The Student Room Group

Going into year 10

Hi, just wondering if anyone had any helpful tips and things to do to get ready year 10 (+starting gcses)?????? (how many binders and organization, whether notebooks are better, any helpful sites, how to write out effective notes etc... ) Thanks!
Reply 1
Original post by aaa24
Hi, just wondering if anyone had any helpful tips and things to do to get ready year 10 (+starting gcses)?????? (how many binders and organization, whether notebooks are better, any helpful sites, how to write out effective notes etc... ) Thanks!

And also if ring binders are better than lever arch files and whether u should do the system of keeping all your folders at home and then taking only one to school!
Reply 2
I’ve just finished year 10. I didn’t actually need any binders folders etc for school, I used them all to organise my revision at home. Useful websites I’ve used throughout the year are - corbetmaths, GCSEPod, quizlet, active learn (maths), Seneca (maths and science) and bbc bite size. If you have picked either an art subject or a sport subject (or both,which I did) I recommend having quite a big bag that will fit both in because you are likely to have both these subjects in one day and tend to carry a lot for them. For revision I use revision guides mostly (CGP) but I make mind maps, revision cards etc. Make your notes colourful, they tend to stay in your brain more. Always revise, just keep on top of it without stressing yourself out because it will pay off in the end, you will have mocks in year 10 at the end of the year and all the revision counts towards it and saves you loads of time, I got really good results on my mocks through loads of revision.
Reply 3
Original post by Elle.c
I’ve just finished year 10. I didn’t actually need any binders folders etc for school, I used them all to organise my revision at home. Useful websites I’ve used throughout the year are - corbetmaths, GCSEPod, quizlet, active learn (maths), Seneca (maths and science) and bbc bite size. If you have picked either an art subject or a sport subject (or both,which I did) I recommend having quite a big bag that will fit both in because you are likely to have both these subjects in one day and tend to carry a lot for them. For revision I use revision guides mostly (CGP) but I make mind maps, revision cards etc. Make your notes colourful, they tend to stay in your brain more. Always revise, just keep on top of it without stressing yourself out because it will pay off in the end, you will have mocks in year 10 at the end of the year and all the revision counts towards it and saves you loads of time, I got really good results on my mocks through loads of revision.

thanks so much, quick question, for english revison does anyone have any handy tips (e.g. with quotes etc.) -- (english being not my favourite :redface:)
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 4
I made flash cards on everything for English, on one side a quote and on the other side the meaning of the quote etc. The more you revise the more you’ll figure out what works best for you. At the beginning of year 10 I had to fail tests just to realise what worked for me and what didn’t. It really isn’t as hard as people think Year 10 is just prep for year 11 just work hard and stay focused
Reply 5
Original post by Elle.c
I made flash cards on everything for English, on one side a quote and on the other side the meaning of the quote etc. The more you revise the more you’ll figure out what works best for you. At the beginning of year 10 I had to fail tests just to realise what worked for me and what didn’t. It really isn’t as hard as people think Year 10 is just prep for year 11 just work hard and stay focused

Reply 6
Oh and also there are sooooo many revision guides and books online that you can buy that cost about a fiver
Original post by aaa24

Study groups help a lot. My siblings did that and it helped them. I thought why not give it a try.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending