good job of exposing their blissfully ignorant privilege when they keep blaming racism on Trump as if it didn't exist before his presidency. :hahaha:

I know it helps you feel better, but that's not what anybody's saying.

Racism has always existed in the US, but what's changed recently is how open people feel able to be about it. The frequency with which people are outspokenly prejudiced in the US has increased noticeably in the last couple of years.

To suggest that that isn't related to the current political climate and the carefully cultivated rifts is cute, but without evidence.
(edited 4 years ago)
Look at the problems we have in this country with stopping the disqualified and the unfit from driving. In the USA the ownership of guns is on the same order of magnitude. The number of shotgun certificates held in the UK varies between 550,000 and 600,000. I would doubt there are many people holding a firearms certificate for a rifle who don't hold a shotgun certificate. That is about 1 in 100 of the population. Between 1 in 4 and 1 in 3 Americans own guns but almost half of American households have guns in them.
Original post by nulli tertius
Look at the problems we have in this country with stopping the disqualified and the unfit from driving.

If it was causing 30-40,000 deaths a year you'd guarantee they'd do something about it.
Original post by DR.DOOM
because our education is far more superior to theirs.

May we assume that you were educated in the U.S.?
Original post by Catholic_
When Michael Xavier Johnson killed 5 cops nobody called it Black Supremacy or Terrorism - I wonder why? probably cause he's not the right colour to be called racist.

No worries - Muslim Arab terrorists are killing many more thousands of people worldwide. Maybe you should talk about that :smile:

I wonder if this was a Muslim if you would have had a similar view....probably not, it's how people like you work - attack the weak, attack those who society says is socially acceptable, attacks those who have no social or political barriers around them....

Can I ask what you are trying to achieve by posting these pathetic things? Just because there are other terrorists does not mean we ignore other terrorists for them. If it was a Muslim, no doubt it will be labelled a terrorist attack the minute the MSM learn it
Original post by Drewski
I know it helps you feel better about your stupidity, but that's not what anybody's saying.

Racism has always existed in the US, but what's changed recently is how open people feel able to be about it. The frequency with which people are outspokenly prejudiced in the US has increased noticeably in the last couple of years.

To suggest that that isn't related to the current political climate and the carefully cultivated rifts is cute, but without evidence.

..I know you have to call me names to feel like a big man when we all know you're small but let's move on from that.

Everything you've written is bull ****. People are just as open, it was actually worse with Obama. Several black people were killed by police under Obama. Exhibit a, Trayvon Martin??? Not happened under trump.
(edited 4 years ago)
I agree; gun ownership in the US should be made a lot stricter

Original post by nulli tertius
Look at the problems we have in this country with stopping the disqualified and the unfit from driving. In the USA the ownership of guns is on the same order of magnitude. The number of shotgun certificates held in the UK varies between 550,000 and 600,000. I would doubt there are many people holding a firearms certificate for a rifle who don't hold a shotgun certificate. That is about 1 in 100 of the population. Between 1 in 4 and 1 in 3 Americans own guns but almost half of American households have guns in them.
..I know you have to call me names to feel like a big man when we all know you're small but let's move on from that.

Everything you've written is bull ****. People are just as open, it was actually worse with Obama. Several black people were killed by police under Obama. Exhibit a, Trayvon Martin??? Not happened under trump.

Not trying to prove anything, it's just funny. And if you actually read, I wasn't calling you names, just labelling your actions. The fact you didn't get that rather proves my point...

They're not. You're only talking about the extremes, when people are being killed. You're missing the 'minor' ones, where people are being arrested for being outside their house just because they're the wrong colour. Where people are being chased away from parks because they're the wrong colour.

The police are a whole other issue in the States - such is the great state they're in - what I'm talking about are instances where the general public are harassing one another. Sure, the mindset has always been there, but those instances of it actually happening, of people acting on it, are increasing.

You've got to ask why.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Wooord
What was going through his mind for him to kill 20 innocent people :frown:( disgusting

White supremacism/anti-Latino bigotry as per this Daily Mail article (I would use a more neutral source that isn't as strongly opposed by a proportion of TSR, but the Daily Mail seem to have the nost informative coverage) https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7319493/El-Paso-Walmart-shooter-Patrick-Crusius-described-short-tempered-loner-bullied-high-school.html.

I am wholly unsurprised that he seems to have been a pretty moderate (for a Trump supporter) Republican until joining the cesspit that is 8chan. The problem with sites such as 8chan, r/The_Donald etc is that banning them goes against free speech, but not banning them means that more people get radicalised. Answers on a postcard if you have a solution to this conundrum.
Original post by Drewski
If it was causing 30-40,000 deaths a year you'd guarantee they'd do something about it.

Are you sure? Between 1930 and 1970 we tolerated 7,000 deaths on the roads each year. It is now less than 1800.
Original post by Drewski
Not trying to prove anything, it's just funny. And if you actually read, I wasn't calling you names, just labelling your actions. The fact you didn't get that rather proves my point...

They're not. You're only talking about the extremes, when people are being killed. You're missing the 'minor' ones, where people are being arrested for being outside their house just because they're the wrong colour. Where people are being chased away from parks because they're the wrong colour.

The police are a whole other issue in the States - such is the great state they're in - what I'm talking about are instances where the general public are harassing one another. Sure, the mindset has always been there, but those instances of it actually happening, of people acting on it, are increasing.

You've got to ask why.

Lol this is too funny. You're acting like you haven't heard of the Jim crow era. And being arrested outside for standing certainly is an extreme as well! Also, detained isn't the same as arrested. Many of these stories, people were detained which is stopped and questioned ONLY.

What do I have to ask myself? You know what you should ask yourself? "Why do I pretend to care about inequality? It's not like I ever did before! But suddenly i want to follow the trend of self righteously whinging in vain from my laptop for social acceptance."
*being a hard man
@Fullofsurprises don't hide behind Drewski.

As I said: why do you think racism and inequality is increasing after Trump's presidency? I mean seriously it was pretty bad during Obama! All those shootings, riots, marches, assassination attempts, deportations, police harassment, the Tea Party?????

Or Bush's presidency? Anti Islam, hurricane Katrina, the drop out rate of coloured people??

Or Clinton's presidency? The increase of people of colour, gays, and youth dying from violence, crack, and AIDS??? No?? Didn't care about that did you??
@Fullofsurprises don't hide behind Drewski.

If she actually did that it would be the first instance of her living up to her name :rofl:

Stop getting yourself worked up.

I mean, it's highly entertaining to read, but this is why you keep having confrontations at work and get fired.
Original post by Trotsky's Iceaxe
Stop getting yourself worked up.

I mean, it's highly entertaining to read, but this is why you keep having confrontations at work and get fired.

🔥🔥
Funny how these people think they will actually do anything by killing 20 people and writing a laughable manifesto, things on this scale and severity will do nothing good to change the world. It just goes to show you how deluded these people are.
Original post by Fullofsurprises
Right wing extremism. He wrote an immigrant-bashing tract, then drove 900 miles to a Mexican border town and ran amok with an automatic rifle in a mall. Trump then acts like it's nothing to do with the political atmosphere he whips up every day.

Well tbh the most visable of each side is the extreme but if anything acts like this are the product of both sides rhetoric having dangerous effects not one.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending