Debdoos
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi. I have been allocated Stockbridge accommodation- Can anyone who is on a Bognor course tell me what the commute from Stockbridge is like to Bognor
Do I have to walk 20 mins to Chichester campus to then catch the 40 minute shuttle bus to Bognor.? Any advice please as 7 miles away halls on an industrial estate is not looking appealing.
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Debdoos)
Hi. I have been allocated Stockbridge accommodation- Can anyone who is on a Bognor course tell me what the commute from Stockbridge is like to Bognor
Do I have to walk 20 mins to Chichester campus to then catch the 40 minute shuttle bus to Bognor.? Any advice please as 7 miles away halls on an industrial estate is not looking appealing.
Looking at it the train station seems close by 300m and then its a 30 min journey to Bognor.

If your course is in Bognor then although the main Chichester campus is near you, wouldnt you be better off living in Bognor? Save time and money?

Website driving me mad. Ask to be moved or put on the waiting list for the accommodation they have in Bognor if thats where your course is or consider private renting even if it means you miss out on some hall/ freshers. People drop out or dont make grades.

https://student.spareroom.co.uk/flat..._id=851889430&
University of Chichester
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
There is a bus stop at Avenue De Chartres which is a 10/15 minute walk away from Stockbridge where our free U7 bus service goes to! Our accommodation team are more than happy to talk to you to put you on their waiting list to move over to Bognor Campus halls if you'd prefer, you can contact them on [email protected] or 01243816069 (you'll get a response quicker if you call)

Stockbridge halls aren't on the industrial estate, they are next door to Chichester Gate which is an entertainment complex full of restaurants, the cinema, bowling alley and air arena, and you are also very close to the train station and a short walk from Chichester city. There are over 400 rooms at Stockbridge so like a student village. There are halls tours on our Instagram highlights (@universityofchichester) or we did a live video on our Facebook Applicant Group of a tour around Stockbridge

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask!
University of Chichester
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by 999tigger)
Looking at it the train station seems close by 300m and then its a 30 min journey to Bognor.

If your course is in Bognor then although the main Chichester campus is near you, wouldnt you be better off living in Bognor? Save time and money?

Website driving me mad. Ask to be moved or put on the waiting list for the accommodation they have in Bognor if thats where your course is or consider private renting even if it means you miss out on some hall/ freshers. People drop out or dont make grades.

https://student.spareroom.co.uk/flat..._id=851889430&
We do have a free U7 bus service for students, it goes between both of our campuses and to our Fishbourne halls. We have a bus stop called Avenue De Chartres that is about a 10/15 minute walk away from Stockbridge and then bus takes 30 minutes from there, there are always lots of students on the bus too

There is a waiting list in Accommodation for anyone who'd like to switch which our accommodation team will try their best to help all students! They can be contacted on [email protected] or 01243816069
999tigger
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by University of Chichester)
We do have a free U7 bus service for students, it goes between both of our campuses and to our Fishbourne halls. We have a bus stop called Avenue De Chartres that is about a 10/15 minute walk away from Stockbridge and then bus takes 30 minutes from there, there are always lots of students on the bus too

There is a waiting list in Accommodation for anyone who'd like to switch which our accommodation team will try their best to help all students! They can be contacted on [email protected] or 01243816069
My point would be if your lectures are in Bognor and you have been placed at Stockbridge, then door to door you could have an hour commute each day. That is insanely inconvenient for a student if they have to do it every day. Debdoos
https://www.ucsu.org/pageassets/heretohelp/intercampusbus/INTERCAMPUS-bus-timetable-Jan-19.pdf

Did I miss the map where it shows the location of all the student halls? It was late so I may have just missed it.
Hannah Jarvis
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
My point would be if your lectures are in Bognor and you have been placed at Stockbridge, then door to door you could have an hour commute each day. That is insanely inconvenient for a student if they have to do it every day. Debdoos
https://www.ucsu.org/pageassets/heretohelp/intercampusbus/INTERCAMPUS-bus-timetable-Jan-19.pdf

Did I miss the map where it shows the location of all the student halls? It was late so I may have just missed it.
Hello! As a student who lived in Stockbridge and travelled to Bognor four days a week - I had a really good time! The bus is really not an issue, and plenty of students take that same journey each year! The Stockbridge Halls are home to 400 odd students, so it really helps build the community getting on the bus with your friends over to lectures, and the journey flies by. Plus most Bognor students only need to travel in 3/4 days a week, unless their course load is more than 12 hours of contact time per week! I loved living in Chichester and the journey to Bognor campus didn't matter to me that I then stayed living in Chi and travelling to Bognor for the rest of my degree!
999tigger
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Hannah Jarvis)
Hello! As a student who lived in Stockbridge and travelled to Bognor four days a week - I had a really good time! The bus is really not an issue, and plenty of students take that same journey each year! The Stockbridge Halls are home to 400 odd students, so it really helps build the community getting on the bus with your friends over to lectures, and the journey flies by. Plus most Bognor students only need to travel in 3/4 days a week, unless their course load is more than 12 hours of contact time per week! I loved living in Chichester and the journey to Bognor campus didn't matter to me that I then stayed living in Chi and travelling to Bognor for the rest of my degree!
Very useful for the OP, but what about students just living in Bognor? i.e within walking distance?
Is Chichester much nicer, larger etc?
Hannah Jarvis
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
People prefer each campus for different reasons - Chichester has the benefits of being a city, with quite an aged demographic, making it feel safe! Chi has plenty of part-time jobs, activities and entertainment. Bognor is a seaside town, so the sea is only a short walk from campus accommodation, with a great club on the beach too. I had plenty of friends who lived in Bognor halls and loved being able to roll out of bed and into lectures, and they would all go eat meals together at the canteen with their flats/peers. Each accommodation at Chichester Uni has a different vibe but I think that's where people truly find themselves. Living in a different location to my seminars was quite nice as I had some warm-up time to get my brain working before getting to work, plus I would still hang out with my Bognor friends and go for meals, and go out together!
999tigger
Report 1 month ago
People prefer each campus for different reasons - Chichester has the benefits of being a city, with quite an aged demographic, making it feel safe! Chi has plenty of part-time jobs, activities and entertainment. Bognor is a seaside town, so the sea is only a short walk from campus accommodation, with a great club on the beach too. I had plenty of friends who lived in Bognor halls and loved being able to roll out of bed and into lectures, and they would all go eat meals together at the canteen with their flats/peers. Each accommodation at Chichester Uni has a different vibe but I think that's where people truly find themselves. Living in a different location to my seminars was quite nice as I had some warm-up time to get my brain working before getting to work, plus I would still hang out with my Bognor friends and go for meals, and go out together!
Thanks for the feedback. I hope the OP comes back and reads it. My feeling is I would rather be on site as I would hate that commute.
The other way besides feedback from actual students is just to visit and check the journey or use googlemaps.
Debdoos
Rep:
?
Thanks for the feedback. I hope the OP comes back and reads it. My feeling is I would rather be on site as I would hate that commute.
The other way besides feedback from actual students is just to visit and check the journey or use googlemaps.
Thank you for all your words of advice. The 60 minute each way commute is what worried me as she is on a course with high contact hours and 8am start every day
sounds a fun campus with that many students it must be really social and Great opportunity to meet new circle of friends
hopefully after results day there may be some movement
999tigger
Report 1 month ago
Thank you for all your words of advice. The 60 minute each way commute is what worried me as she is on a course with high contact hours and 8am start every day
sounds a fun campus with that many students it must be really social and Great opportunity to meet new circle of friends
hopefully after results day there may be some movement
I was just voicing what I would expect as the point about Halls is you normally get to live close to campus. You could travel a long way in an hour.
At least Chichester and Hannah (who knows more than me ofc as she is an actual student) provided insight and I would address any concerns to her.

If they do have Halls in Bognor, then I would want to be on that waiting list so I know I didnt have an hour commute, wanted to nip home then I could and wanted to stay out late I could as well without worrying about catching the last bus. With you and your daughter then maybe a second visit to confirm the difference and do the journey as that will show you the reality of both sites and the journey. According to Hannah Chichester does have advantages, so best to consider both sides. I am just pointing out things that would be relevant to me and how I would decide.

You should say thanks to Hannah for taking the time to give her invaluable insight and experience. GL.
Debdoos
Rep:
?
Thank you. That us really useful to know and a really good point ypu make about having time to warm up your brain ! Thx again
Hannah Jarvis
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Thank you. That us really useful to know and a really good point ypu make about having time to warm up your brain ! Thx again
No problem - just so I understand better, is she joining the Musical Theatre Triple Threat degree? I know a fair few people on that course that chose to live in Chichester to get a better balance and feel like they were travelling in for 'work' and then be able to separate themselves from their degree on the weekends. But absolutely chat to accommodation about swapping to Bognor, there will be a waiting list for each halls - also, if you move into Stockbridge and find yourself struggling, some people do change halls mid-way through the year for a variety or reasons so you may be able to switch throughout the year if you find it really unbearable.
Debdoos
Rep:
?
No problem - just so I understand better, is she joining the Musical Theatre Triple Threat degree? I know a fair few people on that course that chose to live in Chichester to get a better balance and feel like they were travelling in for 'work' and then be able to separate themselves from their degree on the weekends. But absolutely chat to accommodation about swapping to Bognor, there will be a waiting list for each halls - also, if you move into Stockbridge and find yourself struggling, some people do change halls mid-way through the year for a variety or reasons so you may be able to switch throughout the year if you find it really unbearable.
Thank you yes it is the TT course but that is good advice about separating work and play. Thank you for your help x
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What's your favourite genre?

Rock (208)
23.64%
Pop (218)
24.77%
Jazz (33)
3.75%
Classical (49)
5.57%
Hip-Hop (169)
19.2%