The Student Room Group

GCSEs 2020

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Elle.c
Think about what you are passionate about, where do you see yourself in 5-10 years? What do you love, what was your favorite lesson in school. If being a doctor isn’t for you then don’t study it because you won’t enjoy it

Thanks so much!!
Reply 21
Original post by EmmaGh
Thanks so much!!

You are welcome! If you have anymore worries, message us!
Original post by Elle.c
Think about what you are passionate about, where do you see yourself in 5-10 years? What do you love, what was your favorite lesson in school. If being a doctor isn’t for you then don’t study it because you won’t enjoy it

on a similar note, i also am not entirely sure, i enjoy reading medical books (non fiction and fiction) and enjoy biology but sometimes doubt if its the right thing for me. It also seems overwhelming at the same time....:confused::argh:
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 23
Original post by aaa24
on a similar note, i also am not entierely sure, i enjoy reading medical books (non ficiton and fiction) and enjoy biology but soemtimes doubt if its the right ting for me. It also seems overwhmelimgn at the same time....:confused::argh:

I suppose going down that route would be lots of hard work but if you are prepared to do that then it’s worth thinking about? Do you have the option to chance your courses early on in college if you decide you don’t want to do something?
Original post by Elle.c
I suppose going down that route would be lots of hard work but if you are prepared to do that then it’s worth thinking about? Do you have the option to chance your courses early on in college if you decide you don’t want to do something?

im in the sistuation of being 99% sure but that 1% is tripping me up.....i would want to go into a creative job possibly like architecture/engineering if nto a more sciency one (i like computer science too):s-smilie:
Reply 25
Original post by aaa24
im in the sistuation of being 99% sure but that 1% is tripping me up.....i would want to go into a creative job possibly like architecture/engineering if nto a more sciency one (i like computer science too):s-smilie:

I know someone who had the same thought as you, she now aims to be a biomedical engineer. Do some research on careers that stem from those subjects :smile:
Original post by Elle.c
I know someone who had the same thought as you, she now aims to be a biomedical engineer. Do some research on careers that stem from those subjects :smile:

Thanks!!! :wink:
Reply 27
Original post by aaa24
Thanks!!! :wink:

You are welcome!!
Original post by shady1402
Hi!!
I’m so worried about next year. Even though I tried my hardest I did so bad in mocks this year and I’m scared it’s going to repeat itself next year. If you don’t mind me asking what did you get in mocks? I got

Art-7
Biology-5
Chemistry-5 (even though I was so confident with the exam)
English Language-5
English Literature-5(I answered the poem question wrong so I’m not too bothered)
Maths-5(I don’t revise for it at all, I really should)
Physics-4
Rs-4(did an exam after, got a 9)
Spanish-3(one mark off 4, didn’t revise at all)
I also now get extra time because they found out I have dyslexia sooo I hope that helps next year:smile:

Hi! I got around the same mock results as you, some of mine were a little lower though oopsie. I've been really worried too about my results next year because I feel like no matter how hard I revise for my exams, I always do terribly. Do you find this too? Hopefully your extra time comes in useful!
Hey guys!
I've been looking everywhere for this thread, I'm so glad I finally found it!
Last year was really hard for my because of my anxiety and some issues with my friends and no matter how hard I tried I did very badly in my exams. I'm really hoping that Y11 is better and that I figure out how to revise effectively because GCSEs are so soon and I'm very worried about how my results will turn out. I have a studyblr - @/rheastudies - which I find really helpful for motivation but sometimes I just get really burnt out and can't bring myself to do any work. Does anybody here take art? If so how do you manage the workload - I can't and I really want to drop it but I can't manage to convince my mum to let me...
-r
Reply 30
Original post by Rach-studies
Hey guys!
I've been looking everywhere for this thread, I'm so glad I finally found it!
Last year was really hard for my because of my anxiety and some issues with my friends and no matter how hard I tried I did very badly in my exams. I'm really hoping that Y11 is better and that I figure out how to revise effectively because GCSEs are so soon and I'm very worried about how my results will turn out. I have a studyblr - @/rheastudies - which I find really helpful for motivation but sometimes I just get really burnt out and can't bring myself to do any work. Does anybody here take art? If so how do you manage the workload - I can't and I really want to drop it but I can't manage to convince my mum to let me...
-r

Hi!! I have suffered with severe anxiety for 3 years now so I know exactly how you feel! Rather than dwelling on the bad results in your mocks - pick out some positives, think to yourself ‘okay I didn’t do very well on this, so now I need to work on it’ but don’t over work yourself. I take gcse art, it’s very stressful and time consuming. I really don’t manage my work load if I’m being honest, I have so much to catch up but just do bits in my own time. With it being summer I’ve done quite a lot so just use your time. I want to drop it too but unfortunately it is too late into the course and I have already dropped one of my subjects. Hope this helps :smile:)
Reply 31
I did okay in my mocks, a lot to improve on but I think with time I could I'm mainly worried about physics, RE and sociology

Maths - 7
Eng Lang - 7
Eng Lit - 8
Bio - 6
Chem - 8
Physics - 6
History - 8
French - 7
Psychology - 7
Sociology - 6
RE - 5
Reply 32
I'm just stressed about having so little time left, as well as picking A Levels. I'll probably pick Biology, Chemistry and Maths but I feel like it'll be too hard and idk what career I wanna go into. Maybe medicine, architecture or engineering,🤔
Original post by Elle.c
Does anybody study Macbeth, blood brothers and/or a Christmas carol in English?

Yes. i study a christmas carol. i hate it
Original post by _asia.xo3
I'm just stressed about having so little time left, as well as picking A Levels. I'll probably pick Biology, Chemistry and Maths but I feel like it'll be too hard and idk what career I wanna go into. Maybe medicine, architecture or engineering,🤔

I want to go into medicine and for A levels I'm doing biology, chemistry and either art/psychology/sociology and sometimes I have doubts because I really enjoy biology and sometimes I enjoy chemistry but my grades aren't good enough at the moment so idk what to do :frown:
Original post by Elle.c
Hi!! I have suffered with severe anxiety for 3 years now so I know exactly how you feel! Rather than dwelling on the bad results in your mocks - pick out some positives, think to yourself ‘okay I didn’t do very well on this, so now I need to work on it’ but don’t over work yourself. I take gcse art, it’s very stressful and time consuming. I really don’t manage my work load if I’m being honest, I have so much to catch up but just do bits in my own time. With it being summer I’ve done quite a lot so just use your time. I want to drop it too but unfortunately it is too late into the course and I have already dropped one of my subjects. Hope this helps :smile:)

Thank you! Yeah I've got loads to catch up on before school starts again but hopefully I manage to do it before I go on holiday...
Reply 36
I want to go into medicine and for A levels I'm doing biology, chemistry and either art/psychology/sociology and sometimes I have doubts because I really enjoy biology and sometimes I enjoy chemistry but my grades aren't good enough at the moment so idk what to do :frown:

What are your grades? But I feel like if like a subject you'll be more motivated to work hard and so do better. If you are prepared to work hard you can probably do it. You could ask your teachers what they think. Good luck though :smile:
Original post by _asia.xo3
What are your grades? But I feel like if like a subject you'll be more motivated to work hard and so do better. If you are prepared to work hard you can probably do it. You could ask your teachers what they think. Good luck though :smile:

I got a 5 in both biology and chemistry. I think where I went wrong is I just made notes, I didn't revise or practice them at all so the is what I have been doing this summer:smile:
I got a 5 in both biology and chemistry. I think where I went wrong is I just made notes, I didn't revise or practice them at all so the is what I have been doing this summer:smile:

i cant believe in tis day and age of grade inflation people still get 5s
my mock grades were:
english lang - 6 (one mark off a bloody 7)
we didn’t do eng lit
maths - 5 didn’t revise at all
chemistry- 9
biology - 9
physics - 9 or 8 idk not sure
german - 5 (that’s the highest u could get since it was foundation)
computing - 6 (couple of marks off a 7)
art - 7
RE - 9

Quick Reply

Latest