The Student Room Group

Ask a student who went through Clearing!

If you have a question about your Firm or Insurance choices, Clearing or other UCAS-related issues then please ask your question HERE or post in the A Level Results Day FAQ or Clearing and Adjustment FAQ threads.

Hi guys! :hi:

I'm Cheese :wavey: I'm a Vegetable :h: and I went through Clearing to get my University place studying Chemistry at the University of Southampton :woo:

This thread is here to answer any of your questions about going through Clearing, what it is, any worries you have or just any questions about University in general :tongue:

The amazing @Airmed (who has worked on a clearing hotline twice) and the ever so helpful @harrysbar have also agreed to lend a hand with answering any of your questions! Please feel free to tag any of us, we don't bite ( much :mmm: )! @Bio7 was also super helpful last year and so may be able to help out! :yep:

There are loads more of these threads which you can find listed below. They are for different subjects and different Universities so please take a look!

If you would also like to offer a helping hand, just let us know! :ta:

Useful Links:
What is Clearing? How does it work and what are the steps?
University Clearing Vacancy lists
Clearing Threads and Help from Universities Themselves
Last year's thread!
UCAS's new "release from firm directly into clearing button" FAQs

The Steps of Going Through Clearing:
Step 1: on results day both firm and insurance uni choices reject you. Or you may have released yourself into clearing after careful consideration that you no longer wish to go to your firm/insurance options and that another opportunity has been found better suited to you!
You are in clearing and are given a clearing number.

Step 2: phone up unis you want to apply to and see if you can get a place. This involves stating your clearing number, name, phone number and grades and saying why you want to go to said uni/do said course.

Step 3: if they offer you a place, consider it and wait for an email with confirmation of a place for which you can apply to using UCAS. If successful skip to 5.

Step 4: if unsuccessful repeat step 2-3.

Step 5: consider all places offered by researching and doing a pro/con list for each. Then enter your chosen uni + course into UCAS using your clearing number after you have confirmation of a place being offered by a uni.

Step 6: time to celebrate aka pizza time, u earned it you're off to Uni :woo:
(edited 4 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I didn't go through Clearing but have worked twice on a Clearing helpline :smile:
Step 1 - or the applicant might have self released themselves into Clearing....which they shouldn't really do before making sure a better option is available :smile:
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by harrysbar
Step 1 - or the applicant might have self released themselves into Clearing....which they shouldn't really do before making sure a better option is available :smile:

Have added that in - thank you :hugs:
Reply 4
Will the UCAS show acceptance/release early in the morning on results day before we collect the results?
Original post by psu
Will the UCAS show acceptance/release early in the morning on results day before we collect the results?

sometimes UCAS track will show the result of your application to your universities before you get your results. sometimes not as I believe track opens at a specific time.
are you getting your results online?
Original post by psu

Track will update around 8am on results day so some people could find out their Uni decisions before they collect their results
Step 7: check my thread for law clearing places
Original post by Notoriety
Step 7: check my thread for law clearing places

if you give the link I can pop it in the OP :woo:
Reply 9
Original post by CheeseIsVeg
sometimes UCAS track will show the result of your application to your universities before you get your results. sometimes not as I believe track opens at a specific time.
are you getting your results online?

Thanks, no I will be going to my school to get the results. Have waited for this long but feels like another 10 days is going to kill me. :-/
Original post by psu
Thanks, no I will be going to my school to get the results. Have waited for this long but feels like another 10 days is going to kill me. :-/

ah ok. depending on what time you go in, track may have already updated with a result. still do go and get your results as you may want to consider remarks etc. for advice your school may be able to help you and there are links in the OP to further help :smile:

I know how awful it feels to be waiting still :redface: but please try to take your mind off things and know that apart from making sure you're prepared, there's not too much you can do. do the things you enjoy, see friends and family and try to distract yourself :cube:
you're amazing and it's gonna be ok no matter what happens! I can prove that :cool:
Reply 11
ah ok. depending on what time you go in, track may have already updated with a result. still do go and get your results as you may want to consider remarks etc. for advice your school may be able to help you and there are links in the OP to further help :smile:

I know how awful it feels to be waiting still :redface: but please try to take your mind off things and know that apart from making sure you're prepared, there's not too much you can do. do the things you enjoy, see friends and family and try to distract yourself :cube:
you're amazing and it's gonna be ok no matter what happens! I can prove that :cool:

Thanks so much for being there, it does help!
I went to uni this year for law however dropped out in early 2019. I have applied again through clearing for a different course to start in September, however when I login to ucas track it shows my old application like my old personal statement and offers that were withdrawn or successful then etc. Also I can’t add any clearing choices because of that? I’m not really sure.
Original post by Gemma pex
I went to uni this year for law however dropped out in early 2019. I have applied again through clearing for a different course to start in September, however when I login to ucas track it shows my old application like my old personal statement and offers that were withdrawn or successful then etc. Also I can’t add any clearing choices because of that? I’m not really sure.

It's not clear to me what has happened, but did you ever make a new application to UCAS for entry in 2019/20? The best thing is to phone UCAS for advice
If you have a question about your Firm or Insurance choices, Clearing or other UCAS-related issues then please ask your question HERE or post in the A Level Results Day FAQ or Clearing and Adjustment FAQ threads.

I'm Cheese :wavey: I'm a Vegetable :h: and I went through Clearing to get my University place studying Chemistry at the University of Southampton :woo:

This thread is here to answer any of your questions about going through Clearing, what it is, any worries you have or just any questions about University in general :tongue:

The amazing @Airmed (who has worked on a clearing hotline twice) and the ever so helpful @harrysbar have also agreed to lend a hand with answering any of your questions! Please feel free to tag any of us, we don't bite ( much :mmm: )! @Bio7 was also super helpful last year and so may be able to help out! :yep:

There are loads more of these threads which you can find listed below. They are for different subjects and different Universities so please take a look!

Useful Links:
Last year's thread!

Step 1: on results day both firm and insurance uni choices reject you. Or you may have released yourself into clearing after careful consideration that you no longer wish to go to your firm/insurance options and that another opportunity has been found better suited to you!

Step 2: phone up unis you want to apply to and see if you can get a place. This involves stating your clearing number, name, phone number and grades and saying why you want to go to said uni/do said course.

Step 3: if they offer you a place, consider it and wait for an email with confirmation of a place for which you can apply to using UCAS. If successful skip to 5.

Step 5: consider all places offered by researching and doing a pro/con list for each. Then enter your chosen uni + course into UCAS using your clearing number after you have confirmation of a place being offered by a uni.

This all sounds so long and confusing😪
Original post by Yasmin1224
This all sounds so long and confusing😪

it's not too long
and not confusing!

this opening post turned into a long one sorry :redface:

if you have any specific questions please feel free to ask :smile:
I have a few questions:
When you phone up a University will they have a specific phone number on their website for clearing?
Will the university always send an email once they have offered you a place?
Do you have a time limit to respond to the offers and put them into ucas system before the offer expires?
Original post by Danbeeee
I have a few questions:
When you phone up a University will they have a specific phone number on their website for clearing?
Will the university always send an email once they have offered you a place?
Do you have a time limit to respond to the offers and put them into ucas system before the offer expires?

yes. usually they have a clearing hotline - on uni websites and there may be a list in a link thread in the op! :smile:

most of the time they do. I think all of mine did. the email can take a while to come through and it is just another way of confirming the verbal offer that they should've given you. :borat:

yes. depending on the uni and course and how many clearing spots, I had a 2 hour deadline for 2 offers I got. a few of them wanted to know when I'd decided in order to then offer my place to another student immediately and they often will call you back if they're pressured for time and ask if you still want the uni to hold the place for you etc.

Useful Links:
Last year's thread!

Fab thread, Cheese!

Asking for others as I am sure this will come up - how many universities did you speak to, and how long did they give you to decide? :smile:
Original post by Edminzodo
Fab thread, Cheese!

Asking for others as I am sure this will come up - how many universities did you speak to, and how long did they give you to decide? :smile:

y thank ye Edmin :hat2:

I spoke to about 15 universities I think?
Sheffield gave me the least time (2 hours)
the others gave me offers and I took about 3-4 hours deciding which to take!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending