University Rape Culture... Girls? Is It True? Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi there, I do apologize for the very sensitive nature of this question, but I've come across some articles on University 'rape culture'. Now, I will state that I don't know if I should be worried; I'm a commute student whose 25 years old, and while I'm sheltered... I also wouldn't really consider myself attractive, compared to the young women I see going to University. I'm not ugly, but I'm not attractive compared to these girls. So I feel that puts me at lower risk.

ANYWAY, I just want to ask if the risk of sexual assault is really so high at University? Things to watch out for, advice, experiences, if the thread isn't too improper.

I also realize that men can be sexually assaulted too; please feel free to add your own experiences/advice.
Anonymous #2
Report 1 month ago
Most of it probably happens at parties so you should. E fine
JohanGRK
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
"culture"
ANM775
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Hi there, I do apologize for the very sensitive nature of this question, but I've come across some articles on University 'rape culture'. Now, I will state that I don't know if I should be worried; I'm a commute student whose 25 years old, and while I'm sheltered... I also wouldn't really consider myself attractive, compared to the young women I see going to University. I'm not ugly, but I'm not attractive compared to these girls. So I feel that puts me at lower risk.

ANYWAY, I just want to ask if the risk of sexual assault is really so high at University? Things to watch out for, advice, experiences, if the thread isn't too improper.

I also realize that men can be sexually assaulted too; please feel free to add your own experiences/advice.

Sorry, but what exactly is rape "culture"?
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by ANM775)
Sorry, but what exactly is rape "culture"?
I'm not really sure what that phrase means myself... Part of the reason why I'm asking is that I'm dubious. These articles paint women at being very high-risk in University, to the point of using that term. The word 'culture' itself refers to things like traditions, social norms... Which makes it sound like every male at University is a rapist, LOL.

I don't know if it's media fear-mongering or if there is an increased risk? I felt it was something better to ask about and discuss.
Anonymous #3
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I'm not really sure what that phrase means myself... Part of the reason why I'm asking is that I'm dubious. These articles paint women at being very high-risk in University, to the point of using that term. The word 'culture' itself refers to things like traditions, social norms... Which makes it sound like every male at University is a rapist, LOL.

I don't know if it's media fear-mongering or if there is an increased risk? I felt it was something better to ask about and discuss.
I don't believe there is a culture, speaking from being a male. In most cases if rape happens it can be to anyone at any age. It's just as high as risk to not going to uni.
SteveyStack
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Just my personal experience as a guy.

I believe a lot of the ‘culture’ arrises from nights out.

I’ve been touched by random girls in clubs which is completely not ok and have seen some highly questionable behaviour by guys as well (I accept this happens a lot more to girls).

As for on campus I may be wrong but I have never heard of anything bad happening it’s only when people are intoxicated.
xoxAngel_Kxox
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I don't think there's a "rape culture" at university, but there is a "drinking culture", which makes people more vulnerable, and open to being in certain situations.

At university, you hear that it's all about drinking and sex, and I think that means a lot of the time people assume that people want sex, and may take advantage more when drunk. Add to that the fact that most people at uni are young, immature and inexperienced, the ability to cope with difficult situations - or fully understand the consequences of actions - just isn't there.

I'm not trying to make excuses for people who rape other people, but I'm just saying that it's not all dragging women into a dark alley - it can also be rape when she's had too much to drink to be able to consent, and he wrongfully assumes consent (or the other way round). So that is technically rape, but I know that a lot of young men would be absolutely mortified if they realised that what they'd done would be classified as such.

So, if you're at university, you need to take care of yourself. Never invite people back to your accommodation who you don't know, never allow yourself to get so drunk that you can't control yourself or remember your actions, and always plan how you're getting home in advance, preferably with other people from your halls. There's no excuse for rape, but you can absolutely protect yourself from the kind of rape that so often occurs on university grounds, in many cases.

Disclaimer: Not saying all cases can be prevented or fought, simply that we all need to take steps to protect ourselves in this world, whether we should have to or not.
JohanGRK
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox)
I don't think there's a "rape culture" at university, but there is a "drinking culture", which makes people more vulnerable, and open to being in certain situations.

At university, you hear that it's all about drinking and sex, and I think that means a lot of the time people assume that people want sex, and may take advantage more when drunk. Add to that the fact that most people at uni are young, immature and inexperienced, the ability to cope with difficult situations - or fully understand the consequences of actions - just isn't there.
perfect post, might as well lock the thread mods
bones-mccoy
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Just as a side note, OP, how you look doesn't matter. It's a common misconception that being deemed sexually unattractive makes you are less at risk of rape.
Last edited by bones-mccoy; 1 month ago
ANM775
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by bones-mccoy)
Just as a side note, OP, how you look doesn't matter. It's a common misconception that being deemed sexually unattractive makes you are less at risk of rape.

what is rape though if you break it down. Unwanted sexual advances

The more attractive someone is, the more unwanted sexual advances they tend to get.

I think there are many factors that can make someone at more risk or less risk of rape, and imo attractiveness is one of them.
Anonymous #4
Report 1 month ago
Problem is the drinking, and people get carried away. Some woman genuinely get raped at University if they have passed out from alcohol or the guy is extremely drunk and abusive. But I wouldn't say their is a 'rape culture'. A lot of the times you will hear about a girl getting a little bit tipsy, ends up ****ing a guy, regrets if afterwards, and then calls it rape.
AngryRedhead
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I think is more of a “put a lot of young horny drunk people together” problem that happens. If you’re not into that kind of scene and sensible with your alcohol imbibing you should be fine
AngryRedhead
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
ANM775 Rape is about power, not sexual attraction; otherwise men, old ladies, disabled people and babies wouldn’t get raped. We’d also see rape increase in the summer months if it was about sexual attraction, but we don’t.
Carlo96
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Of course no one can be 100% safe from this. But from my experience, the cases tend to happen in parties and nights out when people are engaging in hedonism and have lost control of themselves.
It's extremely unlikely to happen in the library during daytime. Though I'm not saying it definitely won't happen. As you are commuting, if you keep it to working hours it should be fine.
The other cases I do know is girls being friends with or dating the wrong guys, some who have been abusive and have ended up sexually assaulting them. So those guys are worth avoiding.
ANM775
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by AngryRedhead)
ANM775 Rape is about power, not sexual attraction; otherwise men, old ladies, disabled people and babies wouldn’t get raped. We’d also see rape increase in the summer months if it was about sexual attraction, but we don’t.
old ladies get raped far less than young women.

disabled people I don't know.

babies I don't know. Most of it isn't going to come to light as babies can't speak

I don't think rape is purely about power. Yes there is a power element, but there is also usually a sexual attraction element.
AngryRedhead
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
ANM775

The literature contradicts you I’m afraid:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/910975/

Whilst I’m not going to deny that younger females in the age 18-24 group are statistically the most victimised; older people, babies and disabled people are less likely to be in the position to report rape acted against them, so the actual numbers themselves aren’t indicative of true rapes
ANM775
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
ANM775

The literature contradicts you I’m afraid:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/910975/

Whilst I’m not going to deny that younger females in the age 18-24 group are statistically the most victimised; older people, babies and disabled people are less likely to be in the position to report rape acted against them, so the actual numbers themselves aren’t indicative of true rapes

If it isn't about sexual urges why is chemical castration effective on many pedophiles who rape children?

removing his sexual urges is effective in cutting the reoffending rate.
AngryRedhead
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
ANM775

Paedophilia is a sexual attraction to children, which is different from power seeking. If we chemically castrated a straight man or a gay man they would lose sexual interest in women or other men because it acts on testosterone as far as I’m aware.
Notoriety
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Intentional rape might be. I think in the case of uni rape "culture", we're dealing more with an issue of unintentional rape and not understanding consent fully.

To OP, I do think there is a particular problem with young people who rather suddenly start drinking and start having sex. That's what uni is for a lot of nerdy kids.
Last edited by Notoriety; 1 month ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What's your favourite genre?

Rock (130)
24.16%
Pop (125)
23.23%
Jazz (24)
4.46%
Classical (29)
5.39%
Hip-Hop (99)
18.4%