The Student Room Group

Cut off from all support

Scroll to see replies

Original post by HGS345
Is it possible for you to attend these meetings to get onto the desired programme? If it is then you should probably attend, as if you're at a real low then you should do whatever you can to get onto these programmes.

Please don't feel like the doctors don't care. As others have mentioned, the services are severely financially restricted, especially with all the BREXIT rubbish happening, so they have to make these decisions that have a financial aspect to them, but only because they have to, not because they want to.

Don't feel like it's the end of the line, there are people who've lost all hope but have come out of it stronger. You have to keep fighting.

no, it's not even possible anymore.
of course doctors don't care. if they truly cared about every patient they had, they wouldn't be able to do their jobs. they might go into their jobs hoping to make a difference and improve peoples lives but after a while they just become slaves to the system.
it IS the end of the line, objectively speaking. even my psychiatrist said so.
Reply 21
Original post by Anonymous
no, it's not even possible anymore.
of course doctors don't care. if they truly cared about every patient they had, they wouldn't be able to do their jobs. they might go into their jobs hoping to make a difference and improve peoples lives but after a while they just become slaves to the system.
it IS the end of the line, objectively speaking. even my psychiatrist said so.

It is possible, you've been fighting mental illness for so long as you've already mentioned, and if you'd truly given up you wouldn't be here asking for advice. You're a lot stronger than you perceive yourself to be.

Yes you might get your odd crap doctor who's been emotionally drained, but most doctors do care about their patients, otherwise they wouldn't put themselves through such grueling hours to do their job. Regardless, you say objectively, but life is subjective, so don't let your hopes be cut off by the obejctive analysis of your psychiatrist. You need to have faith in yourself
Original post by HGS345
It is possible, you've been fighting mental illness for so long as you've already mentioned, and if you'd truly given up you wouldn't be here asking for advice. You're a lot stronger than you perceive yourself to be.

Yes you might get your odd crap doctor who's been emotionally drained, but most doctors do care about their patients, otherwise they wouldn't put themselves through such grueling hours to do their job. Regardless, you say objectively, but life is subjective, so don't let your hopes be cut off by the obejctive analysis of your psychiatrist. You need to have faith in yourself

You asked if it was possible to get back on the programme, i told you it was not. Even if it was, i wouldn't go back to that prison they call a therapeutic community.
It's not a fight. It's a very slow, steady defeat. The longer people are mentally ill, the harder it is to recover. Some don't recover at all.
All doctors are emotionally drained. And consultants can choose the hours they work and earn a lot of money, they're not hospital doctors.
Reply 23
You asked if it was possible to get back on the programme, i told you it was not. Even if it was, i wouldn't go back to that prison they call a therapeutic community.
It's not a fight. It's a very slow, steady defeat. The longer people are mentally ill, the harder it is to recover. Some don't recover at all.
All doctors are emotionally drained. And consultants can choose the hours they work and earn a lot of money, they're not hospital doctors.

You know there's people who will be going through what you're going through, and will be looking up to you to keep them going. Whether you know it or not.
Reply 24
looking up to me? what *******s. all i want is for my life to be over but i can't even say that on here. oops, looks like i just did.

I am sorry to hear that you're going through this tough ordeal, I can't imagine how difficult is must be but from the stuff I've heard, I have to give it to people you, your mind is very strong, regardless of how weak you think you are.

But I'll leave you with that. Only you can dictate where your life goes from here, and if you don't like it only you can change that.
Original post by HGS345
Too much of a coward to take yourself out, or too much of a coward to acknowledge your own strength? If your mind was as weak as you thought it was, you'd be gone by now, but you're not.

you're giving me these attributes that I don't have. Im not a hero because I have a mental illness, or several. It's not something to be glorified.
Reply 26
don't be so stupid. you're giving me these attributes that I don't have. Im not a hero because I have a mental illness, or several. It's not something to be glorified.

I wasn't glorifying anything, nor did I call you a hero. I'm simply stating the truth, which is that you have the opportunity and will to change and I (and everyone else who posted on this chat) can see that, but you're not willing to see that.

And keep the insults coming, let whatever rage you have inside out, I'm listening.
Reply 28

Okay, thanks for sharing. So let me ask, what was the goal of your initial post?
Original post by HGS345
Okay, thanks for sharing. So let me ask, what was the goal of your initial post?

i dont even know anymore. it just feels like everyone else can access the help they need except me. I'm like a second class citizen here.
I mean i asked my psychiatrist does that mean I'll be cut off from any treatment whatsoever? and he just said yes. that's all. I don't understand why he wanted to see me after I discharged from the community if he wasn't going to help me.
I mean i asked my psychiatrist does that mean I'll be cut off from any treatment whatsoever? and he just said yes. that's all. I don't understand why he wanted to see me after I discharged from the community if he wasn't going to help me.

Maybe he thought you would have a change of heart and want to continue therapy if it meant you were still getting treatment
Original post by Rawr789
Maybe he thought you would have a change of heart and want to continue therapy if it meant you were still getting treatment

he didnt make any effort to convince me to go back, not that I would have wanted him to, or offer me an alternative. so what is the point of him exactly. psychiatrists won't even suggest what they think you need anymore, they just leave you to your own devices.
Reply 33
he didnt make any effort to convince me to go back, not that I would have wanted him to, or offer me an alternative. so what is the point of him exactly. psychiatrists won't even suggest what they think you need anymore, they just leave you to your own devices.

Well you could start by going to meet him and see what it is he wants to offer. I'd recommend you tell him how you're feeling, i.e. 'second class citizen' and how it has affected you.

And if there is anything you'd like to get off your mind, then feel free to DM me. I'm no expert on psychology, but I am a good listener.
Original post by HGS345
Well you could start by going to meet him and see what it is he wants to offer. I'd recommend you tell him how you're feeling, i.e. 'second class citizen' and how it has affected you.

And if there is anything you'd like to get off your mind, then feel free to DM me. I'm no expert on psychology, but I am a good listener.

he doesn't want to see me again unless i reconsider going back to the therapeutic community. it's that or nothing. so that's it.

You need to be the one who says you need support and that maybe you'd consider other therapies. You shouldn't expect him to persuade you to consider treatment, you need to show him that you want to get better. He clearly wants you to consider going back into therapy but you don't want to accept the support that's available to you.
Original post by Rawr789
You need to be the one who says you need support and that maybe you'd consider other therapies. You shouldn't expect him to persuade you to consider treatment, you need to show him that you want to get better. He clearly wants you to consider going back into therapy but you don't want to accept the support that's available to you.

I don't think so, I get mixed messages from him, on the other hand he doesn't want to see me unless I want him to refer me back to the therapeutic community, but on the other hand he doesn't think that I should do that anymore either. So where does that leave me? Nowhere. I don't know what I'm supposed to prove to him. I'm washed out and tired and I can't deal with anything anymore, but on the other hand i'm scared of having no support whatsoever. often I just don't care enough to fight for things that might have helped me. In short, I give up.
I don't think so, I get mixed messages from him, on the other hand he doesn't want to see me unless I want him to refer me back to the therapeutic community, but on the other hand he doesn't think that I should do that anymore either. So where does that leave me? Nowhere. I don't know what I'm supposed to prove to him. I'm washed out and tired and I can't deal with anything anymore, but on the other hand i'm scared of having no support whatsoever. often I just don't care enough to fight for things that might have helped me. In short, I give up.

*on one hand
Reply 38

Why don't you try going to the therapeutic community then? I get that you're tired and I appreciate it is very challenging, but you clearly still want help, so why not give it a shot, regardless of what your doctor says?
Original post by HGS345
Why don't you try going to the therapeutic community then? I get that you're tired and I appreciate it is very challenging, but you clearly still want help, so why not give it a shot, regardless of what your doctor says?

because i dont want to live in a hospital for a year where nurses control everything you do. and honestly i'm just too tired to fight tooth and nail for the *****y services they provide to a limited amount of 'worthy' people. they try to brainwash you in there.

Quick Reply

Latest