The Student Room Group

Ask a student who went through Clearing!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by CheeseIsVeg
y thank ye Edmin :hat2:

I spoke to about 15 universities I think?
Sheffield gave me the least time (2 hours)
the others gave me offers and I took about 3-4 hours deciding which to take!

That's great!

On the phone, did you prepare a script beforehand? And what kind of things were you asked?
Original post by Edminzodo
That's great!

On the phone, did you prepare a script beforehand? And what kind of things were you asked?

I prepared answers to questions such as 'why this uni' 'why this course'
I also had to hand, info I knew I needed such as my clearing number, grades and anything else important I think you have some sort of UCAS ID number as well?

I also had a few of my own questions about accommodation etc.

wasn't asked much apart from grades and about my EPQ
although when speaking to Southampton I was able to speak to the chemistry admissions team and they asked me what I was interested in etc. :smile:
The thing applicants sometimes don't realise is that the uni staff are generally kind and helpful, it's nothing to worry about having to talk to them on the phone! My daughter got into Lancaster uni via Clearing and I still remember how lovely some of the staff were to her at a time when she was feeling vulnerable. There was a tutor at Swansea who was so friendly to her I've got a soft spot for Swansea even now, and an Admissions tutor at Lancaster suggested a clever way to get her onto a course she didn't officially have the grades for :smile:
Reply 23
Original post by harrysbar
The thing applicants sometimes don't realise is that the uni staff are generally kind and helpful, it's nothing to worry about having to talk to them on the phone! My daughter got into Lancaster uni via Clearing and I still remember how lovely some of the staff were to her at a time when she was feeling vulnerable. There was a tutor at Swansea who was so friendly to her I've got a soft spot for Swansea even now, and an Admissions tutor at Lancaster suggested a clever way to get her onto a course she didn't officially have the grades for :smile:

That sounds very reassuring. I certainly for one hate calling people especially when all they want to do is seem to waste my time and I get nowhere with what I want to sort out. Anyways, clearing has been something I've been seriously considering for a while 1) I'm kinda worried I might not get the grades and 2) I don't think my firm choice is the right place for me and I want to have other options open to me. :smile:
Original post by CoffeeAndPolitics
That sounds very reassuring. I certainly for one hate calling people especially when all they want to do is seem to waste my time and I get nowhere with what I want to sort out. Anyways, clearing has been something I've been seriously considering for a while 1) I'm kinda worried I might not get the grades and 2) I don't think my firm choice is the right place for me and I want to have other options open to me. :smile:

The year my daughter used Clearing was also a really difficult one since it just before tuition fees rose so no none was taking a gap year - the unis had so many applicants they didn't have to be flexible, but they still tried hard to help because they know how hard it is for young people who are disappointed by their results. I think this will be a good year for applicants going into Clearing and whether or not you get the grades, there will be other good options to explore :smile:
Reply 25
The year my daughter used Clearing was also a really difficult one since it just before tuition fees rose so no none was taking a gap year - the unis had so many applicants they didn't have to be flexible, but they still tried hard to help because they know how hard it is for young people who are disappointed by their results. I think this will be a good year for applicants going into Clearing and whether or not you get the grades, there will be other good options to explore :smile:

Sorry to hear that your daughter's experience of Clearing was really difficult but like you've said, unis want to help and recruit students via clearing and adjustment so they need to be approachable. As for Clearing and Adjustment this year and getting into uni overall, UCAS Alan said that this cycle should present a good opportunity as compared to those born later than 2000/2001, there's less competition for spaces. Should I have any questions, I'll be on here tagging you lot. :smile:
Original post by CoffeeAndPolitics
Sorry to hear that your daughter's experience of Clearing was really difficult but like you've said, unis want to help and recruit students via clearing and adjustment so they need to be approachable. As for Clearing and Adjustment this year and getting into uni overall, UCAS Alan said that this cycle should present a good opportunity as compared to those born later than 2000/2001, there's less competition for spaces. Should I have any questions, I'll be on here tagging you lot. :smile:

Please do! It’s ok, it worked out well in the end as it normally does :h:
hi, I've got a question, if I meet my requirements for a conditional firm offer, can I still go through clearing ? thanks
Original post by awaiskhanay18
hi, I've got a question, if I meet my requirements for a conditional firm offer, can I still go through clearing ? thanks

Yes, for the first time this year UCAS have introduced a change that allows you to release yourself into Clearing, rather than having to get permission from the uni that has made you a firm offer. There are advisory posts about it on TSR - including one at the top of this forum page. The main point is that you need to be very sure that you have a better offer lined up before you release yourself into Clearing. As a minimum, you should have a verbal offer from another uni that they will accept you and preferably an emailed offer. Don't just switch to a different uni on impulse, think about it carefully including things like will accomodation be available to me at the new uni.
Reply 29
is there going to be more vacancies once the results are out?
Original post by Alixia
is there going to be more vacancies once the results are out?

It's likely that there will be more vacancies being advertised once the A level results are out, since unis will know more where they stand (although some vacancies will be getting filled now by non A level people whose results are already out)

Aw that's really nice to hear about the Swansea tutor. I will definitely back @harrysbar there! They are trained to help and really want what's best for you on the day!
Yes, for the first time this year UCAS have introduced a change that allows you to release yourself into Clearing, rather than having to get permission from the uni that has made you a firm offer. There are advisory posts about it on TSR - including one at the top of this forum page. The main point is that you need to be very sure that you have a better offer lined up before you release yourself into Clearing. As a minimum, you should have a verbal offer from another uni that they will accept you and preferably an emailed offer. Don't just switch to a different uni on impulse, think about it carefully including things like will accomodation be available to me at the new uni.

thank you 👍
If you don't make the requirements for your firm and insurance choices can you still apply to the same unis and courses for clearing?
Original post by Zano-le-voleur
If you don't make the requirements for your firm and insurance choices can you still apply to the same unis and courses for clearing?

You can but if they were prepared to accept someone with BBB for example, they would have accepted you in the first place rather than rejected you. They aren’t more lenient with Clearing applicants than they are with the students who have already applied to them. They will accept near miss applicants before they open their spaces to other students in Clearing
Just wondering who should I call on results day? Admissions or the department of the subject that I want to study?
Original post by Reeb7911
Just wondering who should I call on results day? Admissions or the department of the subject that I want to study?

Hi @Reeb7911,

Almost every university is likely to have a Clearing Helpline or equivalent as the first thing you see when you open up their website homepage on results day. That will certainly be the case for us, and I will be quite surprised if any university with clearing spaces doesn't do the same!

Jamie
I’m in a bit of a weird position - I applied via a form to the university direct instead of using UCAS (long story short I don’t have A-levels). That was last week. How long will it take until I hear back from them to know whether I’ve got a place?
Original post by Reeb7911

There will be a list of Clearing Hotline numbers that you should be calling :smile: usually as the time approaches, these will appear on the homepage of the Uni website :yy:
Sometimes they will refer you to admissions and so I would always make sure you can speak about why you want to study your subject and why at this certain uni just in case they ask :yep:

@CoffeeAndPolitics it's quite daunting at first to call someone because you don't really do it too often
but the people on the other side of the phone are lovely and do want to help you as much as they can! They are all trained and I don't think I had any bad experiences with them. The Sheffield people were really nice but a bit pushy - if they give you a deadline they mean it :lol:

but after clearing etc. you do gain confidence speaking over the phone
it's the first call nerves but after that you'll be just fine :hugs:
Original post by shelbywilsher88
I’m in a bit of a weird position - I applied via a form to the university direct instead of using UCAS (long story short I don’t have A-levels). That was last week. How long will it take until I hear back from them to know whether I’ve got a place?

It's not clear whether the uni will be waiting for A levels results next week before deciding whether they can offer you a place or not. It's best to give their Admissions a call and ask when you can expect to hear back from them

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending