The Student Room Group

About to be kicked out of University - 1st Year. Need some Advise

Yeah, to keep it short, I've made a series of stupid, careless mistakes.

My downfall started towards the end of 6th form. I was one of the top students. Predicted AAA (math, biology, chemistry). Was a great student overall. Then came applying for universities. I applied to study Biomedical science at 5 different unis. No more than 3 weeks later, I got 4 unconditional offers out of the 5. I became arrogant, cocky. Started hanging out with the wrong crowd. Stopped revision. Missed classes. Thought I could ace all of my A level exams, just like I aced my GCSEs with little to no revision (mostly a's and some b's).

Results days came, I got a UUU. But I didn't care, because I was already guaranteed a place at my choice uni.

1st Year of university came. I'm sure you're all away aware of the freedom that comes along with it. I was a decent student for around a month or 2. Then my old habits started to creep back. Missed lectures. Missed essential lab sessions. Missed assignments, and failed modules. You know how the story goes. This June I was set to retake about 5 modules and 3 exams. And I ****ed that up as well. Left everything to the last minute, and whilst I attended the exams, I didn't submit some of the assignments that I needed to pass those modules, because of a lack of time.

So here we are. I am probably most likely going to be kicked out. My attendance was **** and I failed the resits. I think it's just a matter of time. Over the last week all few weeks I have been superseded by guilt. I realized I potentially ****ed up my future and wasted so much time doing pointless things. I do regret it all. But at the same, sitting here and feeling guilty all day will do nothing for me.

So I have devised to get my **** together, because I do want to get somewhere in life and I am a very, very capable student. I want to self-study my for maybe about 9/10 months and then retake my A-Levels as an external candidate in an exam center nearby. And of course, I'll pick up a part time job to fund myself. I absolutely cannot let my parents find out, otherwise I'll most likely be disowned or some ****. So I kinda have to lead a double life, lol.

So here are my questions. First off, is this a good plan? Or are the much better options that I'm unaware of? I did my A-Levels in 2017, has a lot changed since then? Or is it pretty much the same? Please don't suggest doing apprenticeships or anything of the kind, I'm not interested. Thank you for your time
(edited 5 years ago)
Sounds like a pretty good plan. Keeping in mind that you are a pretty determined student, you can do it. Also, since you already know your setbacks, you should work on avoiding them as much as possible. I don't think A levels changed but I'd recommend checking the syllabus while waiting for upcoming seniors to answer that part. Good luck :smile:
Original post by Throwaway2448

My downfall started towards the end of 6th form. I was one of the top students. Predicted AAA (math, biology, chemistry). Was a great student overall. Then came applying for universities. I applied to study Biomedical science at 5 different unis. No more than 3 weeks later, I got 4 unconditional offers out of the 5. I became arrogant, cocky. Started hanging out with the wrong crowd. Stopped revision. Missed classes. Thought I could ace all of my A level exams, just like I aced my GCSEs with little to no revision (mostly a's and some b's).

Results days came, I got a UUU. But I didn't care, because I was already guaranteed a place at my choice uni.

1st Year of university came. I'm sure you're all away aware of the freedom that comes along with it. I was a decent student for around a month or 2. Then my old habits started to creep back. Missed lectures. Missed essential lab sessions. Missed assignments, and failed modules. You know how the story goes. This June I was set to retake about 5 modules and 3 exams. And I ****ed that up as well. Left everything to the last minute, and whilst I attended the exams, I didn't submit some of the assignments that I needed to pass those modules, because of a lack of time.

So here we are. I am probably most likely going to be kicked out. My attendance was **** and I failed the resits. I think it's just a matter of time. Over the last week all few weeks I have been superseded by guilt. I realized I potentially ****ed up my future and wasted so much time doing pointless things. I do regret it all. But at the same, sitting here and feeling guilty all day will do nothing for me.

So I have devised to get my **** together, because I do want to get somewhere in life and I am a very, very capable student. I want to self-study my for maybe about 9/10 months and then retake my A-Levels as an external candidate in an exam center nearby. And of course, I'll pick up a part time job to fund myself. I absolutely cannot let my parents find out, otherwise I'll most likely be disowned or some ****. So I kinda have to lead a double life, lol.

So here are my questions. First off, is this a good plan? Or are the much better options that I'm unaware of? I did my A-Levels in 2017, has a lot changed since then? Or is it pretty much the same? Please don't suggest doing apprenticeships or anything of the kind, I'm not interested. Thank you for your time

Retaking A levels is probably your best option, but a good alternative might be a Foundation course - an extra year of your degree but probably no need to retake A levels in that case. However, if you're looking to enter a competitive industry, having A levels would probably be better. If you really want to stay at your current university I'm sure there will be an appeals process, but I certainly wouldn't have high hopes for it.

Have you looked at other options just before you dive in? sometimes depending on the university you are able to sit certain classes to get a pass. I have heard on people in my lectures having the same problem.

Sounds like a reasonable plan apart from the bit regarding misleading your parents. How will you explain that it's taken you 5 years to complete an undergraduate degree?
Reply 5
Original post by Admit-One
Sounds like a reasonable plan apart from the bit regarding misleading your parents. How will you explain that it's taken you 5 years to complete an undergraduate degree?

Thread is a year old
Original post by Drewski
Thread is a year old

So they've only got four years study left to explain to Mum & Dad :wink:

I am curious to know what happened here tbh. Shame they've not posted recently.

Latest

Trending

Trending