The Student Room Group

Lying to my boyfriend- help needed

So my boyfriend hasn't celebrated his birthday with his friends for years. His reason for this is because his family doesn't have enough money to rent a place out and their house is too small to hold a party. His friends are always busy as well. Been dating for 3 years now and he just ends up going on a date with me for his birthday. It makes me sad so I decided, along with his friends, to throw a party for him at a friend's house. I am not attending this birthday party, due to personal reasons, but I am going to sort out his cake. Don't worry, I will be with him the day afterwards so he has a chance to celebrate with me. His brother will be driving him home so my boyfriend can drink without driving.
Problem is, it is a surprise birthday celebration so I need help with a lie. Whenever I discuss his birthday to him, he says he'll sort something out nearer to the date. It is not near his birthday yet but I feel like I should prepare a lie. I need a reason as to why I can't hang out with him on his birthday so his friends can surprise him. Any ideas?
Omg you’re an amazing girlfriend. That’ll be so fun. I hope he’ll be grateful and everything goes well for you. You could say you’re taking one of your friends (that he doesn’t know about) to the airport because she/he is traveling (?)
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
Omg you’re an amazing girlfriend. That’ll be so fun. I hope he’ll be grateful and everything goes well for you. You could say you’re taking one of your friends (that he doesn’t know about) to the airport because she/he is traveling (?)

That might be a good idea, thank you. Although the nearest airport is in another city, he knows I wouldn't drive up there since he knows I'm a little scared of driving outside of my current city. Could modify that lie and say that my family member is coming from the airport and I really want to see them though. Thanks for the idea!! :h:
That might be a good idea, thank you. Although the nearest airport is in another city, he knows I wouldn't drive up there since he knows I'm a little scared of driving outside of my current city. Could modify that lie and say that my family member is coming from the airport and I really want to see them though. Thanks for the idea!! :h:

You could say you’re taking a cab and Yhh you could definitely say that xx. Best of luck xx

Please do tell us how it goes
Why can't you just tell him the real reason you can't hang out with him? (i'm assuming there is one as you can't attend the surprise birthday?)
And then suggest celebrating it the next day as normal?
Then for getting him to his actual birthday, leave that up to the friends?
Reply 5
You could say you’re taking a cab and Yhh you could definitely say that xx. Best of luck xx

Thank you!! Will do :h:
Reply 6
Original post by AzureCeleste
Why can't you just tell him the real reason you can't hang out with him? (i'm assuming there is one as you can't attend the surprise birthday?)
And then suggest celebrating it the next day as normal?
Then for getting him to his actual birthday, leave that up to the friends?

Sorry I didn't make it clear. His surprise birthday party is on his actual birthday. Since he doesn't know about the party, he might try and organise a date with me on his actual birthday, as discussed between the both of us before I started setting the party up. I don't want to go to the surprise party since I figured I can go on the date with him the day after the party, a day after his actual birthday. If he asks me out on a date on his actual birthday, I need a reason why I cannot attend that date on his actual birthday, making him available so his brother could take him to the surprise party.
Basically, I just need a lie, saying that I am too busy to go on a date with him on his actual birthday, so his friends can push through with the party. Is that any clearer? Sorry if it doesn't make sense.
Sorry I didn't make it clear. His surprise birthday party is on his actual birthday. Since he doesn't know about the party, he might try and organise a date with me on his actual birthday, as discussed between the both of us before I started setting the party up. I don't want to go to the surprise party since I figured I can go on the date with him the day after the party, a day after his actual birthday. If he asks me out on a date on his actual birthday, I need a reason why I cannot attend that date on his actual birthday, making him available so his brother could take him to the surprise party.
Basically, I just need a lie, saying that I am too busy to go on a date with him on his actual birthday, so his friends can push through with the party. Is that any clearer? Sorry if it doesn't make sense.

Ah right makes sense
I thought you just couldn't attend it and didn't see why you couldn't just say why

Maybe you have an appointment, or a friend you haven't seen for a while is around so you want to see them?
Reply 8
Ah right makes sense
I thought you just couldn't attend it and didn't see why you couldn't just say why

Maybe you have an appointment, or a friend you haven't seen for a while is around so you want to see them?

Ahh thank you for the idea. I can see how that idea would work as well. Guess it's just choosing at this point then.
Original post by Flyingleopard5
You have to do work experience/ work trial on that day at an event's organising company (or somewhere else) The other suggestions are probably a lot better but thought I'd say good luck anyways! (-:

Awe thanks so much. Any idea is better than no idea so if I really need a solid lie, I could just use that.
Reply 9

It went well. Successfully baked a chocolate cake and everyone seemed to love it. He was really surprised that we organised him a celebration since he really wasn't expecting it. When I asked if he enjoyed it, he said it was one of his better birthdays so was glad we threw him a celebration. Thank you all for helping!!

Original post by Flyingleopard5
You have to do work experience/ work trial on that day at an event's organising company (or somewhere else) The other suggestions are probably a lot better but thought I'd say good luck anyways! (-:

Ah right makes sense

Omggg. I’m so glad it went well x. Happy late birthday to him

It went well. Successfully baked a chocolate cake and everyone seemed to love it. He was really surprised that we organised him a celebration since he really wasn't expecting it. When I asked if he enjoyed it, he said it was one of his better birthdays so was glad we threw him a celebration. Thank you all for helping!!

That’s great!!!
You're busy planning an event with a friend.
Let him plan whatever date he wants, restaurant or whatever. Secretly book that the day after as your date that way he's getting his chosen date with you and he's not suspicious.
On the day of his birthday, just say im planning tonights date dress up nice, then give him the address and say meet me here or have his brother go.

Although: why don't you just go to the party at the beginning and then leave to let him enjoy time with his friends by saying I'm off with the girls now ;p
Reply 14
Original post by CookieMonst*r
Let him plan whatever date he wants, restaurant or whatever. Secretly book that the day after as your date that way he's getting his chosen date with you and he's not suspicious.
On the day of his birthday, just say im planning tonights date dress up nice, then give him the address and say meet me here or have his brother go.

Although: why don't you just go to the party at the beginning and then leave to let him enjoy time with his friends by saying I'm off with the girls now ;p

Check thread dates before posting. You are 12 months late to the party (pun intended).

Latest

Trending

Trending