The Student Room Group

Forced to wear pakistani clothes

I am forced to wear pakistaani clothes everywhere and i am 15. I dont want to be rude to my parents anyway
Okay... your 15 try and stand up to them... they may be harsh on you but tell them you dont want to wear it...

the prophet sajd that you must never stand out of a crowd... unless its haram... and youre wearing long robes when people are in jeans and chillin... so tell them that
Reply 2
Original post by captainamerica77
Okay... your 15 try and stand up to them... they may be harsh on you but tell them you dont want to wear it...

the prophet sajd that you must never stand out of a crowd... unless its haram... and youre wearing long robes when people are in jeans and chillin... so tell them that

But they wont listen
This is coming from someone who is ethnically east Asian but chose not to/ didn't want to connect with my culture and this is left me feeling so sad that I left behind a part of me and I'm now unable to even communicate with my own parents or relatives in my own mother tongue which is pretty sad really.
Love amd embrace you culture and heritage. Are you only saying this because ur peers don't wear the same clothes?
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by elodiedechale
This is coming from someone who is ethnically east Asian but chose not to/ didn't want to connect with my culture and this is left me feeling so sad that I left behind a part of me and I'm now unable to even communicate with my own parents or relatives in my own mother tongue which is pretty sad really.
Love amd embrace you culture and heritage. Are you only saying this because ur peers don't wear the same clothes?

Yh
‘Paki clothes’ 🤨
R u a coconut or smth (not trying to be rude)
(edited 4 years ago)
pakistani clothes are bufffff tho 😍😍looks better than jeans and a top imo
urghh I remember those days, my family are pretty traditional and the women forever wear salwar kameezzes therefore me and my sisters were expected to do the same thing. I thought it was standard in every Asian family but honestly many are very laid back and let the girls wear English clothes. It was so damn annoying, especially on Eid seen as we never had a car and my stingy ass dad would always make us take the bus to family members house so we had to wear fancy Asian clothing, high heels and a ton of make up and go on the bus dressed like that! and for many years we lived in a very white area! sooooo glad those days are over man!!
Everywhere as in EVERYWHERE or just 1 or 2 family functions?
Reply 9
Original post by SlightlySummer
‘Paki clothes’ 🤨
R u a coconut or smth (not trying to be rude)

My dad is half white and my mum is paki
Reply 10
Original post by dunya
everywhere as in everywhere or just 1 or 2 family functions?

everywhere
Reply 11
Original post by MyFightSong
urghh I remember those days, my family are pretty traditional and the women forever wear salwar kameezzes therefore me and my sisters were expected to do the same thing. I thought it was standard in every Asian family but honestly many are very laid back and let the girls wear English clothes. It was so damn annoying, especially on Eid seen as we never had a car and my stingy ass dad would always make us take the bus to family members house so we had to wear fancy Asian clothing, high heels and a ton of make up and go on the bus dressed like that! and for many years we lived in a very white area! sooooo glad those days are over man!!

How did you end that
Original post by TSR2019123
Yh

Please don't take any of this offensively, but Pakistani clothes and the culture is very beautiful! Please don't neglect your heritage because of your friends and the people around you! If you truely feel uncomfortable, then by all means don't wear the clothes, but please don't make it out to sound like such a negative thing to be wearing Pakistani clothes. Also I'm in no way trying to tell you how to dress, please wear what you want :smile:

If you try telling your parents the reason why but in a nice and reasonably calm way, they may understand, I would just be careful in how you phrase it. Remember nothing will change if you don't make it happen.
I am forced to wear pakistaani clothes everywhere and i am 15. I dont want to be rude to my parents anyway

I get what you're saying. If you live in a western country, you're also living in a western society and within western culture. Its not the norm to wear asian clothes here like back home. A girl would wear asian clothes back in college and everyone would make fun of her. However, in asian culture, 15 is a bit young to go against parents but they need to understand that once a child enters puberty, parents need loosen the reins a bit.
How did you end that

we became adults and reminded our parents that we were now old enough to make our own decisions. i still have to wear salwar kameez when family comes over of course but when they are not here i wear english clothes. and anytime there is a family occasions we go by car now cos thankfully my two siblings drive. and if not we take an uber

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending