The Student Room Group

Do you regret your degree subject?

What subject did you do?

Why do you regret it? Why do you not regret it?

Is the university you went to a factor in regretting it?

What do you think you should have done instead?

Scroll to see replies

Management BSc
University of Nottingham
No, no, and no...

Though i do regret not being given the natural talent of maths.

That might have made my life a smidge easier.

Would have done Economics. But my degree has alot of the subject in it, and rather a 2:1 or first in a subject i can do, than a 2:2 i would have slaved for.
What subject did you do?
Currently doing microbiology

Currently I don't regret it as I'm enjoying it! It's interesting and will lead me onto the things I want to do in the future. I would've regretted my other degree choice of Biomed as I've since realised its not the course for me.

I had a lot of anxiety about going to the uni I do and was terrified I would regret it. People were trying to push me to go to universities ranked higher (e.g. Oxbridge/London universities) which I didn't feel comfortable doing because of distance/money/subject choice. I actually love my uni now and I'm glad I didn't listen to everyone else.

I would love to have done a Philosophy/Theology degree but I wouldn't have known what to do with it so biology seemed more practical (I love it too don't get me wrong).
Original post by yeahthatonethere
What subject did you do?
Currently doing microbiology

Currently I don't regret it as I'm enjoying it! It's interesting and will lead me onto the things I want to do in the future. I would've regretted my other degree choice of Biomed as I've since realised its not the course for me.

I had a lot of anxiety about going to the uni I do and was terrified I would regret it. People were trying to push me to go to universities ranked higher (e.g. Oxbridge/London universities) which I didn't feel comfortable doing because of distance/money/subject choice. I actually love my uni now and I'm glad I didn't listen to everyone else.

I would love to have done a Philosophy/Theology degree but I wouldn't have known what to do with it so biology seemed more practical (I love it too don't get me wrong).

I'm looking into doing a Biological Science/Biology degree! The only problem is that people don't seem very confident in the jobs afterwards. I'm aware that I'd very likely have to do further education afterwards (Masters, PhD) for a more well-payed job, but I believe that's the same for most sciences. Do you think biology degrees are underated or are they simply not very useful?

I'm glad to hear that you are enjoying your degree! What uni did you go to?
I've not even started uni yet, but will be doing Ecology and Conservation BSc come September. I absolutely love the subject, and do want my job to be in that field, but the thing is I love so many other subjects as well - languages, philosophy, film, photography, geography. Having to cut all of those out of my studies is very frustrating.
I think I'll be happy whichever of my firm or insurance I end up at as their degrees fit my interests the most. I would theoretically have liked to apply to somewhere more highly ranked, but don't want to live in London and the Oxbridge courses (NatSci or Biology) are too broad.
What subject did you do?
Geoscience

I did regret it somewhat whilst doing it. I didn't regret the subject area itself (since I had no other interests in particular) but the fact that my specific course only offered optional modules in the final year - in hindsight it might've been less stressful if I'd had more choice in what I studied.

Now that I've graduated though I don't regret it, I try to be the sort of person to focus on what's happening now and in the future rather than the past. I'm currently applying to study an MSc in a different field, still to do with the environment but not related to geology.

No. The university itself was nice, it's a shame I had terrible flatmates though.

I might've done a more geographical course instead like geology and physical geography, as I came to realise during final year that a geology job was not for me :tongue:
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Treetop321
I'm looking into doing a Biological Science/Biology degree! The only problem is that people don't seem very confident in the jobs afterwards. I'm aware that I'd very likely have to do further education afterwards (Masters, PhD) for a more well-payed job, but I believe that's the same for most sciences. Do you think biology degrees are underated or are they simply not very useful?

I'm glad to hear that you are enjoying your degree! What uni did you go to?

Any degree is useful! The skills you learn from it and the knowledge you get can applied to a multitude of places. There's generally a lot of routes you can go down, scientific or not, I've been told though I'm not focusing on jobs right now. I'm also really considering further study and I'm on an integrated masters right now so I'll cross the job bridge when I get to it ☺️

I chose Leeds University as the course was exactly what I wanted and covered everything I was interested in! Most biology/biological sciences courses are too broad for me as my interests are quite niche which ruled out a lot of unis for me too.
Original post by Kinyonga
I've not even started uni yet, but will be doing Ecology and Conservation BSc come September. I absolutely love the subject, and do want my job to be in that field, but the thing is I love so many other subjects as well - languages, philosophy, film, photography, geography. Having to cut all of those out of my studies is very frustrating.
I think I'll be happy whichever of my firm or insurance I end up at as their degrees fit my interests the most. I would theoretically have liked to apply to somewhere more highly ranked, but don't want to live in London and the Oxbridge courses (NatSci or Biology) are too broad.

Ecology is one of my favourite parts of Biology! I'm looking to do a more general Biology degree though because I would miss parts such as genetics which I also love!
What subject did you do?

Biased questions. What if the response to your overall question is no?
I studied business and finance. I found it to be good for employment but a poor course glorified with 'stats' and university prestige. If could go back I probably would have declined the offer and do an accounting apprenticeship. Perhaps read a few books on business on the side.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Anonymous
Biased questions. What if the response to your overall question is no?

Change the word regretting to not regret.
Computer Science. I had already done 2 years of a BTEC in Comp Sci in College, and for that reason, I became extremely burned out.

University (Sheffield Hallam) wasn't any reason to do with it, I just felt I was repeating things I already knew.

Changing to Media has changed my perspective. I've really enjoyed the course and what I've done.

Joshua :smile:
Original post by steamed-hams
I studied business and finance. I found it to be good for employment but a poor course glorified with 'stats' and university prestige. If could go back I probably would have declined the offer and do an accounting apprenticeship. Perhaps read a few books on business on the side.

I think apprenticeships are quite underrated, mostly due to many colleges not really selling them to students. Most colleges seem to focus on getting students students to uni and forgetting about the rest.
Original post by yeahthatonethere
Any degree is useful! The skills you learn from it and the knowledge you get can applied to a multitude of places. There's generally a lot of routes you can go down, scientific or not, I've been told though I'm not focusing on jobs right now. I'm also really considering further study and I'm on an integrated masters right now so I'll cross the job bridge when I get to it ☺️

I chose Leeds University as the course was exactly what I wanted and covered everything I was interested in! Most biology/biological sciences courses are too broad for me as my interests are quite niche which ruled out a lot of unis for me too.

I just find it quite confusing how everyone seems to discount biology degrees as useless but seem to like chemistry and physics degrees. Is biology seen as easier and less important?

I like most of the topics throughout biology so I'm definitely going to go for one of the more broad ones. Ecology and genetics are my favourite though!
I just find it quite confusing how everyone seems to discount biology degrees as useless but seem to like chemistry and physics degrees. Is biology seen as easier and less important?

I like most of the topics throughout biology so I'm definitely going to go for one of the more broad ones. Ecology and genetics are my favourite though!

The belief (as I've seen) is that a lot of people that take biology degrees don't want a job in research/science which leads it to seeming like a degree that doesn't lead to certain jobs and so people see it as useless. It's also quite a common degree though most people don't realise there are so many different branches of it! Biology is also often taken as a facilitating subject as it can be linked with subjects like psychology whereas chemistry and physics seem more niche, and to some people more sciencey.

Its good that you like the broader base, a lot of places and courses are open to you! I'm not a fan of ecology stuff but I had to do some genetics this year and it was actually pretty interesting. My interest is much more in disease hence why I do microbiology so I can learn tons about bacteria and viruses ☺️
Reply 15
What subject did you do?
Medicine

Kind of regret not considering other subjects more, I don't fancy working in the NHS for very long, it's not a great life. Now I'm looking at working in pharmaceuticals/biotech.

Not much, Liverpool is good for medicine and now I'm at Cambridge for a masters, there's not much difference.

Perhaps I should have considered natural sciences or chemistry more.
What subject did you do? - Music :musicus:

Why do you not regret it? - It's been a hugely interesting and rewarding experience so far and there wasn't really any other subject that appealed :nah:

Is the university you went to a factor in regretting it? - I went to Oxford. Was a bit of a disaster but no regrets about going there :nah:

What do you think you should have done instead? - If I had to pick another subject it would have been English Lit or Anthropology (not at Ox, mind you)

:banana: :musicus: :flute:
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
What subject did you do? - Music :musicus:

Why do you not regret it? - It's been a hugely interesting and rewarding experience so far and there wasn't really any other subject that appealed :nah:

Is the university you went to a factor in regretting it? - I went to Oxford. Was a bit of a disaster but no regrets about going there :nah:

What do you think you should have done instead? - If I had to pick another subject it would have been English Lit or Anthropology (not at Ox, mind you)

:banana: :musicus: :flute:

Glad to hear you enjoyed music 😀

May I ask why Oxford ended up being a bit of a disaster?
Glad to hear you enjoyed music 😀

May I ask why Oxford ended up being a bit of a disaster?

It's an extremely long story and probs one best not repeated in detail. Let's just say I developed mental health problems there and staff weren't that helpful :ninja:
Reply 19
What subject did you do? BA Philosophy, MA Philosophy, PhD Philosophy

Why do you regret it? Why do you not regret it? No, it has been hard work but it's been boss. Came out the other end titled, competing for jobs at heavy hitting universities and reading a couple more languages.

Is the university you went to a factor in regretting it? Naw. I could have gone elsewhere and made some practical decisions not to. god department with excellent supervisor, so yknow.

What do you think you should have done instead? If I wasn't doing this I'd probably be touring in dodgy thrash bands making even less money :laugh:
(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending