The Student Room Group

Six Highers

I got my national 5 results today, and I passed all of them. I’m going into fifth year. In my school we were told we needed a full timetable and for me this ended up meaning I’m going to be doing six highers. I’m wondering if this is doable? And has anyone here done six highers before? My support teacher says they think I’m capable and that if I struggle I should let them know before I start failing anything but I’m worried. I also wonder if, realistically it will be an advantage as I’m aware only a small number of people do this. I should also mention the reason I cannot drop one is because my school will not allow us to have study periods as people were misusing them. I can’t take a national 5 in a highers place as the only subject I can drop is in a column which leaves me with two choices which I will never do.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I did 6 highers but over the course of 2 years (so I didn't do NAT 5s) to be honest only do it if you need 6 higher in the future if no then it's a waste of stress, cos believe me it's very stressful
Original post by mary388
I got my national 5 results today, and I passed all of them. I’m going into fifth year. In my school we were told we needed a full timetable and for me this ended up meaning I’m going to be doing six highers. I’m wondering if this is doable? And has anyone here done six highers before? My support teacher says they think I’m capable and that if I struggle I should let them know before I start failing anything but I’m worried. I also wonder if, realistically it will be an advantage as I’m aware only a small number of people do this. I should also mention the reason I cannot drop one is because my school will not allow us to have study periods as people were misusing them. I can’t take a national 5 in a highers place as the only subject I can drop is in a column which leaves me with two choices which I will never do.

Why would you have free periods with 5 Highers? They should make your timetable full, to be honest.

Could you do a Nat 5 + 5 Highers?
Original post by mary388

It's doable but 5 highers is already pretty stressful enough. If you're aware of the workload required and you are willing to do it, I don't see why not, but it won't be easy at all.
Wouldn’t recommend it. It’s pretty unnecessary workload.
I wouldn't recommend it. Far better to do better in 5 Highers than try and do 6 as the latter gives no advantage.
Reply 6
Original post by Quick-use
Why would you have free periods with 5 Highers? They should make your timetable full, to be honest.

Could you do a Nat 5 + 5 Highers?

I can’t do a nat 5 as none of the subjects would be suitable for me (pretty much construction or tree planting)
Original post by mary388
I can’t do a nat 5 as none of the subjects would be suitable for me (pretty much construction or tree planting)

I really can't see why you need to do anything on top of 5 Highers as that is usually a full timetable presuming they give you some study periods alongside them?
Reply 8
Original post by animalmagic
I really can't see why you need to do anything on top of 5 Highers as that is usually a full timetable presuming they give you some study periods alongside them?

Our school won’t give us study periods
Original post by mary388

It is doable, but it's not recommended, as it won't give you any extra advantage and you're better getting 5 at better grades, than 6 at less good grades.

I would speak again to your school, to see if they can make an exception. If they really won't let you use the time for studying, you could do something that isn't an SQA qualification, but is productive, in that time? For example, they might let you help out in a class every week, or do one of the Open University YASS modules (http://www.open.ac.uk/scotland/study/young-applicants-schools), which would mean you are learning, but without having the stress of an extra exam.
Original post by mary388
Our school won’t give us study periods

Well that’s a new one for me. I’m speechless (that’s also very rare).
Original post by mary388

I mean 5 highers is probably your best option here. Your school must be very unusual if 5 highers isn't the norm/ideal. If you have to do more than that, is there anything that would give you an easy(ish) higher/Nat 5 to self-study? Something like music if you're high level anyway or a language if you are bilingual?

Never realised that in some areas study periods were common in S5 :eek: Here it's full timetable (5 subjects) in S5 and then at least 4 of 5 columns filled in S6!
Reply 13
Original post by lilacdolphin
I mean 5 highers is probably your best option here. Your school must be very unusual if 5 highers isn't the norm/ideal. If you have to do more than that, is there anything that would give you an easy(ish) higher/Nat 5 to self-study? Something like music if you're high level anyway or a language if you are bilingual?

My highers will be Maths, English, Biology, Music, RMPS And Psychology.
Reply 14

We have five periods of each subjects each week, and seven periods on four days of the week with one exception of four periods on Friday which I’m sure is common?
Original post by Labrador99
Never realised that in some areas study periods were common in S5 :eek: Here it's full timetable (5 subjects) in S5 and then at least 4 of 5 columns filled in S6!

All the schools in Fife that I’ve had connections with have study periods in S6. Depending on the subjects there might be a lot of them, sometimes they are used for practicals. I think I’ve had a senior moment re study periods in S5 but 5 highers would very much be considered a normal full timetable and students are discouraged from doing more than that.
Original post by mary388
My highers will be Maths, English, Biology, Music, RMPS And Psychology.

What level are you at for music (ie are you already above higher level)?
Reply 17
All the schools in Fife that I’ve had connections with have study periods in S6. Depending on the subjects there might be a lot of them, sometimes they are used for practicals. I think I’ve had a senior moment re study periods in S5 but 5 highers would very much be considered a normal full timetable and students are discouraged from doing more than that.

I’m confused as to how 5 highers would make a full timetable? I have six columns in my school.
Reply 18
Original post by lilacdolphin
What level are you at for music (ie are you already above higher level)?

No. I just did national 5 music and got an A. But I don’t do it outwith school.
Original post by mary388
I’m confused as to how 5 highers would make a full timetable? I have six columns in my school.

I’m looking at one now, 5 teaching periods in a day, 4 periods per subject a week plus 2 double periods of core PE per week and one period of social education.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending