The Student Room Group

University of Sussex for Engineering

Guys, which uni would be the better choice for Mechanical Engineering out of University of Sussex, University of Surrey, UEA and Swansea University.
Or should i just save cash on tuition and go for a uni like Oxford Brookes, Coventry or Salford.
Any idea or suggestion is highly appreciated.
Thank you.
Hi @Chamith97,

I'm happy to go over what we here at Swansea can offer you in terms of a great education, but do you already have in mind what is important to you? Is it university rankings, is it employability prospects, is it the facilities and research of the university? There are lots of factors to consider, and if you highlight some things that really matter to you I'll tell you all about us! There's so much I could say that I'd like to hear your thoughts first, as I don't want to send you so much information at once that it all becomes a bit too much to process. Our Engineering department has recently moved to our Bay Campus with state-of-the-art buildings and facilities, so I could write paragraphs about how that benefits our Mechanical Engineering students alone!

With regards to cost, something you should certainly consider is the cost of living. Rent is something to consider, and Swansea is noted to be extremely affordable, as is Norwich - but I'd personally put us on top not just for the rent costs but also for the general cost of goods and services here. On top of that, depending on where you live you may also want to factor in the cost of travel between home and university, and how many times you'd plan to do that throughout the year. We've actually put together a rough guide to budgeting as a student for you to see how affordable studying in Swansea is. You may find that because of that, coming to us may be more cost effective than looking at lower-tuition universities in more expensive areas.

Like I said, I don't want to put an info dump in your notifications - please do let me know what matters to you and I'll help you work out if we're the right choice for you, and suggest other things you may wish to consider.

Jamie
Original post by Chamith97
Guys, which uni would be the better choice for Mechanical Engineering out of University of Sussex, University of Surrey, UEA and Swansea University.
Or should i just save cash on tuition and go for a uni like Oxford Brookes, Coventry or Salford.
Any idea or suggestion is highly appreciated.
Thank you.

Hi Chamith97,

What are your main priorities when considering a course? There are lots of things to consider, such as the modules on offer, whether you like the feel of the campus, position on the league tables, or resources available for the course.

You can check out all the details of UEA’s BEng Engineering course here.

It is worth noting that UEA has a new state-of-the-art teaching and learning building, especially for scientists and engineers, due to open in July 2019! Take an animated tour here!

Norwich is a great place to live, too! It is relatively affordable to rent in Norwich which would save some cash!

Please let me know if you’d fancy any more info on the course or UEA’s facilities (or Norwich in general)!

Emilie Official UEA TSR Rep
Reply 3
Original post by Swansea University Enquiries
Hi @Chamith97,

I'm happy to go over what we here at Swansea can offer you in terms of a great education, but do you already have in mind what is important to you? Is it university rankings, is it employability prospects, is it the facilities and research of the university? There are lots of factors to consider, and if you highlight some things that really matter to you I'll tell you all about us! There's so much I could say that I'd like to hear your thoughts first, as I don't want to send you so much information at once that it all becomes a bit too much to process. Our Engineering department has recently moved to our Bay Campus with state-of-the-art buildings and facilities, so I could write paragraphs about how that benefits our Mechanical Engineering students alone!

With regards to cost, something you should certainly consider is the cost of living. Rent is something to consider, and Swansea is noted to be extremely affordable, as is Norwich - but I'd personally put us on top not just for the rent costs but also for the general cost of goods and services here. On top of that, depending on where you live you may also want to factor in the cost of travel between home and university, and how many times you'd plan to do that throughout the year. We've actually put together a rough guide to budgeting as a student for you to see how affordable studying in Swansea is. You may find that because of that, coming to us may be more cost effective than looking at lower-tuition universities in more expensive areas.

Like I said, I don't want to put an info dump in your notifications - please do let me know what matters to you and I'll help you work out if we're the right choice for you, and suggest other things you may wish to consider.

Jamie

First of all thank you for the informative reply. What i fundamentally search and expect from a university is its modules and employability after graduation. And the university's resources as well. One go through all those 4 years to ultimately get a better than average job, so, employability really matters. Swansea is next to the beach so thats cool anyway.
Reply 4
Original post by University of East Anglia
Hi Chamith97,

What are your main priorities when considering a course? There are lots of things to consider, such as the modules on offer, whether you like the feel of the campus, position on the league tables, or resources available for the course.

You can check out all the details of UEA’s BEng Engineering course here.

It is worth noting that UEA has a new state-of-the-art teaching and learning building, especially for scientists and engineers, due to open in July 2019! Take an animated tour here!

Norwich is a great place to live, too! It is relatively affordable to rent in Norwich which would save some cash!

Please let me know if you’d fancy any more info on the course or UEA’s facilities (or Norwich in general)!

Thank you for the reply. What i seek in a university is its modules and employability. Thirdly the resources. Ya Norwich seems a pretty affordable city.
The unis i have mentioned including UEA are highly and so closely ranked the league tables wont do any help either. So,..
First of all thank you for the informative reply. What i fundamentally search and expect from a university is its modules and employability after graduation. And the university's resources as well. One go through all those 4 years to ultimately get a better than average job, so, employability really matters. Swansea is next to the beach so thats cool anyway.

Hi @Chamith97,

That's great, you've got a clear idea of what matters to you and on that basis I can get you the information you need.

From the university centrally, we offer a lot of employability support through the Swansea Employability Academy. Throughout your studies, you will have the opportunity to attend on-campus career fairs and other employability events, while we also offer advice and support on creating a great CV that will attract employers' attention as well as providing skills development opportunities for everything recruitment-related, including interviews and networking strategies. We don't stop caring once you've got that degree though - and as such, you would have access to these services for up to two years after graduating with us to make sure that you have the support you need to make a strong start in your career.

You mentioned four years at a university, so I suspect with your employability focus you are considering taking a course with a year in industry. If you were to do this, we would help you find the right placement and support you throughout your time in industry (as well as prepare you beforehand), making sure that you gained as much as possible from the experience. This would massively bolster your CV as a graduate, with experience and contacts already under your belt as you enter a competitive recruitment market where you would have an advantage of many of your peers.

On the subject of module content, I must admit that I am not an expert on the matter. On that basis, if I could ask for your patience I am going to speak to my colleagues in the College of Engineering to obtain further information for you to help you make your decision. Either myself or a colleague will return to this thread as soon as possible with that for you!

I do hope the information I've given thus far is helpful, but please do ask followup questions if you have any.

Jamie
(edited 4 years ago)
Thank you for the reply. What i seek in a university is its modules and employability. Thirdly the resources. Ya Norwich seems a pretty affordable city.
The unis i have mentioned including UEA are highly and so closely ranked the league tables wont do any help either. So,..

Hi @Chamith97,

Thank you for responding!

As for modules, UEA’s Engineering course has a really great variety of Optional study modules in Year 2 and Year 3 alongside the Compulsory modules. It would be great to have a look through and see if these are relevant to your interests and passions!

As for employability, UEA has a careers service called CareerCentral which provide lots of help with interviews, CV writing, job opportunities and anything else. As a recent graduate of UEA, I can say first-hand that I found this service really useful. The service is available to you while you are a student, but also for 3 years after you graduate.

You could also opt for the BEng Engineering with a Year in Industry course if you fancied spending a year in an industrial placement to boost your employability.

If you have any more questions, please let me know!

One more check in from me @Chamith97!

I've got hold of a copy of our digital handbook for first year module selections for the course. Information on modules on later years can be found on our course page. Please do take a look and see if they cover the content that matters most to you.

With regards to employability with Mechanical Engineering specifically I've been in touch with Nishan, the Employability Manager within the College of Engineering. He's seen this thread and he's got the following message for you:

We’ve got a really good employability rate after graduation. We are very proud of the excellent career prospects of our engineering degrees and are 9th in the UK for our Graduate Prospects and 97% of our graduates are in employment or further study within 6 months of studying (16/17 Graduate DLHE). If you really want to maximise your chances, I would recommend our degree scheme with a year in industry, we’ve got a 100 % employability record for students who studied on the scheme.

We look to maximise our students’ employability mainly in two ways: skills development (tailored career advice, placement and job search support, drop-in sessions, mock interviews, mock assessment centres, peer mentoring, CV guidance); and with direct support from industry to increase your chances of contact (Careers Fair, Employer Talks, industrial site visits, guest lectures, Year in Industry scheme, summer placement support and Alumni networking sessions).

Finally, one thing I just have to tell you about concerns the facilities we offer. The course we offer is based in our new Bay Campus, and this means that your teaching environment is state-of-the-art; you'd be learning in new, modern buildings with provisions that put you at the forefront of the industry today, and you can take a look at them here.

I hope that gives you plenty to help you make a decision, but if you'd like any more information please do let me know and I'll talk to the relevant people for you :smile:

Jamie
Reply 8
I study engineering at sussex and generally the module range is pretty good in my opinion. Besides typical mechanics + electronics modules, there is a module for writing CVs and reports and there’s a couple modules for business in engineering + project management which is helpful if you want to go into management etc. I like computing and there’s a few modules which teach programming too depending on which route you take. It’s really easy to switch which type of engineering you do too if you find you like certain modules more than others. Apparently we’re really good for employability (haven’t graduated yet so can’t confirm.) One thing I would say is Sussex has dropped in the tables over the past 2-3 years so you may want to take that into consideration, although I expect it will go back up :smile: Brighton itself is a very expensive city where it’s generally the norm to pay upwards of 600pcm on rent and bills, so if you find your student finance will not cover this it may be best to look for a cheaper city. The timetable is pretty packed if you plan to work (16-22hours usually) but 9/10 times your wednesday will be free so you can work if you wanted to
Good luck choosing :smile: I hope you enjoy your degree

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending