The Student Room Group

Should I turn down a £29k job

So I have just graduated with a degree in paediatric nursing and secured a job in operating theatres (29k).
I’ve obviously done A LOT of placements in hospitals wards and community but realised nursing is not for me.
As stupid as it sounds I want a 9-5 in an office. I don’t mind if the pay is significantly lower I just want to be happy with the work life balance and recognition for what I do.
A lot of people have called me for jobs (recruitment consultant roles) offering me A LOT of money, incentives and great career progression. Unfortunately, I haven’t been able to secure a job due to my nursing background being a “massive red flag” and the “lack of sales” experience regardless of my transferable skills.
I don’t know what other industry to go into and how because interviewers tend to ask you why you want to downgrade (e.g. receptionist).
Should I just accept the job in theatres for 6 months or continue applying in a different sector? I’ve been to 15 interviews so far
Reply 1
The issue is interviewers saying I’m “overqualified” for the role. As a nurse I can’t apply to a receptionist role for example as they find it absurd that I’m going into a different industry.
put it in your cv that you're looking to change sectors or get rid of it all together except the degree and say you are not looking for a nursing specific job. either way i say stick to nursing.
Original post by maryam0398
So I have just graduated with a degree in paediatric nursing and secured a job in operating theatres (29k).
I’ve obviously done A LOT of placements in hospitals wards and community but realised nursing is not for me.
As stupid as it sounds I want a 9-5 in an office. I don’t mind if the pay is significantly lower I just want to be happy with the work life balance and recognition for what I do.
A lot of people have called me for jobs (recruitment consultant roles) offering me A LOT of money, incentives and great career progression. Unfortunately, I haven’t been able to secure a job due to my nursing background being a “massive red flag” and the “lack of sales” experience regardless of my transferable skills.
I don’t know what other industry to go into and how because interviewers tend to ask you why you want to downgrade (e.g. receptionist).
Should I just accept the job in theatres for 6 months or continue applying in a different sector? I’ve been to 15 interviews so far

no way keep the job it’s amazing!!!
Reply 4
Is 15 interviews too much to the point I should be giving up? This is over the course of 4 months. I think the issue is the interview not my CV considering I secure the interviews. The feedback is mainly you’re overqualified, have lack of experience in the field or I am “too nice” and the job is more cut throat
Reply 5
I’ll definitely keep looking thanks xx
Have you actually worked in an office 9-5? I'd say go for it, you can obviously go back to your previous sector if things don't work out, or you could move into something else entirely. If you don't mind me asking, how old are you?
Reply 7
Original post by Gatewaymerge
Have you actually worked in an office 9-5? I'd say go for it, you can obviously go back to your previous sector if things don't work out, or you could move into something else entirely. If you don't mind me asking, how old are you?

I’m 21. Im currently working in a clinic which is kind of a similar role except more clinical for me. I want to give it a go however, I just don’t get an interview or I don’t pass the interviews.
Just a thought-receptionist in a aesthetics clinic, complete a course where I’m qualified to inject and become an aesthetics nurse, potentially progress in my career and own my own clinic? Just scared I’m going to ruin someone’s face and get sued😭
I’m 21. Im currently working in a clinic which is kind of a similar role except more clinical for me. I want to give it a go however, I just don’t get an interview or I don’t pass the interviews.
Just a thought-receptionist in a aesthetics clinic, complete a course where I’m qualified to inject and become an aesthetics nurse, potentially progress in my career and own my own clinic? Just scared I’m going to ruin someone’s face and get sued😭

So your end goal here is to be an aesthetics nurse? Therefore, you'll probably have to indeed do some sort of course. I think most people going for cosmetic surgeries know the risk that it could potentially mess up. I'm sure there'd be clauses that probably mean you can't be liable but I'm not too sure, you're going to have to research it.
Reply 9
Original post by Gatewaymerge
So your end goal here is to be an aesthetics nurse? Therefore, you'll probably have to indeed do some sort of course. I think most people going for cosmetic surgeries know the risk that it could potentially mess up. I'm sure there'd be clauses that probably mean you can't be liable but I'm not too sure, you're going to have to research it.

I wouldn’t say it’s my end goal. The main reason I thought of this was because working in an environment around makeup, beauty etc would be fun I guess compared to the boring normal shifts nurses do
"Despite having trained in nursing I'm looking to apply my people-first approach to an XYZ position"

Something like that. I think you can easily link the two.

More importantly, recruitment jobs aren't going to be 9-5 hours. Not a snowball's chance in hell of that.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by DuckDodgers
"Despite having trained in nursing I'm looking to apply my people-first approach to an XYZ position"

Something like that. I think you can easily link the two.

Also, recruitment jobs aren't going to be 9-5. Not a snowball's chance in hell of that.

I’m going to use your advice and apply for more jobs! Do you think I should include something like that in my CV? Also I was thinking recruitment because I wanted the fun, social environment not a 9-5!
I’m going to use your advice and apply for more jobs! Do you think I should include something like that in my CV? Also I was thinking recruitment because I wanted the fun, social environment not a 9-5!

Yes absolutely, do ensure that your past roles highlight the skills you think are important for the type of job you're going for.

Second, I'm very skeptical about recruitment but if you're after a job with a fun, social role then it could suit you. I stand by my point that I don't think you'll be working 9-5 though as it's a sales-driven roles and regularly means people have to stay later or start earlier.

It's part of the incentives, which translates into meeting targets, or beating other recruiters.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 13
Original post by DuckDodgers
Yes absolutely, do ensure that your past roles highlight the skills you think are important for the type of job you're going for.

Second, I'm very skeptical about recruitment but if you're after a job with a fun, social role then it could suit you. I stand by my point that I don't think you'll be working 9-5 though as it's a sales-driven roles and regularly means people have to stay later or start earlier.

It's part of the incentives, which translates into meeting targets, or beating other recruiters.

Thank you so much!!

Perseverance is the key. Nursing might not have sales skills but it is a patient centred role which involves working with others to ensure the patient (customer) receives the level of care (service) possible. The fact that you have a nursing degree (I presume) means that you straight away have a STEM degree, which shows that you have some rudimentary analytical skills which can be useful in other fields such as accounting, consulting, analytics, finance, health (obviously), compsci, management, education.

Regarding how to answer a "why do you want to downgrade", dont treat it as a downgrade, but as an opportunity to try another field (@DuckDodgers gave a good sentence to use).
@In anycase, best of luck
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 15
Original post by quasa
Perseverance is the key. Nursing might not have sales skills but it is a patient centred role which involves working with others to ensure the patient (customer) receives the level of care (service) possible. The fact that you have a nursing degree (I presume) means that you straight away have a STEM degree, which shows that you have some rudimentary analytical skills which can be useful in other fields such as accounting, consulting, analytics, finance, health (obviously), compsci, management.

Regarding how to answer a "why do you want to downgrade", dont treat it as a downgrade, but as an opportunity to try another field (@DuckDodgers gave a good sentence to use).
@In anycase, best of luck

Thank you!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending