The Student Room Group

Secondary teaching with a Psychology Degree

Hi there,
I graduated last year with a 1st in psychology. I am really interested in becoming a secondary school teacher but I am looking for some advice on the best route to go down for me. I am aware that not many secondary schools offer psychology as a subject and I feel a bit stuck about what to do.
I have an A level in business studies so could perhaps try looking at this, but if anything I am more interested in R.E if I cannot do psychology. I couldn't study this at A level so does this rule me out of doing an SKE? I have researched everything but just can't seem to find the right information for me! Any advice/recommendations would be welcome, I need a change and I really want to teach!

Thankyou!
Hi

Plenty of secondary schools do still offer psychology as a subject, and it is possible to get employment as a psychology teacher. I believe some unis do offer Psychology PGCEs, or psychology in conjunction with other subjects. It might be a good idea to contact these unis to talk through your options. There's a list of some possible courses here:
https://www.postgraduatesearch.com/pgs/search?course=psychology&qualification=pgce

To get a place on an RE PGCE, you'd probably need to have some RE content in your degree and/or RE A-level. As it sounds like you don't have either, and RE isn't really a shortage subject, I think this would probably unfortunately be a non-starter. However, it's worth contacting providers about the business studies option.

Often, once you have a job in a school, you can get opportunities to teach outside your subject too, so from that point of view, it doesn't matter too much what subject you do your PGCE in.

I hope this helps a bit.
Reply 2
Original post by SarcAndSpark
Hi

Plenty of secondary schools do still offer psychology as a subject, and it is possible to get employment as a psychology teacher. I believe some unis do offer Psychology PGCEs, or psychology in conjunction with other subjects. It might be a good idea to contact these unis to talk through your options. There's a list of some possible courses here:
https://www.postgraduatesearch.com/pgs/search?course=psychology&qualification=pgce

To get a place on an RE PGCE, you'd probably need to have some RE content in your degree and/or RE A-level. As it sounds like you don't have either, and RE isn't really a shortage subject, I think this would probably unfortunately be a non-starter. However, it's worth contacting providers about the business studies option.

Often, once you have a job in a school, you can get opportunities to teach outside your subject too, so from that point of view, it doesn't matter too much what subject you do your PGCE in.

I hope this helps a bit.

Hi,

Thank you so much for your response. Yes upon researching further I do think R.E is a non-starter which is unfortunate! Because I live in North Wales I'm finding it very difficult to find a pgce near me that is psychology based. My degree does have a layover with business studies as I studied a whole module on organisational psychology so perhaps this would be more preferable, would universities take this and my a-level into account if I applied? I am just worried about applying for something that isn't the same as my degree.

Thanks again!
Original post by jesssdraper
Hi,

Thank you so much for your response. Yes upon researching further I do think R.E is a non-starter which is unfortunate! Because I live in North Wales I'm finding it very difficult to find a pgce near me that is psychology based. My degree does have a layover with business studies as I studied a whole module on organisational psychology so perhaps this would be more preferable, would universities take this and my a-level into account if I applied? I am just worried about applying for something that isn't the same as my degree.

Thanks again!

I'd suggest contacting unis directly to see if they'd consider you for business. Unis can vary on exactly what they'll accept, so it's always worth a try.

I know some unis in England but close to Wales do offer the chance to do a teaching placement in Wales so that you can teach in Wales when you qualify, so it might be worth looking a little further away from home? You'd be entitled to student finance funding for the year, so you might be able to afford to live out?
Reply 4
Original post by SarcAndSpark
I'd suggest contacting unis directly to see if they'd consider you for business. Unis can vary on exactly what they'll accept, so it's always worth a try.

I know some unis in England but close to Wales do offer the chance to do a teaching placement in Wales so that you can teach in Wales when you qualify, so it might be worth looking a little further away from home? You'd be entitled to student finance funding for the year, so you might be able to afford to live out?

Hi,

Yes that'll be my next step, I really want to teach so its definitely worth a try. Unfortunately I rent a home with my partner so can't go and live somewhere closer right now, if anything I would have to be prepared to do a long commute to Manchester.

Thank you very much for your help.
Original post by jesssdraper
Hi,

Yes that'll be my next step, I really want to teach so its definitely worth a try. Unfortunately I rent a home with my partner so can't go and live somewhere closer right now, if anything I would have to be prepared to do a long commute to Manchester.

Thank you very much for your help.

That might not be impossible if the uni were able to offer you placements between your home and Manchester.

However, if this is what you really want to do, would it not be worth living apart for a year (Well, 10 months, really)? You'd still be able to spend the holidays together, and I'm sure you'd be able to visit at some weekends?
I'm based in Wales and I'm aware of people teaching science (Biology) with Psychology degrees, is this something you've thought about?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending