The Student Room Group

Period in middle of first pill pack?

2 weeks and 2 days ago my girlfriend started taking the desogestrel mini-pill which is meant to be strong enough to stop her from ovulating completely. Prior to that she wasn't on any other contraception but condoms. She didn't start the pill on the first day of her period, but a few weeks after her period ended. Now she's 2 weeks in and she just got her period, while on the pill. Is this normal? I thought you're not meant to have your period on the pill, especially in the middle of a pack? She used to take the same pill last year and said it stopped her period completely.

She thinks it's her period as she normally gets it around this time of month and it's the second day with a lot of bleeding.
Original post by Anonymous
2 weeks and 2 days ago my girlfriend started taking the desogestrel mini-pill which is meant to be strong enough to stop her from ovulating completely. Prior to that she wasn't on any other contraception but condoms. She didn't start the pill on the first day of her period, but a few weeks after her period ended. Now she's 2 weeks in and she just got her period, while on the pill. Is this normal? I thought you're not meant to have your period on the pill, especially in the middle of a pack? She used to take the same pill last year and said it stopped her period completely.

She thinks it's her period as she normally gets it around this time of month and it's the second day with a lot of bleeding.

It's normal because she's only just started the pill. It can take 3 months for the body to get used to the pill.
Original post by Anonymous

Desogestrel can suppress ovulation but it can't completely stop periods in all cases, some people get them but some people don't.

Quick Reply

Latest