The Student Room Group

Ask Pearson your questions ahead of A level results day!

Scroll to see replies

Imagine Pearson answering the questions after results day looooooooooool
Hey guys,

Just to address some of the concerns some of you have raised above. The reason we are doing this is to get the questions that are on your mind answered. TSR tries its best to help students anyway it can, sometimes this is to facilitate conversation between students but other times it's trying to get your questions in front of other organisations.

These questions will be answered by Pearson before A-level results day as previously stated, I would just ask you guys to be patient considering what a busy time of year this is for everyone involved but we will get the information to you :smile:

Last call for any more questions you guys may have!

EH
Hope it's not too late to ask a question :lol:

1.) This exam year wasn't the first time there have been issues with things like this. With the leaks the last few years, hoax papers and the same paper being used across different time zones over the past years, do you think you and other exam boards can cope in the 21st century when we live in an age of instantly shared information?
Has the lack of AS levels as a stepping stone helped or hindered in the process of examining A-levels?
Why do you guys put the grade boundaries out when you do? You used to release them the day before, why did you stop? Now students think more and more about grade boundaries do you think your approach to how they are explained and released should change?
have you taken into consideration that this is the first year where the majority of students won't have any as results to fall back on and it's based mostly on exam, minus coursework, i only had 9 exams determining if i get into uni or not whereas people before us had so many more but had the security of their as' as half grades, so will this affect marking or grade boundaries
Pearson Edexcel isn't a top exam board and probably won't be. My school and many other schools in my borough have already decided to switch Exam Board specs to AQA. To what extent will grade boundaries for A level maths be relaxed?
or adjusted? We are not asking for everyone to be given their predicted grades, but at least show some decency to those who genuinely worked hard and those who will depend on Pearson for their future degrees/universities and even careers.
On results day, what time will you release grade boundaries?
Original post by Dsk10911
On results day, what time will you release grade boundaries?

edexcel usually releases the day before, it was like that last year.
Are u guys going to inform our unis about how badly a level maths was this year , so maybe they are more lenient in choosing students this year ?
Can u let me know because if u lot can’t then I’ll email the universities myself !
Original post by kkllookkkk
Are u guys going to inform our unis about how badly a level maths was this year , so maybe they are more lenient in choosing students this year ?
Can u let me know because if u lot can’t then I’ll email the universities myself !

How badly?

Please elaborate.
Original post by MediocreSince01
How badly?

Please elaborate.

Whole of paper 3 leaked to some, some of paper 3 leaked to many. Paper 1 possibly leaked. Major changes to the specification after the course had begun teaching, which lots of Colleges either weren't notified of or failed to do anything about. Exam papers were far more difficult than last years and unlike anything seen the previous a level, last year's paper or the text books. Large elements of the spec never appeared while other areas appeared 4 or 5 times. Some collages apparently didn't have enough formula books while others were given the wrong one. Multiple arrests were made.

Just to add the the chaos Pearson gave almost no response to most of these issues (probably because they had no idea what was going on) aside from briefly saying they may not give out marks for 2 question on paper 3 as many people had already seen these questions. (I hope you can see the obvious problem that those who had not seen these questions before will have spent a long time answering them while those that got to see them before the exam may well have already known exactly how to answer them and done so very quickly, meaning these questions not being marked is quite possibly even more unfair).
Original post by YlandDylan
Whole of paper 3 leaked to some, some of paper 3 leaked to many. Paper 1 possibly leaked. Major changes to the specification after the course had begun teaching, which lots of Colleges either weren't notified of or failed to do anything about. Exam papers were far more difficult than last years and unlike anything seen the previous a level, last year's paper or the text books. Large elements of the spec never appeared while other areas appeared 4 or 5 times. Some collages apparently didn't have enough formula books while others were given the wrong one. Multiple arrests were made.

Just to add the the chaos Pearson gave almost no response to most of these issues (probably because they had no idea what was going on) aside from briefly saying they may not give out marks for 2 question on paper 3 as many people had already seen these questions. (I hope you can see the obvious problem that those who had not seen these questions before will have spent a long time answering them while those that got to see them before the exam may well have already known exactly how to answer them and done so very quickly, meaning these questions not being marked is quite possibly even more unfair).

Thanks for explaining mate , couldn’t be asked to write an essay cuz that’s how BAD it was
Original post by YlandDylan

Just to add the the chaos
(probably because they had no idea what was going on) aside from briefly saying they may not give out marks for 2 question on paper 3 as many people had already seen these questions. (I hope you can see the obvious problem that those who had not seen these questions before will have spent a long time answering them while those that got to see them before the exam may well have already known exactly how to answer them and done so very quickly, meaning these questions not being marked is quite possibly even more unfair).

Paper 1 possibly leaked.
No evidence of this

Major changes to the specification after the course had begun teaching, which lots of Colleges either weren't notified of or failed to do anything about.
The changes weren't major.

Exam papers were far more difficult than last years and unlike anything seen the previous a level, last year's paper or the text books.
Well, the grade boundaries will reflect difficulty. The idea with the new specification is to make is so that the questions aren't the same each year - it's problem solving. All maths exams this year were difficult. An A* candidate on the old specification would achieve an A* on the new specification.

Large elements of the spec never appeared while other areas appeared 4 or 5 times.
They don't have to cover the entire specification each year. And, it's not surprising that topics reappeared ie trigonometry and calculus - that's the majority of the A-Level!

Some collages apparently didn't have enough formula books while others were given the wrong one.
If this is the case, it would've affected very few candidates in the grand scheme of things. And, again, unlikely to be true.

Multiple arrests were made.
This has no impact on your grades at all.

Pearson gave almost no response to most of these issues
They're not going to comment on the difficulty of papers - mainly because they don't know until it's marked! The grade boundaries, as said above, will change to reflect the difficulty. As said again, all the maths papers were hard for all exam boards! They have responded to most of these issues.

briefly saying they may not give out marks for 2 question on paper 3 as many people had already seen these questions.
Pearson will take into account the performance of people on other questions to determine whether or not to remove the questions. They're not idiots, and they'll consider the impact it'll have on candidate performance in the rest of the paper.
(edited 4 years ago)
Paper 1 possibly leaked.
No evidence of this

Major changes to the specification after the course had begun teaching, which lots of Colleges either weren't notified of or failed to do anything about.

Exam papers were far more difficult than last years and unlike anything seen the previous a level, last year's paper or the text books.
Well, the grade boundaries will reflect difficulty. The idea with the new specification is to make is so that the questions aren't the same each year - it's problem solving. All maths exams this year were difficult. An A* candidate on the old specification would achieve an A* on the new specification.

Large elements of the spec never appeared while other areas appeared 4 or 5 times.
They don't have to cover the entire specification each year. And, it's not surprising that topics reappeared ie trigonometry and calculus - that's basically the whole lot of the A-Level!

Some collages apparently didn't have enough formula books while others were given the wrong one.
If this is the case, it would've affected very few candidates in the grand scheme of things. And, again, unlikely to be true.

They're not going to comment on the difficulty of papers - mainly because they don't know until it's marked! The grade boundaries, as said above, will change to reflect the difficulty. As said again, all the maths papers were hard for all exam boards! They have responded to most of these issues.

briefly saying they may not give out marks for 2 question on paper 3 as many people had already seen these questions.
Pearson will take into account the performance of people on other questions to determine whether or not to remove the questions. They're not idiots, and they'll consider the impact it'll have on candidate performance in the rest of the paper.

Do U work for edexcel or something , sound like them
Reply 55
Paper 1 possibly leaked.
No evidence of this

They don't have to cover the entire specification each year. And, it's not surprising that topics reappeared ie trigonometry and calculus - that's the majority of the A-Level!

While it was quite irksome seeing someone play devil's advocate here, I commend your clear level-headed reply. I think almost all the complaints stem from the fact that these papers were very difficult compared to what we had previously seen. All maths papers were hard for all exam boards but I have had a look at all and got the opinion of many others and it was clear that Edexcel had the hardest papers by quite some bit (the pure papers in particular). The fact that paper 3 was leaked doesn't help either but you are right the grade boundaries will change to reflect the difficult of the papers. (If you're wondering, I sat the papers and I was quite astounded by the massive increase in difficult compared to previous years but I am hopeful that grade boundaries will drop and as you said Pearson are not idiots so I have some faith in them) :smile:
Reply 56
Original post by kkllookkkk
Do U work for edexcel or something , sound like them

Everyone who disagrees is a shill for Edexcel apparently. Where's my payslip?
Original post by Lance18
While it was quite irksome seeing someone play devil's advocate here, I commend your clear level-headed reply. I think almost all the complaints stem from the fact that these papers were very difficult compared to what we had previously seen. All maths papers were hard for all exam boards but I have had a look at all and got the opinion of many others and it was clear that Edexcel had the hardest papers by quite some bit (the pure papers in particular). The fact that paper 3 was leaked doesn't help either but you are right the grade boundaries will change to reflect the difficult of the papers. (If you're wondering, I sat the papers and I was quite astounded by the massive increase in difficult compared to previous years but I am hopeful that grade boundaries will drop and as you said Pearson are not idiots so I have some faith in them) :smile:

But, there's only been one official paper before this- and so it's hard to judge what a "typical" paper would've looked like. I think that all that can be done is that people trust Pearson, they know what they're doing. They've done this for many, many years and will have experience with papers being more difficult that previous years.
Original post by Sinnoh
Everyone who disagrees is a shill for Edexcel apparently. Where's my payslip?

Can I get paid too, please?
Paper 1 possibly leaked.
No evidence of this

THANK YOU THIS WAS PERFECT, wish people would just stop picking random irrelevant complaints to justifying there anger. The paper 3 leak and difficulty are the only valid ‘complaints’ but even then people who are still angry about this don’t understand how grade boundaries work ffs

Quick Reply

Latest