The Student Room Group

Which Oxford colleges to apply to for law?

Poll

Which Oxford college should I apply to for law? (read below first)

I'm planning on applying to Oxford to study Law. I've narrowed my options down to these colleges:

Wadham College (19%) - 4 tutors
Merton College (19%) - 3 tutors
St. Peters College (17%) - 4 tutors
University College (13%) - 3 tutors
Jesus College (16%) - 2 tutors
Keble College (15%) - 3 tutors
Oriel College (10%) - 6 tutors

The percentages are the success rate of each college for law.

The most important things (in order) for me are:
1) Success rate of getting in
2) Academic support (a.k.a. law tutors)
3) More state school students (I just don't want to feel like I come from a bad background)
4) A lively college which is fairly big but not too big. Good social life.
5) Fairly close to the centre/faculty (which all of these colleges are I think)

I know students get moved around colleges so you may say success rates aren't important but I would just like to give myself the best chance of getting in. Does the amount of tutors make a difference? Is there much separation between state and private students? What is the reputation of each college?

I looked around Wadham and it seemed nice but a bit average - as in not lively enough which made me think I wouldn't get the "proper" Oxford college experience.

Any advice or past/current experience at any of these colleges would be appreciated. Thanks.

I have another thread where I need help choosing between Universities. It would really help if you commented on that as well:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6063168
(edited 4 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Thanks that’s really helpful. Which college would you recommend ignoring state/private ratio?
Reply 2
Could somebody also say what the reputations are of any of the above colleges please.
Original post by james66
I'm planning on applying to Oxford to study Law. I've narrowed my options down to these colleges:

3) More state school students (I just don't want to feel like I come from a bad background)

I know students get moved around colleges so you may say success rates aren't important but I would just like to give myself the best chance of getting in. Does the amount of tutors make a difference? Is there much separation between state and private students? What is the reputation of each college?

I looked around Wadham and it seemed nice but a bit average - as in not lively enough which made me think I wouldn't get the "proper" Oxford college experience.

Any advice or past/current experience at any of these colleges would be appreciated. Thanks.

I have another thread where I need help choosing between Universities. It would really help if you commented on that as well:

Public school kids are not bad. Yes, there are stupid ones but a large proportion of them are normal and love everyone.
Original post by james66
Could somebody also say what the reputations are of any of the above colleges please.

I think you should choose Jesus.

Here is a link for you:

http://apply.oxfordsu.org
Reply 5
Original post by Wired_1800
I think you should choose Jesus.

Here is a link for you:

http://apply.oxfordsu.org

Thanks I'll check it out :smile: Do any of the colleges have a particular reputation.
Original post by james66
Thanks I'll check it out :smile: Do any of the colleges have a particular reputation.

From what I have heard from people:

Merton: Cleverer than Oxford standard, high-achiever
Wadham: Left-wing
Christchurch: Posh
Trinity: Rich and Posh
Balliol: Effortless superiority, clever
Oriel: Small, Traditional, Right wing
Keble: Casual and progressive
Brasenose: Quiet confidence
What do you think@Oxford Mum?
Reply 8
From what I have heard from people:

Merton: Cleverer than Oxford standard, high-achiever
Wadham: Left-wing
Christchurch: Posh
Trinity: Rich and Posh
Balliol: Effortless superiority, clever
Oriel: Small, Traditional, Right wing
Keble: Casual and progressive
Brasenose: Quiet confidence

Cheers. I think the ones which are my favourites are: Jesus (thanks for recommending), St. Peters, University & Merton
Original post by james66
Cheers. I think the ones which are my favourites are: Jesus (thanks for recommending), St. Peters, University & Merton

No worries. I wish you the very best. Make sure you prepare and relax.

I forgot to reference @Oxford Mum, which @harrysbar kindly tagged. OM knows more about Oxford.
Reply 10
No worries. I wish you the very best. Make sure you prepare and relax.

I forgot to reference @Oxford Mum, which @harrysbar kindly tagged. OM knows more about Oxford.

Thank you. Really appreciate it. What degree did you study?
Original post by james66
Thank you. Really appreciate it. What degree did you study?

Just to clarify, I don't go to Oxford, but I study Engineering.
Reply 12
Just to clarify, I don't go to Oxford, but I study Engineering.

I know it'll be different because I want to go into law but how do you perceive Birmingham, Manchester and Leeds because I'm trying to finalise my 5 university options. It doesn't matter if you don't really have an opinion on them. Just curious.
Original post by james66
I know it'll be different because I want to go into law but how do you perceive Birmingham, Manchester and Leeds because I'm trying to finalise my 5 university options. It doesn't matter if you don't really have an opinion on them. Just curious.

Hi there just thought I would add my thouhhts on Wadham. Son studied there. It is actually a very sociable college with college bops every two weeks much more than any other college. It does seem very peaceful when you walk through that front arch despite being right at the centre of Oxford and a stones throw from the Bodlian. This is great when you want to work and if you want to play just step outside the side entrance! It does have a very diverse intake and if anything the lower class you are the better! It is very woke so get your LGBGQIA+terms sorted out before you go.
It is very left wing to the point where son who is usually the most left wing person in any room felt he was a bit too far to the right at Wadham! It is fairly informal no gowns even at formals and if you want more of that then look elsewhere.
Lovely porters and fantastic tutors.Son says Merton full of nerds and no fun. Also consider where offers 3years accommodation or at least two as you are a bit out of it if not living in. Son enjoyed one year out but was glad to be back for final year.
Another plus point at Wadham is everyone pays same rent and draw lots for rooms so it is a bit less the rich kids get best rooms. Hope this helps. He did Biological Sciences.
I must say college choice is a nightmare but I would say go to the open day in Sept and walk around your choices. You definitely can pick up different vibes.
Reply 14
Thanks this was very helpful. Actually went to Wadham on the last open day and it was so pretty! Need to go back and look at more colleges though. Do you know what the reputation is of Jesus and St. Peter’s? Thanks for your help :smile:
(edited 4 years ago)
@james66
Let me put the cat amongst the pigeons right now

Have you thought about Mansfield College for law? It is in the city centre ( close to law faculty).

It is the only Oxford college I have ever stayed overnight in, so can vouch for the accommodation and the breakfast! A little out of the way of the main thoroughfares so you may have missed this little gem on open day.

The best thing for you is that it has many state school pupils ( often around 90%). The principal used to be baroness Kennedy, a famous lawyer.

I once worked with someone who had graduated from Oxford law.

She applied to Exeter college but found some of the opposition intimidating. They told her they had filled their places but would send her to Mansfield. She went there and felt much better. She spent three very happy years there.

The buildings are not 60s brutalist but it still manages to look like a typical Oxford college, despite being younger in years than many other Oxford colleges.

Check it out but phone porters lodge to check you can look round
Original post by james66

I don't have specific knowledge on these unis and their strengths in Law. To me, I would pick Manchester because I think it is a strong uni overall. It also has other features going for it including excellent nightlife, good student community, great city, vibrant campus and a well-known uni for grad prospects.
Reply 17
I will definitely give Mansfield a look then! Do u have any idea which college is better out of Jesus and St. Peter’s?
Reply 18
Thanks. This was very helpful. Struggling to decide between these for my final choice.
Original post by james66

I did Law at Brasenose, and will shamelessly plug for my old college even though it's not on your list:
1) Has one of the largest intakes of law students (10 per year)
2) Has "a particularly strong reputation for law" (and a lot of tutors)
3) Accommodation is in the city centre for all years (main site is on Radcliffe Square, annexe is next to Oxford Union). Bear in mind that although the colleges on your list are all located centrally, not all of them have accommodation for all years (eg St Peter's), and some of the annexes are quite far out (e.g. Jesus, Wadham)
4) very lively college life, slightly on the small side in terms of intake so not a huge college
5) above average % of UK state students (https://www.bnc.ox.ac.uk/downloads/admissions/2018_UCAS_Cycle_Admissions_Report.pdf)

Separation between state and private students wasn't really a thing from my experience. There was a good mix of state, private and international students in my intake, and we all got along well.

I don't think the number of tutors really makes a big difference - colleges will have teaching arrangements to cater for subjects that they themselves don't teach. For example Brasenose has an arrangement with Worcester for Jurisprudence and Criminal Law.

Of your list, I'd probably pick Merton, Keble or Oriel, mostly because their accommodation is fairly central (I think - you should double-check) and I was rather lazy!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending