The Student Room Group

Trump scapegoats video games as the cause of mass shootings

https://news.sky.com/story/trump-blames-mental-illness-video-games-and-social-media-for-mass-shootings-11778094

Okay first off, I want to begin this saying that I am not a Trump supporter, nor am I a Trump hater. I also believe that social media goes hand in hand with some of the rise in violence. Some of the stuff he's done has been good, other stuff he has done has been stupid, the type of things you'd see a primary school child do.

But Donald Trump yet again fails to realise the current threat of the far-right and the far-left. Instead of blaming them, he rushes to scapegoat video games as a reason for the cause of mass shootings. There is no way that video games can cause violence UNLESS, it is played by the wrong person. For example, the columbine shooters descended into mental madness after repetitively playing the game DOOM, with one of them trying to recreate their school as a map. It is also worthy to note that one of the columbine shooters also happened to be a far-right nut case which shows evidence that extremism has continued for the past decades, only recently is it becoming a bigger threat.

Even in the past decades, far-right extremism is present in the United Kingdom. The stabbing of Stephen Lawrence was committed by racist nut cases who also held far-right views. It is pretty clear that the far-right are becoming a greater threat and soon they will attack the UK if law enforcement do nothing about it.

The Dayton shooting was committed by a far-left nut job which also demonstrates that extremism is becoming a greater threat on both sides. Groups such as Antifa should be condemned as a terrorist group the same way that AtomWaffen division is a terrorist group in America. If you look at Antifa's activities, they also strike to create fear in conservatives or people who disagree with liberalism, it is clear that America has a social problem, not a problem with video games. No one is willing to do anything about this social problem because they'd rather seek to join the far-left or far-right. It has become a matter of who's side you are on at this point and both sides are just as racist as each other.

Some may say that these American issues have no affect on the UK, but they do. Just look at the way that their values and ideas have become greatly imposed on the UK in the past few years with ideas of greater independence and consumerism. In addition, the same social justice and political rubbish has also made its way here. Antifa are present in the UK and so are far-right extremists such as Tommy Robinson and the EDL. If we don't act now, we'll have the same problems America has in the future. The problem is extremism, not video games

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Yeah this claim annoyed me as well. From what I've read, there have no conclusive studies showing that violent videogames have an effect on real-world violence, with most showing that they don't. It just seems like he is saying things to bring out emotions in his supporters and is skirting around the actual problems.
https://www.oii.ox.ac.uk/news/releases/violent-video-games-found-not-to-be-associated-with-adolescent-aggression/

https://royalsocietypublishing.org/doi/10.1098/rsos.171474

Oxford published a study earlier this year finding no correlation, so once again Trump is deflecting from the fact that he is directly responsible; he and his supporters among far right media were directly quoted or paraphrased multiple times in the El Paso shooters "manifesto".

Mass shootings in the US are a form of domestic terrorism almost exclusively carried out by far right white men, and Trump embodies everything in their ideology.
Reply 3
I'm a Trump supporter but I don't agree with his rhetoric on this issue. A contentious figure, he could have blamed goats in Syria and still received the same backlash.
The problem with the States is the second amendment. It doesn't matter who's residing in the Whitehouse or who is blamed for these atrocities.
There are so many in circulation both legally and illegally, it would take miracle not a man to change gun culture.
The rise in U.Ks knife crime reflects how globally, tensions are rising. Middle ground is becoming slimmer on both sides of the pond. You're either a radical right or a liberal left. Using the words extremism, radical etc are slowly becoming self fulfilling prophecies. It's a problem gone too far to control for any President.
Reply 4
I imagine a far bigger cause is whenever you go to a gun range state side you inevitably end up being told to shoot at a cut out person..
Reply 5
Well he is wrong, but I noticed that many of the far right ***** commenting **** on YouTube, whenever I go to their channel they always play GTA, ARMA, Call of Duty, Fortnite etc...not surprising as far righters tend to be low lives, and remember we are talking about grown ass men wasting their time playing these and spouting their far right nonsense than doing something decent for society.
(edited 4 years ago)
I’m sure the lax gun laws have nothing whatsoever to do with it... 🙄
Original post by The RAR
Well he is not completely wrong, many of the far right ***** commenting **** on YouTube, whenever I go to their channel they always play GTA, ARMA, Call of Duty, Fortnite etc...not surprising as far righters tend to be low lives, and remember we are talking about grown ass men wasting their time playing these and spouting their far right nonsense than doing something decent for society.

This shows nothing. Correlation does not imply causation.
Reply 8
Original post by NotNotBatman
This shows nothing. Correlation does not imply causation.

I know, hence why I said not completely wrong. The main fault still lies with the USA's very lenient gun laws and soft approach towards hate speech
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by The RAR
Well he is not completely wrong, many of the far right ***** commenting **** on YouTube, whenever I go to their channel they always play GTA, ARMA, Call of Duty, Fortnite etc...not surprising as far righters tend to be low lives, and remember we are talking about grown ass men wasting their time playing these and spouting their far right nonsense than doing something decent for society.

So you blame video games?

Why dont we see similar in other countries?
Do you not like or play video games?
Original post by 999tigger

Switzerland (where it has a fairly high gun ownership) as an example has strict laws that prevent nutters from obtaining guns, and lacks many of the social issues the US has (which is often the root cause for many of these shootings/homicides).
(edited 4 years ago)
Japan plays more video games than America, how many mass shootings in Japan...?
Original post by 999tigger
So you blame video games?

Do you not like or play video games?

Nope, I do like playing video games but personally have not played any of the above I listed. These far right terror attacks, it's quite clear they have not been caused by video games but brainwashing. I mentioned video games because it's something I just noticed as a pattern personally
Original post by Palmyra
Japan plays more video games than America, how many mass shootings in Japan...?

#TrumpExposed 😂
Original post by The RAR
I know, hence why I said not completely wrong. The main fault still lies with the USA's very lenient gun laws and soft approach towards hate speech

Well it is completely wrong, because if it wasn't completely wrong there would be some evidence which shows that video games cause mass shootings; given what you said this isn't any evidence of a cause, just an association. It's as if I said "all of these far right types seem to wear socks, so it not completely wrong to say that socks cause mass shootings" . Except it is completely wrong given what I have said, I've stated an association and then concluded that the association implies the causation is somewhat true. Even though it isn't and I haven't shown that at all.
Original post by NotNotBatman
Well it is completely wrong, because if it wasn't completely wrong there would be some evidence which shows that video games cause mass shootings; given what you said this isn't any evidence of a cause, just an association. It's as if I said "all of these far right types seem to wear socks, so it not completely wrong to say that socks cause mass shootings" . Except it is completely wrong given what I have said, I've stated an association and then concluded that the association implies the causation is somewhat true. Even though it isn't and I haven't shown that at all.

Ah....now that I realised it...you are right. I take it back, he is completely wrong
Reply 16
Original post by uopwerty
Shame they couldn't just shoot at someone like you.

Awe bubba, did i touch a nerve?
Original post by JoelBigSmokeTea
Switzerland as an example has strict laws that prevent nutters from obtaining guns, and lacks many of the social issues the US has (which is often the root cause for many of these shootings/homicides).

Not needed and I was speaking to RAR who has clarified the video games link. It wasnt a general comment on international comparison of gun laws.
Not a scapegoat for the entire issue but it may be a factor, it effectively desensitises people from violence at an early age.
Reply 19
Original post by C.Goodyear
Not a scapegoat for the entire issue but it may be a factor, it effectively desensitises people from violence at an early age.

I imagine most people who are compos mentis recognize there is a gulf between shooting a group of pixels with another group of them to walking into a school/mall/etc. and shooting a load of innocents. After all, allcountries have video games but only America has a mass shooting every day of the week.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending