The Student Room Group

Biochemistry or Biomedical science?

Soo I'm applying to university this year, and I really want to get into drug development in the future, like creating drugs and treatments for diseases. However, when I look both courses up, they seem rather similar, with biochemistry being involved in biomedical science. Which degree would give me a higher chance of working in the drug development industry? Any answer helps and thank you!
Original post by Scorpio's Angel
Soo I'm applying to university this year, and I really want to get into drug development in the future, like creating drugs and treatments for diseases. However, when I look both courses up, they seem rather similar, with biochemistry being involved in biomedical science. Which degree would give me a higher chance of working in the drug development industry? Any answer helps and thank you!

yeah, neither. agree with the other poster, pharmacology is the degree you are looking for. you'll need the dedication to go to PhD level though.
Original post by A Rolling Stone
yeah, neither. agree with the other poster, pharmacology is the degree you are looking for. you'll need the dedication to go to PhD level though.

I've looked into that though, and isn't that more to do with the biological testing of the drugs? i was more looking into the development. There is a course in glasgow that im looking at the does biochemistry and pharamacology though.
Original post by A Rolling Stone

Oh.. yeah fully looking into it I kind of see where you're coming from

It actually makes no difference what undergrad degree you do. Your PhD and research experience will determine what sort of job you end up doing. So for the moment pick a degree that interests you, complete it and go from there.
Reply 7
I've looked into that though, and isn't that more to do with the biological testing of the drugs? i was more looking into the development. There is a course in glasgow that im looking at the does biochemistry and pharamacology though.

If you do a Pharmacology degree part of it will be chemistry, biochemistry, physiology etc. It depends what you mean by "biological testing of drugs" - that's definitely a part of it but only a part (and that's necessary for drug development. I have a Pharmacology degree and have been working in drug development for a good few years (you will be horrified if I tell you how many).

pharmacology is drug development tbh. google phases and pre-phases of clinical trials and that forms the basis of the pharmacology field

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending