The Student Room Group

Living from home at uni

Help, im living at home and not in halls.
How can I make friends?
Also what's the best way to make friends on your first day/lecture? I dont want to be sat in a lecture alone lol x
Societies are the best way to make friends
Original post by Anonymous
How can I make friends?
Also what's the best way to make friends on your first day/lecture? I dont want to be sat in a lecture alone lol x

sit next to someone and say hey.

it's an amazing trick that helps people make friends
Reply 3
Original post by mnot
sit next to someone and say hey.

it's an amazing trick that helps people make friends

lol. thANKS
lol. thANKS

all seriousness, everyone is nervous about this stuff, but Uni is very easy to make friends (especially in freshers week) just gotta say hello to a couple people.
How can I make friends?

Hey! :smile:

I think joining a club or society will be a fun way to meet new people, and because you'll have a shared interest in something it should make conversation much easier :thumbsup:

I have a blog post from a student who lives at home, he shares some great tips on how to meet new people when you don't live in student accommodation:

Studying from home- a rarely mentioned student: https://bit.ly/2MDhvWZ

Your tutor might suggest an ice breaker activity on your first day, so everyone is introduced to one another. I think it's important to remember that everyone is in the same boat and is hoping someone will talk to them, so have a smile on your face and say hi to everyone! You could ask them how they are, if they're looking forward to university life, if they're interested in joining a club or society :biggrin:

Good luck :smile:

Becky
Reply 6
Take advantage of messenger groups. You might have one for your subject, which was invaluable for me making friends on my course, as well as society specific ones - as everyone else has said, join societies! Make sure to show up to the subject activities during freshers week, and be welcoming and friendly to everyone.

Heck, one of my closest uni friends I made just by assuming I'd already met her when we came into one of our first lectures and being like 'yes, friend!' (clue: I had not actually met her before that day, but we were just happy to have friendship), so that could work!
How can I make friends?

you knew what you were letting yourself in for when you made that decision. you need to just focus on your studies until graduation
Societies are a good idea to make friends.

Living at home can be a lot harder, but, don't worry, if you make an effort with people on your course, it should go okay. Make an effort. Everyone is in the same boat as you, really.

Hope this helps!
Joshua :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending