The Student Room Group

I know this will sound retarded

How to revise using flashcards. ( GCSE Geography Edexcel) Don't know how to use flashcards effectively.
Reply 1
Original post by JoeAmo15
How to revise using flashcards. ( GCSE Geography Edexcel) Don't know how to use flashcards effectively.

Don’t worry, it doesn’t sound stupid!! It took me quite a while to find the most useful way of getting the most out of flashcards.

I think one good way is to write questions on one side and the shortest answer possible on the reverse, using & highlighting any of the key terminology/figures directly from the specification.

Another good way is to write the name of a topic on the front. Then on the back, you bullet point all of the key information in the simplest way possible using abbreviations and pictures to replace words where possible. So instead of writing ‘volcano’ out you may just draw a volcano, or instead of writing ‘increases’ you could just use an upwards arrow, for example. My favourite is using instead of therefore.

The aim is to have as little number of words on the flashcard as possible whilst it still makes sense.

I think this video would be helpful for the best and most detailed visual advice:
https://youtu.be/duHSfvNQpY0

I hope this helps in some way :smile:
Reply 2
Thanks, appreciate this so much as I'm going all out this summer holiday with revision while also remembering to take breaks. Currently on a 2+ in geography and with Year 11 fast approaching progress is needed.
Reply 3
Original post by JoeAmo15
Thanks, appreciate this so much as I'm going all out this summer holiday with revision while also remembering to take breaks. Currently on a 2+ in geography and with Year 11 fast approaching progress is needed.

That’s no problem at all, happy to help.

You definitely have the right approach, just remember to enjoy your summer also!! If you make your revision resources now and remain as organised and on top of things as you seem to be, I’m sure you’ll be just fine and see all of your hard work pay off in the end.

Quick Reply

Latest